Deranged Reveries - Spellsword's Sketchbook
[Image: Untitled_1.jpg]

I am a level 20 Art Wizard / Freelance Artist / Socially Awkward Extraordinaire.

This is my sketchbook.

hi, really like the way you sketch. do you mind sharing what is your inspirations for the sketch or what you think before drawing it?

(07-17-2015, 09:08 AM)insbox Wrote: hi, really like the way you sketch. do you mind sharing what is your inspirations for the sketch or what you think before drawing it?

Hi, sure, no problem. There are two types of sketches for me - traditional and digital. Traditional ones with pencils are mostly random, with no thinking involved. I start with a vague idea of, let's say a fantasy creature, and I start laying down basic shapes and guide myself by semi-random lines that will carry me further. I don't do clean lines and instead try to use the ones accidentally drawn. You can get some interesting shapes and ideas this way. 
Digitals are backed up by ideas. I usually come up with catchy phrase like "Eyes of a child see no wrong" or "Bite the hand that feeds you poison" and think about how that could be turned into badass illustration. For example, that burning giant in first post is "All flesh is equal when burnt". It involves no thumbnails or brainstorming, instead I jump straight into sketch and coloring/detailing.

Although sometimes I just see or hear something interesting and use it as a foundation. Like games, films, music, other art etc.

Hope this helps, hit me with more questions if needed!

(07-18-2015, 06:45 AM)Spellsword95 Wrote:
(07-17-2015, 09:08 AM)insbox Wrote: hi, really like the way you sketch. do you mind sharing what is your inspirations for the sketch or what you think before drawing it?

Hi, sure, no problem. There are two types of sketches for me - traditional and digital. Traditional ones with pencils are mostly random, with no thinking involved. I start with a vague idea of, let's say a fantasy creature, and I start laying down basic shapes and guide myself by semi-random lines that will carry me further. I don't do clean lines and instead try to use the ones accidentally drawn. You can get some interesting shapes and ideas this way. 
Digitals are backed up by ideas. I usually come up with catchy phrase like "Eyes of a child see no wrong" or "Bite the hand that feeds you poison" and think about how that could be turned into badass illustration. For example, that burning giant in first post is "All flesh is equal when burnt". It involves no thumbnails or brainstorming, instead I jump straight into sketch and coloring/detailing.

Although sometimes I just see or hear something interesting and use it as a foundation. Like games, films, music, other art etc.

Hope this helps, hit me with more questions if needed!

Thanks for answering, i never see it that way, i love how you find catchy phrase and turn in into badass illustration. man that helps me a lot, keep posting stuffs, really love your works

Hey man, welcome aboard! Hope you continue posting, because you have an interesting way of coming up with ideas, and of course, you're already on the track with your skills, keep at it buddy!
insbox: I'm glad I helped, I will post more.

Zearthus: Thanks man! Will do my best.

//

Here is a couple of sketches for my personal IP/project "Lorn" - a dark fantasy graphic novel set in my own imaginary universe that I am currently working on. 

Yeeeees, yeeeees, mooooar <3

Discord - JetJaguar#8954
mooooar sketchings. A fanart of the Falconer, a character from The Gentlemen Bastards book series by Scott Lynch. Can't work on it right now - too much sunlight, cannot see a thing on my screen. Will wait till evening to finish this fella.

Played with him for a while, still far from finished. And a crow study.

Started replaying Mass Effect trilogy again, sketched my favourite character - Tali. Seems like I have a crush on an alien girl.

And finished another Moleskine sketchbook. Into my art-box it goes, to rest with others to be unearthed in the far future. Here are last pages and a short poem I call the "Ode to the finished sketchbook, to fill the last page because I want to move to the new, hardcover one, as fast as possible"

"Once blank and empty paper archs,
Devoid of purpose, mute and blind,
Are now adorned with charcoal marks
Contrived by thoughts of a decadent mind."

I love your designs, you have a great sense of how cloth is formed around certain parts of the body and the weight of different materials.
izybonez: Thanks! Cloth is fun to render.

Here is a monster that is actually made entirely of cloth and twigs. A lot of rendering on this one, yay.

Recent late night sketches

New sketchbook! A luxurious hardcover Moleskine, a pleasure to sketch into.

and a wip

Great sketchbook. I love all the pencil work.
Cricketts: Thanks!

Sketchosoph: I'm a sick, sick person :p

//

A brushtest sketch. Apparently, I have a bunch of awesome brushes I haven't used before.
"Put on your battlejackets, losers! Witness, as we ride into a thunder-sand-storm!"

and continuing working on a spider chick

Rocking the old Overkill albums

Wawawawaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Amazing. Just amazing! Love those pencil marks. They are so much neater than mine, haha. You must teach me your wayz. What kind of pencil do you use? Haha. Grin

Keep it up! Thumbs_up

Sketchblag

Join our Study Group: The Velvet Revolvers!  Let's work hard together!
(08-19-2015, 06:15 AM)Bookend Wrote: Wawawawaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.  

Amazing. Just amazing!  Love those pencil marks.  They are so much neater than mine, haha.  You must teach me your wayz.  What kind of pencil do you use?  Haha.  Grin

Keep it up! Thumbs_up

I use the best pencil in the world. You know about Rotring 600? Heavyweight, full-metal body, 0,7mm lead? And also quite expensive? Well, I've got a chinese knockoff from the Internet for a fifth of an original price :D Best pencil I've ever had.

MAAAAGIC POOOWEEEEERR!!

I wonder if I ever finish any of the sketches I post here...