The Velvet Revolvers
Eyliana:Hey Good luck on that course, about the portraits, if possible try and do self portraits regularly, I have'nt tried doing one a day myself but i've heard it's a really good way to improve quickly.

More eyes and a failed drawing of Nui Harime from Kill la Kill which i'm gonna try and redraw. Trying to draw her realistically, my main problem spots are the umbrella(seriously how do you draw the inside of those things or figure out where the back is XD), putting the bandage over her eye which given it's design is harder then I thought it'd be and the head shape and hair.

I also have issues with keeping details realistic from a distance, such as the nose and eyes, even just placing them down becomes difficult for me when they are this small to draw.
Also trying to work on those pelvis study's again, think i've figured out what I was doing wrong actually, though it still seems overcomplicated.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey guys, had a bit of time to draw today.

[Image: 24056305653_00b8536c2f_c.jpg]

[Image: 24656929616_fc1c5474c4_c.jpg]

[Image: 24056305703_e3b60579ef_c.jpg]

[Image: 24656929746_73208f5e17_b.jpg]

Trigger, Nice eyes man, some of them feel flat, but, some of them feel like the y have really great volume to them.

The boobs stick on your girl there, I think the outline of the is too pronounced, for them being underneath the clothes and all that. Hands a bit disproportionate.

Keep going guys!

Jeso:Thanks dude, yeah i've been told that about the eyes by other people as well, my shading on them is pretty bad but I can get the volume down well through linework alone.
The girl is a mess, i've tried again but I can't seem to get anything right on it, partially because I find it difficult to get it looking realistic while drawing small and the construction lines begin to confuse my tiny brain haha., i'm gonna crop the drawing down to her waist and up, see if that'll help me.

Anyway, nice imagination drawings dude, though that last one has pretty a bad head structure, plus there's something buggin me about the eyes. it's very expressive though so good job on that.

Alright, did a few refresher drawings on the proko pelvis's and more hands and while i've not reached 100  i've gotten a bit bored of hands for the time being, so i'll get back to them another time.
I'm still not all that great at drawing pelvis's but I honestly don't think it has much practical application past the landmarks which I can get through imagining the pelvis as a box then curving it so i'm gonna leave them now.
I'm gonna wait until Proko has finished up the muscle vids before starting on that section, in the mean time i'm gonna attempt to get through scott robertsons drawing book :)...I say attempt because my last attempt broke my brain after the first chapter XD. my perspective knowledge barring the basics is very lacking so hopefully this'll help me alot.

Attached Files Image(s)

Great work Trigger and Jeso!  Drawing from memory is a great. Try to draw over more basic volumes to help with the placement of forms.

Finished up a study.

Painted in Photoshop on a CIntiq Hybrid connected to a Mac. Painted the values first, then added color. Too much contrast this time.....

[Image: YfT7GwD.jpg]

A video game artist for ~2 decades I like to design model & animate characters + study traditional drawing painting & sculpting

Please follow me on Instagram or Facebook

(01-29-2016, 10:32 AM)Triggerpigking Wrote: Eyliana:Hey Good luck on that course, about the portraits, if possible try and do self portraits regularly, I have'nt tried doing one a day myself but i've heard it's a really good way to improve quickly.

Self portrait from a mirror or take a picture and then paint?
About your umbrella issue; Try to treat is as half a globe. I find it easier to draw a circle. Cut the circle in half, this is the middle plane of the ellipse. Than you draw the ellipse in there, wider when you look more into the umbrella, smaller if you you look more upon the umbrella. Then you have half a globe, with an inside and outside.
The middle of the ellipse perpendicular to the middle line of the ellipse gives you the handle and on the other side the middle of the umbrella. The frame of the umbrella can be drawn by drawing the contour of the of the globe towards the middle point and then continue 'following' it to the other side. Do this for 3-4 lines and then you can fine tune the shape of the umbrella.

I hope you follow, if you don't let me know and I'll try to sketch it step by step for you.

@Bot; Great last study, your accuracy really improved there!

Landscape painting I did over the course of the last week; I messed up a lot (especially the trees and the tent xD) and learned a lot. Pretty happy with how the sky and the snow turned out. Although the last one is not really visible on the picture.

[Image: untitled_by_eyliana-d9pwgpj.jpg]

Portrait I have been working on and trying to be more accurate:
[Image: untitled_by_eyliana-d9pwjdj.jpg]

And some random perspective boxes:
[Image: untitled_by_eyliana-d9pwgon.jpg]

Eyliana.  keep up the hard work!  I miss the northern lights/ Aurora Borealis I used to see at winter time, thanks for sharing.

Another one today,,,

[Image: wUKkAlC.jpg]

A video game artist for ~2 decades I like to design model & animate characters + study traditional drawing painting & sculpting

Hey guys, had a little bit more time to draw recently.

Eyliana nice to see you doing the structural side of the studies, good work on that face. Ear is feeling flat, do to it the same structural thing you doing in the face.

Bot, good study buddy. I REALLY dig how you render the face, looks done quickly, but its all there, i specially like the eyes.

Keep on moving.

Im trying to explore style, and get better at the female figure. some stuff from imagination, some from reference. That finished head was from imagination, didnt like it, ended up looking like a 3d disney character. I was aiming for like a realistic manga style.

[Image: 24723768905_ff30707b6b_c.jpg]

[Image: 24605986012_08d3c6c5c9_c.jpg]

[Image: 24630263971_acb1228bd2_c.jpg]

Hey everybody! So great to seeing you all improve. As said on the shoutbox-- I've been going through some difficult times, so I won't be drawing for awhile, but I will be back! ;)

If you are looking for structure, Jeso-- Go for Michael Hampton's figure drawing book. If you're looking for flow, look at George Bridgman. Really helpful tools! :)

Sketchblag

Join our Study Group: The Velvet Revolvers!  Let's work hard together!
Hey there, first time posting here, so hello again. 

Realizing now once I upload it that my study is way too dark. I guess letting a piece sit for a bit makes you see how bad it actually is. Oh well, next one will be better. Cheers.    Reference

Attached Files Image(s)

Jeso, those faces are great! If you are going for an anime style, try to deemphasize the nostrils, and maybe a bit more of an angle along the zygomatic arch.

I agree with Bookend, get the M Hampton book, also get his videos.

Welcome Leesment, great skull. Maybe sharpen a couple edges..?

Todays super quickie...wip

[Image: QNCu2UT.jpg]

Finished what I started yesterday.  A bit "cartoony" as my 7 yr old daughter says. She wants the eyes to be mascot and to be less "old" looking.  This is coming from a girl who loves to draw My little Pony and Power Puff Girls...  :-)

Need more practice..

[Image: 3UVaIS7.jpg]

Hey Bot, Nice study, It has a cool aesthetic quality to it. sort of traditional looking in a way. I like it, I mean.. proportions are very good. The only thing I would say would be the hair texture.

Ok.. Stuff from today.

[Image: 24402793699_0d803951d6_c.jpg]

[Image: 24770444855_c3fb18084e_c.jpg]

From memory.. I dont know what im doing here.. haha Lines... are a FUCKING challenge brah

[Image: 24770444595_622798172a_b.jpg]

Quick deadpool
[Image: 24402793579_c652703a8f_c.jpg]

[Image: 24142299094_6a8c7791e7_c.jpg]

Lots of work done today Jeso, awesome!

I used to draw Anime alot, you might try directly copying a few of your favorite artists to help you with the eye shape and face proportions. For me it was the most direct way to learn. For me, my biggest influences where Kenichi Sonoda and Leiji Matsumoto.

Todays study..

[Image: 56AmRnq.jpg]

jeso:Cool work man, never thought you'd be much of an anime artist for some reason.

the two girls at the bottoms eyes are very wonky though, plus the right girls body is contorted weirdly.
To add to what Artiste said about studying other artists(i'd reccommend Kushart krenz and Kawacy), an idea i came up with recently but have yet to try was to try copying people from life, but exaggerating them in either your own way of drawing anime or trying to copy another artists way of doing so, since all good exaggeration is based on realism I think it could be a good excercise to try out. On that note as well try to think more about how you're simplifying it in general, right now they are pretty generic anime eyes but the best anime artists i know still add in them realistic signifiers like the waterline for the eye and the upper eyelid. http://img03.deviantart.net/764b/i/2014/...7hmaj7.jpg
It's tough though, even though I know a bunch of these signifiers, trying to implement them well into exaggerated drawing is really difficult without finding myself going straight up realistic, or drawing them creepily.

Eyeliana:thanks for the crits on the umbrella, i've tried it again but I think part of it is just a mechanical drawing issue, the ellipse is really big so trying to freehand it properly is a challenge for me plus I have to draw the circle through the figure so if I mess up it really makes it difficult to correct, I have been trying to draw the ellipse then add the dome on top aftwards though so i'll try to draw a circle first on my next attempt.
Also kickass work on that portrait, looks really 3d, not sure whats going on in the neck area though.

I've started on Scott robertsons how to draw book, as said I prefer drawing people over cars or machines(though machines do sound fun), but I think learning a high level of perspective would help me a lot even if I don't end up using all them skills simply knowing them would help I think, plus i've thought about getting into making my own comics at some point so knowing how to draw enviorments would be a pretty big deal.

Firstly, trying to understand the cone of vision, which is where I got stuck last time, need to get myself a protractor for the angles lol, did'nt think i'd need one for art but for this it looks like i'm really gonna need it.
Also did some work on multiplying and dividing boxes and planes, which i've had experience doing before so these were quite easy.

Doodles
and that other attempt at the nui picture, gonna retry it one more time, a big issue i'm having with figure drawing in general is simply trying to build the basics of the pose, i've been through damn near a million tutorials on this but finding a method of just getting the basic forms down accurately has been really hard for me, not to mention there's the added difficulty that I can't think of poses well.

Keep up those perspective studies, looks great.

Todays efforts, going to try and do two versions of each study now, a painted one and then a stylized one..

[Image: T6UDbCW.jpg]

Nice work on the stylized one artistebot, the outlines especially around the arm look too dark though and I think they need to be cleaned up.

Did some figures
first ones are from imagination the others from reference. i'm still having a lot of issues trying to think up poses or drawing them in certain perspectives, even without anatomy just getting the basic shapes right is hard for me.

no time today except for a quick one...

[Image: bhSvDMh.jpg]

Friday's study...

First time to try painting in a more stylized style...

[Image: ntlvjWe.jpg]
Day 58, Thursday Feb 4 at 11pm

@ Trigger; Thanks. That is just difficult, lot's of loose skin that hangs over the collar of the shirt, it's a bit weird :P. I like the Scott Robertson stuff you did, when that goes better the umbrella shouldn't be a problem anymore. And I have the feeling your figures are really coming along.

@Bot;  I like the stylized version! I have the feeling that her skin tones are a bit bright?

---------------------------------

Some stuffs I did last week. I had to go less to the internship location, so less tired, so more drawing! I try to draw/study/paint around 20h a week. Normally I end up around 15 (weekend hours), but now I have already 11 and the weekend is just getting started :3

Also Scott Robertson stuff
[Image: untitled_by_eyliana-d9qp035.jpg]

[Image: untitled_by_eyliana-d9qp03b.jpg]

Some clouds and watercolour practice, making gradients is harder then it looks like.
[Image: 2016_02_02_washes_by_eyliana-d9qozs6.jpg]
[Image: 2016_02_02_clouds_by_eyliana-d9qozst.jpg]

[Image: 2016_02__06_clouds_by_eyliana-d9qoupj.jpg]

Artistebot:Nice work on the colouring dude, I still think the lineart is a bit too thick and flattens it a lot though.
Eyeliana:Nice work on the perspective stuff.

More perspective stuff, currently on mirroring as well.

Attached Files Image(s)