My potatoes
hey man! you're really levelling up too! your figures are looking much more balanced and fluid and natural, awesome lines too! That creature's from imagination? Keep going dude ^^

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453
Thanks man ... but as long as it's with ref I just feel sorta "meh" about everything. The creature is from imagination yea.

~~~

Some faces/heads I've tried today. My god I'm so crapp at this. Last two were from imagination and experimentation sort of. I'd appreaciate some cool tips .. especially eyes D: haha. I never seem to get them right no matter how much construction stuff I've done before on them. I mean idk it just doesn't look right to me.

Attached Files Image(s)

Your anatomy study drawings are better than mine :D And that marble sculpture study has really nice soft feel and great lighting. How come you don't share screen more often in Hangout?

Focus.
(02-18-2015, 02:18 PM)meat Wrote: Your anatomy study drawings are better than mine :D And that marble sculpture study has really nice soft feel and great lighting. How come you don't share screen more often in Hangout?

Thanks but idk .. I don't think I'm doing too well D:

~~~
Just so I don't reply without anything to show ... eeeh. Things I've done yesterday.

Attached Files Image(s)

You're doing amazing man! That fish eye lens stuff and the different lenses on the face, you show really fine control with that ^^ Love the animation and the creature too! Keep it up dude! Sooner or later you'll look at your stuff and agree with us : )

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
thanks , I kinda think I know how it works but I messed up a bit there.

~~

Attached Files Image(s)

Dang man, your killing it with these anatomy studies, makes me a little jealous dude:D

(02-25-2015, 05:31 AM)butterscotts Wrote: Dang man, your killing it with these anatomy studies, makes me a little jealous dude:D

Pff ! Your stuff is <3

~~

this took me some time tho there's barely anything in it ... newwbbbb.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey buddy! Cool stuff! I like that there's a lot of work being uploaded, which is a positive thing in of itself. And there's also progress so it's all good! Devotionless or not, your tries are getting better and better.

Regarding faces I can give you a couple tips:

A) Studying structure is important ( duh) but I feel that to get a convincing face or convincing features, your construction knowledge should only be used inside your head when you're drawing a face, not all over the paper. What I mean by that is that , to get convincing eyes the most important part is to get your mark making right and very sparce, not to draw everything you know it's there otherwise you'll get a wonky look, I suffered this for ages on my stuff, and when I started trying to just simplify and put my attention on what marks should I put on the paper or the canvas to build those eyes rather than doing it with just lines. It's hard to explain but I hope it helps.

Also, try to always keep in mind the general proportions and balance for a figure while you're focusing on the construction stage, that way your figures will feel more solid and more of a whole rather than detailed parts.

Overall I find your progress really nice buddy, I'll keep an eye out to see what's next! ;)

SB
Thanks Suira !

This might sound really stupid but wow ... never really actively thought about "markmaking" even tho I've kinda approached a similar way in the past for certain things. I must be really stupid. But now that you've reminded me that it has a name I can think about it (and note it down so I don't forget lol)

~~

Butchered the chow in an attempt to find ... ugh ... how to do it ... lol

Initially I attempted the dude without line and I thought it ended up as total shit... then I attempted her letting the lines in ... and I kinda liked it more. In the end I left the lines for most part except some parts on the dudes face ... I wasn't planing to actually let them in so they were my initial messy sketch lines... couldn't have them there ehh..

Attached Files Image(s)

Like others are saying, nice job on those anatomy studies! Keep up the applications and you'll be conquering everyone. A quick crit on the environment for the challenge; in terms of scale and composition, I think you nailed it. The values are all very high though, I think it maybe could have used a few more areas of contrast to make that center light coming through the hole much more powerful. A couple of studies on those waves would have probably also pushed the realism a lot farther, since light passing through a wave has a very distinct effect on the color.

Actually, as a general crit, and I know this is unrealistic for some people who don't have the time because of other responsibilities, school, job, etc, but if you do studies on every aspect of your challenge entries that you don't feel completely confident in, the results will be way more advanced. For example, maybe for the next one, after you have a rough sketch of what you want to do, make a list of studies for every part of the piece that you aren't sure you can pull off (the colors, the texture of the materials, the pose, etc) and do some serious studies for each part. I guarantee you you'll level up by miles just by doing that piece. Keep it up man! It's awesome just to see you taking part in the challenge each week :)

Thanks a lot man ... I need to try harderrr. I hope I'll get my drawing foundation stronger faster so I can really start studying the other stuff too.

Man I just wish I had a lineart anatomy master ghost behind me that could like help speed up the process. He'd be like

"Yo shitboy ... ignore that overlap there more *slap* "

"Oh nice pose shitboy .. let's see if you can do it too *back snap* AIIII ... looks like you can't .. too bad" ... lol.

~~

The chow Deity thing ... that's what I imagine it saying ... lol.

Attached Files Image(s)

I just finished reading Blood Song - fantasy story about this order of warrior monks, the young boys who are sent there are whacked with canes every time they make a tiny mistake in training. You want one of those monks stood behind you whacking you round the head with a cane every time a line comes out wrong. Extreme but effective!

People said this to me for a while but I only took the advice recently, to try painting instead of focusing on line solely. In my head I was always saying 'when my line work is good enough, I'll try painting'. Well, my line work isn't good enough yet, but I tried painting anyway, and after a few days doing that exclusively I really feel like a whole new realm of possibilities and understanding is starting to open up. Try it man, sometimes it's good to vary things up and approach stuff from another angle. I know you tried it with that guys head above - but heads are so hard, line, paint or otherwise! Try it with some easier stuff. Try Shaddy Safadi's approach on his youtube videos. It's a really nice approach.

You're making great progress though ^^ Love the god and his double pecs : )

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
omg your progress is astounding!. Your figures very good! Your last faces look all angry haha but they're looking good!

DeviantArt
Sketchbook
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As always sorry for my english :D
@JyonnyNovice : Oh yeeeh I certainly need a monk like that. Oh and thing is I'm kinda more interested in lines then painting in general tbh xD. That's why I'm so wanting to get better at it. Besides anyone agrees that better lines gives one easier time painting too.

@Grotessive: Thanks :) but my progress is so small/slow.

~~~

some handzz

Attached Files Image(s)

moremoregogogomore
I don't know why you think you're not doing so well, your figure and hand studies are really on the good path. Like Angelo says, keep going! Your anatomy and creating a sense of space and perspective is there, and it can go to even better places. Try applying shadows and line weights.

Focus.
hey man, from your comment in meat's thread, this is how I study from books and use digital: http://imgur.com/99InUQf tabletop easel, a bit bigger than an A4 page, cost really little (like £10 / $15) from a general multi-store type place with an arts and crafts section, and that old bit of wood (can just put a pad of paper too). I use it for drawing on but it doubles up as a handy book holder: http://imgur.com/jg2w8aV really easy to study from books like this. If I want to work on paper and study from the book I can just slide the tablet underneath the easel and put paper flat on the desk.

Just thought I'd share in case it helps!

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
@Angelique: I tryyy

@meat: Thanks dude. I'll try to do more. Need to think harder on em. Certain situations put me in great difficulty.
Ahh and don't worry I'm just a pessimistic fuck. Buuut I have to change that ... else even ppl will run away from me D:

@JyonnyNovice: Thanks man ... not sure if I can find that here but the photo of it is useful nonetheless. I could potentially make one, doesn't look very complicated.

~~~~~

Some dragonhead experimentsss ... was nice to try these ... a break from the usual frustrations lol. I think I have some Warburton influence in em (especially the third) without even realizing haha.

Oh and a rough idea for the chow thing buuut don't think I'mma finish that.

Attached Files Image(s)

Stuff from todayz. Tried more different things today ... just for uh .. trying ?

Attached Files Image(s)