Teeth in an environment? Why not?
Hey guys,

I worked for a long time on this piece and wanted to hear what you think I could do to improve it. I pushed this pretty far but I feel like I am on the brink of making it look overworked. Maybe I am wrong. What do you guys think?

Attached Files Image(s)

Please help me getting better by checking out my sketchbook

HOMEPAGE http://floart.weebly.com
quick update,

to be honest, this painting feels really sucky. I feel like I need way to much time to finish it, I am not sure where to go with it, it doesn't feel like I have the knowledge to make it look like I want it to. And I keep switching the elements in the picture. But maybe that's normal. Any help on this would be much appreciated. I looked at this for far too long now.

Attached Files Image(s)

To be honest I think the composition needs an overhaul. My eye just wants to float around and not settle on the intended focal point of the statue. The black in the top right corner needs to be moved or gotten rid of because all it does is draw the eye to a corner and out of the picture plane. I get you were trying to show depth but you always want to avoid putting things in the corners of your compositions. You have a nice dark against light rhythm with the teeth but then it falls flat once we get to the statue. If it had a darker object behind it the contrast would draw our eye into the pay off. The background is a bit too empty and boring at the moment anways so another reason to add another element back there. Maybe add something that would tie back in with the teeth and give the whole piece more cohesion. Right now the teeth being just in the lower half feels like the whole thing is broken in half. I think you shouldnt give up on it. With a little work it could turn into a strong piece. The teeth is definitely an interesting idea. Keep pushing it!

Hey guys,

first off, thanks so much for the encouragement and the super-helpful crits. I decided to go with the idea to change the comp.

After that I did some studies, reused some elements from earlier versions and gave up on painting all the clouds by hand. I used a full opacity brush to smack down colors and really plan out my color and lights across the whole painting. Then I started rendering with a chalk brush with opacity, flow and size on pen pressure.

It is still WIP I want to give it another coating of details, but I have a good feeling about this now. Thanks to you guys, you are awesome :D

Attached Files Image(s)

Wow look at the great overhaul! Looks really good!

Focus.
Great overhaul of the image. The clouds are much better in the last one you did. The tooth and gum textures are also well done. I also think you captured a weird/creepy mood pretty well.

I suppose you could take another pass at the background elements and maybe add a few more highlights to the figure in the background.

Overall very nice I think.
GREAT improvements!

I agree with everyone else, the improvement from the first post is really awesome. And I love the piece in general, so heavy metal, I love it.