Matt's sketchbook
agree with sansreAnne for the comment, light is inconsistent, but one thing i wanna add is the lack of reflected light . you are pretty good at landscape painting and you know a lot about colors, composition, and atmospheric perspective, but since you don't study much the figure, you lack of skills in rendering the form, which emphasis understanding the light source, visualizing in 3d, know where the light is reflectng on the shadow, a really different set of skills, but keep at it and you'll improve a lot !

@Sans & Kikin
Thanks for your comments. I totally see what you mean. I did a little edit to hopefully make a little things a little bit more consistent. One thing I struggle with is entertaining forms in space, which directly relates to how shadows interact with other forms.

Attached Files Image(s)

drawing day

Attached Files Image(s)

More things.

Attached Files Image(s)

Thumbs Up 
Your anatomy and master studies are coming along swimmingly bro! The forms in your figures look incredibly solid and structural, nice work!

VooDoo
Thanks allot man. Pretty much anything figurative is heavily observed, so I can't take too much credit. George Bridgman's "Constructive Anatomy" is an absolute cheat sheet when it comes to structure.

First is a little study after Even Elving.
Second is a landscape from imagination that I've put a fair bit of time into recently. Reasonably happy with how it turned out. There's a few compositional issues, but I decided to put it to bed.

Attached Files Image(s)

more things.

Attached Files Image(s)

More things. 
First is a study after EH Campton
Second/third is a landscape from imagination

Attached Files Image(s)

Spent some time today and yesterday painting imaginary things.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi all.
Few different things today. First is a Wip of some slightly less generic mountains I'm dinkering away on.
Spent some time today going over some previous paintings and picking them apart. What works, what doesn't, etc.
Started on a Beirstadt study that I may or may not continue with.
Last is some pages of the skitch bik from the last few days. Spent allot of yesterday doing those two little gouache paintings, as a birthday gift for mum.

Attached Files Image(s)

Anatomy stuff.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey matt! Love the coherency of your work! Think I learned what you were saying in my SB lookin through, yea i think i see how you're making lines that you know have function. I think my problem is i would try and ghost little lines by placing hard defining lines instead of light ones.

Keep on those lanscape studies! They look promising!

One thing I'd reccomend is varyin and defining edge quality like you did in this one
http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/attachme...5-imag.jpg

But with this one a lot are kinda blurry
http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/attachme...imag-2.jpg

So just zoom in and tighten the edges where necessary and It'll really bump your work up!

70+Page Koala Sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3465.html SB

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
Hi all.
Still here, doing things. Lurking in all your threads.

@Fedodika
Thanks man. I totally take your point. Edges are tricky. At this stage I'm tending to be pulling out an image from abstract mush, which is why these landscapes have a tendency to be blurry. I'll pay more attention to the edges next time!

Attached Files Image(s)

Work from the 24th,25th and 26th. Gouache painting is a wip. I wanted to have a little bit of a record of how a typical painting changes between sessions. Will update.

Attached Files Image(s)

Slower day today. Still spent allot of time drawing, but took it a bit easier and just enjoyed myself. Something I really adore is abstract forms, shapes, and space. I quite enjoy playing with and rendering weird shit, as seen below. I've also found it to be an excellent exercise in bringing awareness to composition, as well as shape design.
Values here are all wonky, but its enough to communicate the idea.

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice studies so far! Also yep, abstract forms are very useful for design.
Do you have some artistic goals atm or are you just trying/learning different stuff?

@neopatogen Thanks for the kind words. I don't really have any specific artistic goals, other than to make more art. I try not to worry too much about "will I ever be good enough", or "will I ever be pro", and just get on with things. It's my way of sidestepping the suffocating, and stunting, self doubt I had about my work (and self) that I had when I was younger. Of course I have my bad days /weeks, but ultimately this mindset works out better for me than being super desperate to improve. Having said that, I am learning to manage my time better, and am managing to spend more time on art. I work pretty slowly though, so while It mightn't look like I'm producing terribly much, I am spending a fair bit on time on it, be it study, or practice.

tl;dr No specific goals, just learning and making things, and trying to make a practice out of it.

Spent some time on head abstractions and trying to understand basic proportion.
A couple more slow hours on my graphite abstract.
Also finished a gouache painting of the back fence, and started another one... Also of the back fence.

Attached Files Image(s)

Finished this here painting

Roughly 14x21 cm

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey Matthew thought I'd stop by since you were kind enough to help me out. Don't really have alot to offer atm critique wise, just keep up the good work! I really like your outdoor paintings (your making me want to go out and paint now haha). :)

Love what you're doing here Matthew :). Really solid work. I also like how you seem to be savouring the journey as much as the destination, taking your time over things - this is something I try do do myself with varying degrees of success.

Do you find that painting traditionally helps your digital painting?

Keep it going mate.

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook