Jade's CC2 WIPS
I just finished watching the lore video that was linked in the CC2 page. Very helpful for those of us who don't own or never played the game. I'm not gonna lie I am a little bit of a chicken when it comes to playing games like Bloodborne. I get too into my games. But, I love watching others play. It was a bit of a spoiler but essentially it helped me narrow my focus for this project. 

So I will probably be playing around with the first two possibilities. Henry the Raven and The Source of the Great Ones, until one proves to work better than the other. This is an interesting challenge. Completely out of my comfort zone here. I love it!
While looking for inspiration and reference materials yesterday I remembered a terrifying book I used to be fascinated with when I was younger. Anyone as old as me who loves horror might remember "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark". One of the most terrifying children's book I have ever had the chance to read.

Bloodborne reminded me of this book and I feel compelled to draw inspiration from the art style of Stephen Gammell and maybe attempt something slightly more traditional. Probably a mix of styles. I want this image to be as striking as the work done in both Bloodborne and this children's book that used to give me nightmares.

Attached Files Image(s)

Some character sketches...

Attached Files Image(s)

looking good JadeSky keep it up, keep pushing those ideas, exploration and studies... will be lurking lol
I absolutely love that you are going to other artists with similar themes and styles for your inspiration. Stephen Gammel looks like a great fit. Keep it up, keen to see how it develops!

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
Oi. Sounds like a good marriage! I'm curious how it's going to look like!

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead
Thanks but my ideas keep bringing me back to the drawing board. I just can't seem to snag a concept I like yet. I suppose I still have tons of time to play around. I'll keep at it. I've only had one idea seem to make it partway  but it's just not jarring enough for what I want. I need to dig deeper. I don't think I'll have many issues with the colors or lighting in this one I am more concerned about the composition. I want it to be powerful. I want it to grab my viewer and make you take another look. That's my goal. 

I've resorted to studying simple shape compositions. Those seem to get the brain juices flowing more than anything else. These are real quick sketches...what I can crank out when my little one lets me.

Attached Files Image(s)

Good sketches! Not sure if it was the intention, but they look kinda cute with the big eyes ;).
And the brief says that the ratio is 16:9, zo a wide landscape. So if you want to follow the brief, something to keep in mind.

Good luck :)

Ok so, FINALLY after a number of trashed sketches I decided to go with the pool of blood and the ideas for a monster came flooding through my brain. I don't even think I can draw fast enough...

I know there's no nudity in bloodborne and that's ok but I kinda want this monster to feel kinda human. I was going to go with blood dripping down her human parts kind of a sadistic erotic feel. I'm going for the lore where let's say a female hunter becomes a Great One. This monster while inspired by  this awesome devil mantis I want it to be a bit different. I will probably show more in further sketches but I finally feel like I have some sense of direction.

Attached Files Image(s)

Really cool direction you're taking here. I'm struggling a bit with that myself. Hope to see more soon!
I had the same idea with using Scary Stories as inspiration. Great minds think alike :)

more studies...
 Ok, so I've really been inspired by the orchid mantis. If you don't know what that is you ought to look it up. Cool creatures. Nature has so much inspiration.  =)

Attached Files Image(s)

Some color studies. Aside from blood, most the colors in bloodborne don't seem to pass a certain level of saturation.

Attached Files Image(s)

Orchid mantises look crazy! Keep up that design work.

Some more research and good ol' sketches...

Attached Files Image(s)

That mantis looks really interesting. Keep this up :)

When I look at the Bloodborne creature design, there is beauty in it's grotesqueness.

I think you're still in the process of figuring out the designs, so I hope it's not too late for me to comment that, your Great One design is beautiful, but not in a "Bloodborne" kind of way. The design looks like something I'd find in a nature setting (seeing you've referenced mantises and really colorful orchids). Maybe that can work out if you twist it in such a way to be dark and cryptic.

Great architectural references! Don't forget to compose at a 16:9 ratio!

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead
(04-11-2016, 11:26 PM)John Wrote: When I look at the Bloodborne creature design, there is beauty in it's grotesqueness.

I think you're still in the process of figuring out the designs, so I hope it's not too late for me to comment that, your Great One design is beautiful, but not in a "Bloodborne" kind of way. The design looks like something I'd find in a nature setting (seeing you've referenced mantises and really colorful orchids). Maybe that can work out if you twist it in such a way to be dark and cryptic.

Great architectural references! Don't forget to compose at a 16:9 ratio!

Thanks. I know what you mean about it having a kind of beauty and grotesqueness, that's actually what I was kind of going for. I think if I play around with the colors right I might be able to give it that bloodborne feel. That was actually kind of my idea. Having a kind of mix of both because I am not used to drawing anything even remotely terrifying so it has a touch of my own style in it. 

I am still playing around with the design. Because I don't usually work in this genre I am just looking at other artist's that do and taking notes here and there about what makes a terrifying monster. I wanted my creature to have legs that look almost human, but having four of them and having them be insect like makes it grotesque. I just need to find some more to push it further in that bloodborne direction I think.
I found the perfect reference for the kind of skin I am going for. I am going to study that next then finally get started towards the final picture.

Attached Files Image(s)

Playing around with the comp to make sure I like it before starting the final pic. Gonna do a few more if I have the time.

Attached Files Image(s)