Anime you're watching?
Looking for some amazing anime (I've seen Attack on Titan and everything Miyazaki). Anything is fair game, but I like especially deep or moving bits. I've heard Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood is one of these. If anyone has seen Now and Then, Here and There, I'm also looking for things along those lines.
I've watched FMA the original and liked it a lot, and I'm about halfway through FMA Brotherhood and liking it just as much. I would recommend my favorite anime, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, which starts as a sweet and fluffy magical girl story but quickly turns really dark. I'm also watching Sailor Moon for the first time, but definitely watch the sub instead of the dub, they're really different.

Gungrave! best anime i've ever seen, first episode seems pretty bad but once it's given context later on it makes far more sense. if you've ever watched berserk it's practically the bioshock infinite to that series, swapping out medieval and fantasy for mafia and sci-fi and swapping character roles, despite it's similarities though it's hardly a ripoff and i'd argue it's the better of the two series.

Also for something different, i'd reccomend baccano, it's a relatively unknown and short anime(14 odd eps) that's the brother series to durarara, it's set in 1930's america and has 3 storys related to each other that are told out of order. it also has a kickass opening theme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUjqlVt6y2A

ONE PUNCH MAN

Quote:Now and Then, Here and There

That one was seriously fucked up. :D If you like stuff like that, i can recommend you this ones: 

-Saikano, my girlfriend the ultimate weapon: dont be fooled by the silly name, doom and despair everywhere. 

-Texhnolyze: AKA the best anime ever made, certainly deppresing but there is much more than that, truly a work of art. 

-Haibane Renmei: it starts slowly and peacefully, like a ghibli movie, but you know something is not right....

-Narutaru: or what would happen if real pokemon like creatures were given to real 10 year olds.

-Bokurano: A bit like Evangelion, only darker and edgier, yeah...

-Welcome to the NHK!: the daily life of a japanese hikkikomori, many people studying art in their homes will probably be able to relate to this one. xD

-Wolfs Rain: Wolves disguised as humans searching for paradise in the middle of the apocalypse, not a happy adventure... 

Im probably missing a few, but there is enough heavy stuff on this list haha.

Fma was my favorite back then and still is.
Im also looking into One punch man.

@Ed Texhnolyze sounds interesting... any more horror/thriller anime can you recommend ?

Texhnolyze is amazing, especially when you get to episodes 20+ I think?

to add more anime to the list

Black lagoon- this is essentially what would happen if quinten tarantino made anime and it is GLORIOUS!!, very well voice acted with great characters and just batshit crazy fun

Hellsing OVA- THIS is how you do motherfuckin vampires, probbly the most beautiful animation and possibly one of the most well voice acted anime i've seen, it's mostly just great action but it has some smartness and good drama to it especially in it's last two episodes, though i'm very biased as the main villain is one of my favorites lol.

Spice and wolf- have yet to watch season 2 but judging by 1 it's fantastic, it's based in a medieval england like world and is actually based on mainly on traders what makes it work though is 1. they make the the trading part of it fit into the drama well and therefore make it interesting and 2. the relationship between the main characters is perfection.

Monster- This is an anime, you need to see if you enjoy death note, sherlock or any shows like that, bit of a long anime but the premise which I can't really spoil is based in old 1980's germany(I think, could be 1990's) and deals with a mass murderer, if you enjoy villains and just overall great storytelling, twists and characters it's a must see even if it is long.

The devil is a part timer- you can see from the title it's not meant to be very serious XD, it's actually an amazing example of japanese humour done right, I say this as someone who's not usually a fan of their humour but this gets it so godamn right and to top it off the drama is really great as well, basically the story follows a demonic warlord who gets sent along with his general into our world, basically the premise comes off as your usual fish out of water story and one with medieval magical characters we got a disturbing amount of back in the 80s but they take it in a great route and it's fantastic, also a very short series shorter then even baccano(THE FUCK IS MY SEASON 2!).

Trigun's my favourite of all time-- Just the flavour of the anime. It's kind of dull in some aspects, maybe even a bit contrived, but the heart of it is there. The humour, the sadness, the awesomeness. The plot isn't as interesting to me as the characters, in this case. The main character is fascinating to me, as well as certain characters which appear later, goodies and baddies-- And though I've been recommended other anime which are apparently where this one is derived from, it's just not the same to me. Different flavours. I love the way pacifism in this is portrayed-- I dunno, I'm a huge inner softy/idealist.

Chobits is just... Cute and funny. And the art is relaxing on the eyes.

Elfen Lied is bloody/gory, but it also has heart. And it's kind of eerie, and I like eerie. But, I suppose that the goryness of it is kind of superfluous.

I actually really liked Death Note, as hyped as it's been. It was one of the best I'd seen for years in terms of entertainment, and I was totally rooting for the protagonist for a long time.

One that I've started watching recently, but haven't picked up on, is Death Parade-- I love the concept behind it. I will probably continue watching at some point.

Very few anime seem to catch my interest over the years. I'm really not very picky about anything-- Except Anime, it seems. Grin

Sketchblag

Join our Study Group: The Velvet Revolvers!  Let's work hard together!
Quote:@Ed Texhnolyze sounds interesting... any more horror/thriller anime can you recommend ?

Just dont try to watch it if you are feeling depressed lol, but seriously, its really good. 
Im not really into horror that much, but i now i just remember one that i missed in my last post, Shinsekai Yori (From the new world) is amazing. Sci fi, with horror and a pretty disturbing anime overall. 

It starts pretty slowly, but like Texhnolyze, that only serves to build up the necessary tension and athmosphere for the second half. 

Quote:Chobits is just... Cute and funny. And the art is relaxing on the eyes.

I loved chobits! even with all the plot holes and the sad and very real implications of what would happen when perfect artificial companions start to replace real imperfect humans. 

Also i see Trigger mentioned Black Lagoon, so let me add Jormungand to the list :D its very similar to Black lagoon, less crazy and tarantino like but just as edgy. With a lovable and crazy as fuck female arms dealer and a child soldier from africa.
And even if they are from different authors, Black lagoon and Jormungand are set in the same universe and continuity.

Texhnolyze was one of the most atmospheric animes I watched but it's also very dark and first episodes are so slow paced that you can quickly loose patience for the series.

Personally I really liked Planetes which is about group of space debris collectors. I got really engaged with the story till the very end and I really liked the characters.
I'll second Haibane Renmei, Madoka and Baccano, and I got a few more things I would add:

Nichijou for pure comedic genius and top-tier animation,
Casshern Sins for some pretty well written episodes and its style,
Paranoia Agent because it nails its themes and I like its visual design.
Also, I don't read a lot of visual novels, but Ryukishi07s work is consistently pretty amazing.
From The New World is an excellent anime http://myanimelist.net/anime/13125/Shinsekai_yori It tells the story of how the earth would look like if humans had superpowers, and takes a dark spin on it.
Monster is also an amazing anime, among my favorites.
Stealthily taking notes, and also recommanding the Hellsing OVAs. It is hit or miss at times but the original work set a standard in terms of tone and style.
Hellsing ultimate is amazing, i still rewatch it from time to time.
Today i remembered a few shows i missed in my last post.

-Fate/Zero: If you guys watched fate/stay night/unlimited blade works, and though this would be awesome if it wasnt for the awful eroge characters and storyline, then watch Zero.

-Gunslinger Girl: I looved this one. The premise of the show makes it sound like an anime for perverts about little girls being used as assasins. However, it is not. If you ever wanted to know more about the effects and consecuences of using children as tools for murder, this is you anime.

-Gunbuster: Seriously, i cant count how many animes this series of ovas had influenced over the years. When people think of Hideaki Anno, they think of Evangelion, but Gunbuster IS the Hideaki Anno anime. xD Even if you arent into mech animes, this one is well worth a watch. The animation is also godly traditional animation from the mid 80's. The sequel, Diebuster was directed by the guy behind Fooly Cooly and its not as good, but still great!

Just curious but has anyone else here even watched or heard of Gungrave? I reccomended it already but it's disturbing to me how little people have even heard of it, especially since it's made by the creator of trigun which is quite popular.

I'm gonna reccomend One Punch as well, only got round to watching it recently but godamn is it fun and like Devil is a part timer has some suprisingly good drama later on, I always like it when a series can take such a ridiculous concept and make a funny show that also has well made characters.

I can't reccomend Elfen Lied tbh, I actually used to love the show but, aside from Lucy who is a great character and concept it's let down in all other aspects, the plot gets fairly nonsensical, the characters barring 1 or 2 outside of Lucy are bland or downright steryotypical anime characters and it has one of the most incompetent military forces i've ever seen in an anime which is saying A LOT, as said Lucy is a great character and the setup is great but I can't reccomend something on it's concept and 1 character alone, even the action has been outdone by other shows especially since then as we've had some balls to the wall action animes.

To reccomend some more shows
Who here has watched Afro samurai? the first series and the movie are fucking gorgeous to watch, it's really unique and has some great animation and fight scenes, also samuel L Jackson voices BOTH of the main characters.

I'll also reccomend the girl who leapt through time, it's a movie not a series and I have'nt watched it in a while but I loved it the last time I watched it.

I'm currently watching Boku Dake ga Inai Machi (or what most people know it as, Erased.) and Haikyuu. I've also just finished reading the manga to BokuMachi lately, so I'm just watching to live through the moments in the animation (same with Haikyuu, I already read where S2 is going to end so I'm just watching it over.) I WAS watching Myriad Colors Phantom World, but the dude with his unnecessary knowledge kind of irks me (I'd watch it any day for Reina though ;A;)
There are some amazing japanese cartoons out there some of which I know are:

- https://myanimelist.net/anime/570/Jin-Rou: "After witnessing the suicide bombing of a terrorist girl, Constable Kazuki Fuse becomes haunted by her image, and is forced to undergo retraining for his position in the Capital Police's Special Unit. However, unknown to him, he becomes a key player in a dispute between Capital and Local Police forces, as he finds himself increasingly involved with the sister of the very girl he saw die." Dark & twisted, with very good quality drawing/aniamtion for 1999

- https://myanimelist.net/anime/1210/NHK_ni_Youkoso?q=nhk: "Twenty-two-year-old college dropout Tatsuhiro Satou has been a hikikomori for almost four years now. In his isolation, he has come to believe in many obscure conspiracy theories, but there is one in particular which he holds unshakable faith in: the theory that the evil conspirator behind his shut-in NEET (Not in Employment, Education or Training) status is the Nihon Hikikomori Kyokai (NHK)—an evil and secret organization dedicated to fostering the spread of hikikomori culture.

NHK ni Youkoso! is a psychological dramedy that follows Tatsuhiro as he strives to escape from the NHK's wicked machinations and the disease of self-wrought isolation, while struggling to even just leave his apartment and find a job. His unexpected encounter with the mysterious Misaki Nakahara might signal a reversal of fortune for Tatsuhiro, but with this meeting comes the inevitable cost of having to face his greatest fear—society." Just wow! It tackles a lot of contemporary ideas from the point of view of a NEET :). Very good!

- https://myanimelist.net/anime/10620/Mira...20Nikki%20: "Lonely high school student, Yukiteru Amano, spends his days writing a diary on his cellphone, while conversing with his two seemingly imaginary friends Deus Ex Machina, who is the god of time and space, and Murmur, the god's servant. Revealing himself to be an actual entity, Deus grants Yukiteru a "Random Diary," which shows highly descriptive entries based on the future and forces him into a bloody battle royale with 11 other holders of similarly powerful future diaries.

With the last person standing designated as the new god of time and space, Yukiteru must find and kill the other 11 in order to survive. He reluctantly teams up with his obsessive stalker Yuno Gasai (who also possesses such a diary), and she takes it upon herself to ensure his safety. But there's more to the girl than meets the eye, as she might have other plans for her unrequited love...". The idea of the "game" I don't find it really interesting myself, but the twists and psychology behind it gave me the chills, just WOW!

- https://myanimelist.net/anime/22729/Aldn...?q=aldnoah & https://myanimelist.net/anime/27655/Aldn...?q=aldnoah: "The discovery of a hypergate on the Moon once allowed the human race to teleport to Mars. Those who chose to settle there unearthed a technology far more advanced than that of their home planet, which they named "Aldnoah." This discovery led to the founding of the Vers Empire of Mars and a declaration of war against the "Terrans," those who stayed behind on Earth. However, a battle on the moon—later called "Heaven's Fall"—caused the hypergate to explode, destroying the moon and leading the two planets to establish an uneasy ceasefire.

Their peace was a fragile one, however. Fifteen years later, high school student Inaho Kaizuka witnesses the plotted assassination of the Vers Empire's Princess Asseylum Vers Allusia, who had come to Earth in hopes of repairing the relationship between the empire and its homeland. The ceasefire is shattered, and the Martians declare war on the Terrans once again. In the face of this insurmountable enemy, Inaho and his friends must now fight against the Vers Empire to settle the war once and for all". In my opinion this is the best mecha cartoon ever, perfect animation, the most amazing sound-track I've ever heard, I might be biased tho'.

- https://myanimelist.net/anime/22199/Akam...ll?q=akame: "Night Raid is the covert assassination branch of the Revolutionary Army, an uprising assembled to overthrow Prime Minister Honest, whose avarice and greed for power has lead him to take advantage of the child emperor's inexperience. Without a strong and benevolent leader, the rest of the nation is left to drown in poverty, strife, and ruin. Though the Night Raid members are all experienced killers, they understand that taking lives is far from commendable and that they will likely face retribution as they mercilessly eliminate anyone who stands in the revolution's way.

This merry band of assassins' newest member is Tatsumi, a naïve boy from a remote village who had embarked on a journey to help his impoverished hometown and was won over by not only Night Raid's ideals, but also their resolve. Akame ga Kill! follows Tatsumi as he fights the Empire and comes face-to-face with powerful weapons, enemy assassins, challenges to his own morals and values, and ultimately, what it truly means to be an assassin with a cause." Very nice deep story, not just slash and bash thing! Really nice soundtrack as well

- https://myanimelist.net/anime/1080/Sento...q=yukikaze: "This full 3DCG digital animation has story takes place in the far future after a pillar of huge fog appeared suddenly in the South Pole. This pillar, known as Jam, is actually a passage for an earth invasion.

In order to oppose the threat, the United Nations established an earth defense mechanism. Fukai Zero is a hero registered to the main force of earth defense and the special 5th flight squadron. His reconnaissance plane, Yukikaze (windblown snow) is the best tactical reconnaissance plane. His job is to collect battle information return safely to the base with the information. But one day when he about to finish his duty, an unidentified machine attacked him...". One very twisted view on alien-parallelworld-encounters. The animation & graphics OH MY GOD! For 2005, I think it still might be the best visual animation I've ever seen in terms of visual effects. Pretty twisted as well. It's kind of hard to follow some times but man, just give it a shot! :D. It isn't one of the popular ones

- Agree with the above, Boku Dake ga Inai Machi is just amazing, might be the best psychological cartoon I've seen so far

Well, I hope you haven't seen some of them D:. Have fun :P

Lately I've been working on the Macross franchise. Right now I'm at the Frontier stage. So far my favorite installments have been the original series and the Macross Plus movie.

I've also been watching the original Dragon Ball series for the first time.

In terms of recommendations for you I'd say try watching Erased. It was pretty deep and toyed heavily with my emotions.
Dragon Ball Super, Naruto Shippuden
Watching Darling in the Franxx. Show is very slow...