Aquamarine
Just some sketchbook faces
Well, I feel like I have a decent handle with inventing faces that are "correct" but wow are they generic. Maybe I should study facial expressions, hairstyles, different ethnicities in order to understand how to draw characters with personality? I suppose at some point the DESIGN in character design should become a study factor, to balance out the anatomy/proportions/form stuff.

Very nice drawings. You should get into design definitely because your fundamentals are looking pretty solid. Have you tried sketching people in public? Its really fun and you get to study the differences in peoples faces which helps build your design language. Typically photos online are of conventionally attractive people so there isnt much variety to build up your visual library. Especially since you want to draw characters with personality.

(01-24-2015, 02:58 PM)Adam Lina Wrote: Very nice drawings. You should get into design definitely because your fundamentals are looking pretty solid. Have you tried sketching people in public? Its really fun and you get to study the differences in peoples faces which helps build your design language. Typically photos online are of conventionally attractive people so there isnt much variety to build up your visual library. Especially since you want to draw characters with personality.

Thanks for that piece of advice Adam. I actually have done people sketching before, at airports and coffee shops and such, it's a really good exercise. It's been about a year, I should get back into that. I've been looking at Wes Burt's pencil sketches lately; the dude's ability to draw characters from imagination that are realistic AND interesting is just amazing.

Anyway, more torsos and some Wes Burt studies

Very nice. You definitely have your own style. Keep working hard.

Working on some details today

Watercolor stuff from last year, just something to balance out all the pencil work

Sketchy characters

Playing around with more faces, imagination only

You might think your faces look generic, but I think they're great nevertheless. I'm trying to get better at drawing heads myself at the moment and man, I wish I could do what you do :)

Looks great man, keep working hard!

Continuing the eternal quest to understand anatomy. More Hogarth and Loomis, all memory studies of the male figure
Ref

Memory

Ref

Memory

Ref

Memory

Sketchbook dump for the week, plus some photoshop nonsense as I plan to move into digital painting very soon. These were way too much fun :)

I've been gone for much too long. Still trying to understand form and anatomy with linework. Maybe som[/align]eday I might actually paint something.
Reference

Memory

Not a super successful day

Reference

Memory

Imagination

I've got a whole bunch of work from the past week. Some people sketching in coffee shops, figure studies, and nonsense characters from the sketchbook.

People Sketching

Reference

Memory and Imagination

Just some bodies from my head for today

Studies from the illustrator Eva Widermann, photo studies of MMA fighters, and other junk
Reference

Memory and Imagination