CC Q&A and discussion thread
Ah, I see. Then sometime in next week if we are lucky. :) How long do we get to work on the project? The rest of the month?

"Drawing is a skill like hammering a nail. You might not be great at it yet, but there is nothing stopping you from gettin' down and hammering away." -Irshad Karim

Sketchbook!
3 weeks

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
hey guys! I think this is the place to ask these questions about CC4, I'm excited to take on this one!

Question 1: The brief says a 'complete narrative', does that preclude ending with a cliffhanger / page turner type panel? I.e does there need to be a definite end to the narrative?

Question 2: Could it be a strip instead of a typical comic book (portrait) formatted page?

Apologies if this stuff was already covered someplace ^^

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453
@Jyonny

#1: Depends on how you implement it. I think there has to be a conclusion to the arc that is on that page..so we aren't left in the middle of some major decision point or something like that. Probably less risky if you do something self-contained? Leave that up to you though.

#2: No, I think a strip is a completely different format. That's the one thing that we'd like to keep consistent. Unless you are thinking like those Calvin and Hobbes one-pagers, which are sort of like an extended strip. That's probably ok.

Thanks for the reply! That clears things up :)

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453
No probs Jyonny!

Link to free (for non commercial usage) comic fonts on Blambot.
http://www.blambot.com/fonts_dialogue.shtml#

A basic script template that is similar to the way I do mine
http://www.comicbookscriptarchive.com/ar...ic-script/

Hey question! Can we do collabs? I have a writer friend that wants to write for comics, and we've done some projects before. We work really well together and have been looking into doing more sequential things for a while c:

Sure thing Vlada, why not!

Awesome, thanks!

CC4 format question: just found out that the conversion seen in the briefs is slightly wrong

10in = 254mm, 7.5 = 190.5mm while
267mm = ~10.5in, 178mm = ~7in

Can we use either or?

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead
I might have specified one of those measurements which does or does not take into account print bleeds! Since this is a purely digital thing, you know what man, use whatever you like :)

Be careful - 1mm wrong and you're disqualified. We'll be watching!

This may sound like a *really* dim question, but the 12pm deadline - is that 12 noon, or 12 midnight? Because when it comes to 12 o'clock some people use the pm in different ways

-   Sketchbook   - 
12 PM Noon! With the sun up! Check with www.worldtimebuddy.com to know your local time! UTC 12:00PM is the deadline.

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead
thx John. 12pm is in practical use terms always noon. Those people who use 12pm as midnight are just trying to make things difficult. You have a point though, it can be confusing so we will use the word noon in our deadlines from now on. I like the idea of a high noon deadline :)

1. Can there be other other creatures or people in the illustration as long as they are not the main focal point, but show the story and mood?

2. Should the companions be creepy-looking or is it enough that the environment is creepy? I'm pretty much sure I saw "creepy companions" phrase during the stream but can't find it in the brief

Hey guys, do we have to create a character sheet for each character or just the illustration?

"to design two companions" and "and then create an illustration"
made me suspicious
(10-08-2016, 08:32 PM)neopatogen Wrote: 1. Can there be other other creatures or people in the illustration as long as they are not the main focal point, but show the story and mood?

2. Should the companions be creepy-looking or is it enough that the environment is creepy? I'm pretty much sure I saw "creepy companions" phrase during the stream but can't find it in the brief
1. I'd say there can be other characters as long as you keep the two companions as the focal point. A viewer has to emediately recognise them as the main characters.

2. It was actually supposed to be a halloween themed challenge, so we changed the title, so people wouldn't get confused.
(10-08-2016, 10:06 PM)Knopfkater Wrote: Hey guys, do we have to create a character sheet for each character or just the illustration?

"to design two companions" and "and then create an illustration"
made me suspicious
The final product we will judge is the illustration, but we'd like to see your studies and design sketches (they don't have to be very refined though, as long as they help you acheve the main goal).

Thank you Piotr
How much of the characters needs to be visible? Like full body, or is a bust also oke, assuming both characters are in the illustration and the relationship is clear?