Crimson CHOW #16 - The Cave Dick
Hey Daggers!

Some of us are game in participating in CHoW for this week, so I'm taking from pnate's CHoW write up and welcoming CHoW #16! 

It won't be a biweekly thing like Nate was doing - just whenever y'all are game! So here goes!:

Welcome to the Crimson CHOW (Character of the Week)! This is a challenge which was created as a way to hone your skills in design and character creation, in a fun and competitive way. Each challenge, we will give you a short character prompt and it is your task to interpret the character as you imagine it, with your own unique spin. The winner will be chosen through a poll in the finals thread, and in addition to being able to pick the next challenge topic, his/her piece will be featured in the "Crimson Champions" Winner's thread!

This weeks CHOW passage is brought to you by the crimson-tinged man that is... Adam "Hypnagogic Haze" Lina!

"Me see the world from outside looking in. In a cave-city full of lost souls searching for one last release. She walk into me office on night like any other. She had long silky red fur dress with eyes as cold as tundra. "If you looking for medicine man he in next cave over." Me say. "I looking for man who knows jungles better than other man." I say "Then you in right place because me a private dick." Me a cave dick. Ooga Booga."

Your task is to design your interpretation of "The Cave Dick". Don't forget to think outside of the box, daggers. Go hard, hustle and bustle!

Guidelines:
  • Photo textures, 3D, and traditional mediums are allowed.
  • There is no restriction on the character's gender, time period or culture.
  • Studies are recommended, but not required.
  • There is no restriction on image formats (horizontal, vertical, square).
  • Environment backgrounds are optional.
  • Keep in mind you are not required to stick to what is in the passage. It is more of a guide in terms of mood.
Rules:
  • You must post at least one WIP in the WIP thread to be accepted into the final poll.
  • Finals must be posted in the finals thread before the deadline.
  • At least 3/4 of the character must be visible (minimum from the knees up). No back views are allowed without a front.
  • Only ONE character please.
  • Only ONE submission per person in the finals thread.
  • Sketches, WIPs, or rushed artwork will not be accepted into the poll.
  • No fanart. We want to see your original, unique interpretations!
  • Have fun!
Deadline is Sunday, September 20 @10pm GMT

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
Another great topic. I'm debating whether to go down the silly path, or keep an arrow straight.

Some small notes and a sketch so far, lots of studies to do for this one.

Attached Files Image(s)

Was a little stumped at first but i got somewhere on my lunch break :D

I figure thhere are a lot of guys around these days that may as well be cavemen [Image: 20150915_125619_resized_by_rottenpocket-d99n2tx.jpg] post apoc setting, Ooga is a tracker/trapper. Hrows his own tobacco and keeps trophies of the mutant jungle creatures on his office wall.

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Discord: emnida
This is "Clever".. on his name day he chiselled out his name, intending it to be 'cleaver' but ..well, spelling isn't his strong point. He's a detective, owing to the fact he found the right kind of hat, it was on a dead guy, in the office he now uses.. the coat doesn't fit, and whiskey isn't really his drink, being a rock troll he much prefers a nice drop of ammonium sulphide, but you make do when you're a private dick.. it's a hard life..

(puns all entirely intended :p )

Any pointers on this would be /really/ appreciated, I kind of have an image in my head of a vast slab of rock troll lounging behind a desk in a cave, 1920's décor, but not sure I'm pulling that off. 

[Image: chow_16_wip_sketch_by_punk_a_cat-d99ngxh.jpg]

cool ideas everyone.

Punk-A-Cat, you could maybe change the style of the phone a little to reinfoce the era, a quick google for 1920's phones shows some more visually interesting ones that might help reinforce the style of decor.

as it's a cave I'm guessing you'll need to push the 20's feel with the desk items, althought the coat rack should give some clues too, you could put some cool 1920's uplighters on the cave walls?

other than that, I'd maybe mess around with the hat, try it a little lower like film noir, although that might clash with the scale of the stone character.

perhaps throw in some cigarette smoke and an ashtray too?

filing cabinet in the background to reinforce it and break things up a bit?

other than that, all I can suggest is look for some stone images to study, maybe by candlelight/firelight also so you can play around with the lighting.

i thought your last chow was really going somewhere, would be cool to really push it on this one.

@Lurch Oh wow, thank you, amazingly awesome ideas! I did realise afterwards the phone was wrong, but not sure the wind up style would work on a desk, will need to hunt photo refs. I have a really good idea what one looks like though as someone I visited as a kid had one in their toybox (The entire toybox was filed with antique toys!), huge thing, when you wound it the bells went, was very cool!

Did a bunch of sketches for this one but I settled on this. I thought of a hunter type character initially. Here's my sketch Thumbs_up

Looking great guys. Id like to give credit to Anthony Palumbo for thinking of such a genius idea as Cave Dicks. I had heard him mention it on One Fantastic week and that he had a site up. http://www.cavedicks.com/

Time and the futility of life. These are the kind of things that keep a cave man up at night. Staring at crime scene cave paintings for 14 straight moons can make you question what its all about. What kind of life can a retired stone age cop dig out for him self in this crazy mixed up prehistoric world? Someone once told me time is a flat circle. Everything that you've done and will do you are destined to repeat time and time again.

Attached Files Image(s)

Reeeeeeeeeeeelly, don't know what I'm doing with this digital stuff... yey!
Pretty sure this won't get finished - trying to block in and then remove the lines as they are just "put stuffs here' guides.. I can't draw digitally, but thought I'd throw this here anyway, maybe get some pointers from people - there is supposed to be some more bluish light from the front, and the shadow of a person being cast onto the desk - like a door being open to outside light and someone standing in it (maybe moonlight - so could be toned down)

[Image: chow_16_wip_sketch_colour_by_punk_a_cat-d9a7v2z.jpg]