Jaik's Sketches & Thoughts
Bunch of sketches and gestures from my drawing class, sorry for crummy pics, if it wasnt for the fact that I didnt really have much to show I wouldnt have put em up, but meh, hopefully it shows what I am doing under the tutelage of David Briggs :D 1 and 6 min gestures mixed

[Image: 12-5-12-1.jpg]
[Image: 12-5-12-2.jpg]
[Image: 12-5-12-3.jpg]
[Image: 12-5-12-4.jpg]
[Image: 12-5-12-5.jpg]
[Image: 12-5-12-6.jpg]
[Image: 12-5-12-7.jpg]
[Image: 12-5-12-8.jpg]
[Image: 12-5-12-9.jpg]
[Image: 12-5-12-10.jpg]

Hey all,
Did some traditional painting but its still too dark to take a pic of it so I will show it when it is done, same with the long figure drawing study I started.

Digitally I have a perspective elevation, I really felt like I rushed this one, and I want to try and do it in 2-point perspective, so I will redo it sometime soon.
Enviro from my head (WIP) and 2 20min studies

[Image: 13-5-12-1.jpg]

[Image: 13-5-12-2.jpg]

[Image: 13-5-12-3.jpg]
[Image: 13-5-12-4.jpg]

Got bored with this enviro, about 2hrs all up I'm sad to say... and the portrait is mostly from imagination, but little bits here and there for reference. Also did some more traditional painting, but I'll only post that when its finished.

[Image: 14-5-12-1.jpg]

[Image: 14-5-12-2.jpg]

Have a house inspection on thurs, so im mostly cleaning and playing a bit of good ol' diablo 3 in between cleaning and drawing. Fun Fun

This is the exercise I do most mornings for ellipses, when I have more time I think Ill create a couple of different degree grids aswell, if i need them.. not sure. Does the degree of the ellipse change enough on this? maybe Ill somehow make a vertical one. Anyway, its helping with my ellipses, very slowly lol

[Image: 15-5-12-1.jpg]

[Image: 15-5-12-2.jpg]

Awwww, I have to do that exercise with ellipses!!! <3

Isra: Haha yeah it helps a lot, my ellipses actually look round rather than.. rounded squares :S

--

Pretty much all traditional work today which i cbf to scan, did finish that portrait though, kind of boring but meh, I learnt a lot.

[Image: 16-5-12-1.jpg]

Today I worked, but I had some spare time at work so I did face gestures.. Never done them before but its something I've seen in a lot of people SBs without realising what they were. Focusing more on placement of the features than on the features themselves.
Also did a tiger for a piece I'm about to start working on, just studying the tigers forms trying to get some hints of anatomy. Only really halfway though will continue soon.

[Image: 17-5-12-1.jpg]
[Image: 17-5-12-2.jpg]

Weird time to update, had my class today and spent alot of time on the train, so i have traditional work, but thatll wait till tomorrow morning when I can be bothered to scan. Today Ill just update my tiger and teh beginning of a master study, my first serious attempt at one, already learnt alot. Bougeauraueaureau's Dante and Virgil in Hell, about 2hrs on that little guy.. sigh

[Image: 18-5-12-1.jpg]

[Image: 18-5-12-2.jpg]

Tiger Gestures (about 5min each) and train drawings. My train faces are starting too look less like slightly deformed default loomis faces, though people dont sit still!
Ill take pics of my class gestures when it is light in a couple of hours.

[Image: 19-5-12-1.jpg]

[Image: 19-5-12-2.jpg]

[Image: 19-5-12-3.jpg]

[Image: 19-5-12-4.jpg]
[Image: 19-5-12-5.jpg]
[Image: 19-5-12-6.jpg]

Finally finished that damn figure drawing, still stuck on the painting, but atleast one of my bigger works is done (it doesnt look like much but it too me houuuurrrrrsss =/).
Update on master study and hogarth noses.

[Image: 20-5-12-1.jpg]

[Image: 20-5-12-2.jpg]

[Image: 20-5-12-3.jpg]
[Image: 20-5-12-4.jpg]

Master Study

[Image: 21-5-12-1.jpg]

Not a lot. Perspective study trying to 'imply' details.. which I sort of just felt like I was being lazy and scribbling.. doesnt look great but it may be a step in the right direction if I am doing it correctly..
Then thumbnails, which suck and are generic but I want to see if maybe they improve over time like everything else if I practice them enough. I hope so...

[Image: 22-5-12-1.jpg]

[Image: 22-5-12-2.jpg]
[Image: 22-5-12-3.jpg]

Tried to do the still life once, and failed at circles in perspective, so I drew up another grid and did it over and over, then tried again and somewhat succeeded, so i guess practice does work :3
Thumbnail challenge today was "Steampunk Underground Vehicles", random design brief generator ftw :)
And an enviro which I realised I screwed up the lighting on so gave up after about 2hrs =/

[Image: 23-5-12-1.jpg]
[Image: 23-5-12-2.jpg]

[Image: 23-5-12-3.jpg]
[Image: 23-5-12-4.jpg]

[Image: 23-5-12-5.jpg]
[Image: 23-5-12-6.jpg]

Faces, which sadly took me about 40min each.. sad..
And a illustration I'm working on, about 3hrs so far. Its the first pose I've made up from imagination without using reference, well, I used like 3 poses as reference and Frankenstein's Monster'd it together, but close to made up lol.

[Image: 24-5-12-1.jpg]

[Image: 24-5-12-2.jpg]

You know now I only stream 1 hours every day but in case you can catch me bring this with you and we'll talk about it :p

[Image: 22-5-12-1.jpg]

Isra: Will do, thanks man n.n

--

Wow probably the longest I havent updated ever.. 3 whole days. I have been sick, then I went out on the weekend, and spent Sunday being self-inflicted sick. I did more than this but a) I cant find it or b) I failed and ended up going backwards. First bits are train sketches from Saturdays train ride. Its strangely difficult doing straight lines on a train...
Then another character piece I'm really into at the moment... Really gotta get back on my last character.. and the master study.. -___- really need to learn to finish stuff..

[Image: 27-5-12-1.jpg]
[Image: 27-5-12-2.jpg]
[Image: 27-5-12-3.jpg]

[Image: 27-5-12-4.jpg]

Uggh, 2nd time I'm sick in as many weeks, never slept for 18hrs and still been tired...
Tried to continue with the character which as I am updating now I realise is a fairy.. I have spent 3 days drawing a fairy.. I feel tough... >.>
Then a 1hr maybe? sketch i did because I couldnt concentrate anymore before bed and was doped up on cold and flu tablets. Wanted to keep it fairly loose, if anyone can guess who it is they get a cookie. Not that I hold out much hope of a likeness.

[Image: 29-5-12-1.jpg]
[Image: 29-5-12-2.jpg]

Nice studies man! keep it up!

Thanks for the encouragement wla91 :D
--

Another small one. Material sphere trying to look like studed leather, failed miserably.. Anyone have any tips on rendering leather?
Also tried about 7 hand poses, trying to make a directly symmetrical head on pose look dynamic :S

[Image: 30-5-12-1.jpg]
[Image: 30-5-12-2.jpg]