Crimson CHOW #13 - Mammy Venus WIPS
Hey Daggers!

Some of us are game in participating in CHoW for this week, so I'm taking from pnate's CHoW write up and welcoming CHoW #13! 

It won't be a biweekly thing like Nate was doing - just whenever y'all are game! So here goes!:

Welcome to the Crimson CHOW (Character of the Week)! This is a challenge which was created as a way to hone your skills in design and character creation, in a fun and competitive way. Each challenge, we will give you a short character prompt and it is your task to interpret the character as you imagine it, with your own unique spin. The winner will be chosen through a poll in the finals thread, and in addition to being able to pick the next challenge topic, his/her piece will be featured in the "Crimson Champions" Winner's thread!

Here is the passage, big thanks to RottenPocket for the theme + passage this week!:

"It was that devil-child found her. Backing from the dining room, into which he'd bounded doe-like and dumb, he called down the center hall to the others, his voice girlish, shrill. Two men answered and came. One was his red rather. Neither dared step into the room. They waited, whilst the others took the house's inventory with rising wrath: Who is this wench to live in such splendor? How came she to be both free and propertied? None of them knew the truth, of course: they'd heard lie, lore, and legend, but all that mattered was that Mammy Venus sat too well provisioned. They called her Conspirator. They killed her because they could."

The task is to Design Mammy Venus. - don't forget to think outside the box, the major goal however is to focus on character design, rather than environments/props, etc.

Guidelines:
  • Photo textures, 3D, and traditional mediums are allowed.
  • There is no restriction on the character's gender, time period or culture.
  • Studies are recommended, but not required.
  • There is no restriction on image formats (horizontal, vertical, square).
  • Environment backgrounds are optional.
  • Keep in mind you are not required to stick to what is in the passage. It is more of a guide in terms of mood.
Rules:
  • You must post at least one WIP in the WIP thread to be accepted into the final poll.
  • Finals must be posted in the finals thread before the deadline.
  • At least 3/4 of the character must be visible (minimum from the knees up). No back views are allowed without a front.
  • Only ONE character please.
  • Only ONE submission per person in the finals thread.
  • Sketches, WIPs, or rushed artwork will not be accepted into the poll.
  • No fanart. We want to see your original, unique interpretations!
  • Have fun!
Deadline is Sunday, August 16 @10pm GMT

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
:D 

Hopefully I can make a habit of these challenges. Even though I'm the one that suggested the excerpt, it's been a long while since I've read the series, and this particular part was more political than it sounded. Hopefully you all find it as intriguing as I do and get creative. 

I'll be participating but won't submit to the FINALS thread because I don't think that'd be fair. I want to see what you all come up with!

For now I've made a start on her sketch. With the overall theme of  a terrifyingly wealthy and powerful woman, I'm going for an immortal, sinister, witchy type (whenever do I not?) and Aztec in origin. Something older than even rebelling natives know of, to their misfortune. There aren't many good references for Aztec or Mayan attire apart from sketches by Spanish colonials. One thing is for certain: they were particularly fond of Gold and Feathers. Simple clothes with complex patterns but I also wanted to dress her in something typical of nobility - just with a twist. The name also reminds me of the likes of Baba Yaga, Marie Laveau and other such icons. 

Attached Files Image(s)

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Discord: emnida
Mammy Venus

@Cricketts
Please please go with the sheer negligee and cigarette.

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Discord: emnida
@ RottenPocket. LOL yeah I thought about going sheer but I didnt. but I will have the cigarette in there. Maybe Ill change it.
CHoW  #13 Mammy Venus WIP

Attached Files Image(s)

Sketchbook 1   -    Sketchbook 2   -   Tumblr
I've checked in on these every week for like 3 weeks and keep missing when they start haha. Any ideas on when the next one is roughly?