C.H.O.W DOWN #1 - Chainsaw Hero
[Image: rIVJvXp.jpg]

Character of the Week #1
»CHAINSAW HERO«

A victim caught in a darkened part of a horrible city late at night, a vicious thug menacing and terrible looming over their newest victim,  "They stalk the streets at night, hunting for crime in a city gone mad, if you're in trouble, if you need help, perhaps you will meet -The Chainsaw Hero-"

Design a hero or anti-hero that fights crime using a chainsaw or chainsaw based weapon.

Hello folks! I'm kicking off the CHOWs once more. Stealing and slightly tweaking the layout used by our fantastic community members in the past, as to be expected the best of the CHOWs will be picked by an anonymous poll in the Finals thread and the winner is given the opportunity to pick the theme of the next weeks design, as well as becoming the title banner for that week! So go hard, design something interesting and unique!

Guidelines:
  • No photograph paint overs, must be 100% original work. (See next rule for exception)
  • 3D is permitted and renders MAY be used as whole or in part of a painting, as long as YOU created the work. Pre-made and/or purchased, online, assets are forbidden.
  • There is no restriction on the character's gender, time period or culture.
  • Studies are recommended, but not required.
  • There is no restriction on image formats (horizontal, vertical, square).
  • Environment backgrounds are optional.
  • Keep in mind you are not required to stick to what is in the passage. It is more of a guide in terms of mood.

Rules:
  • You must post at least one WIP in the WIP thread to be accepted into the final poll.
  • Finals must be posted in the finals thread before the deadline.
  • At least 3/4 of the character must be visible (minimum from the knees up). No back views are allowed without a front.
  • Only ONE character please.
  • Only ONE submission per person in the finals thread.
  • Sketches, WIPs, or rushed artwork will not be accepted into the poll.
  • No fanart. We want to see your original, unique interpretations!
Deadline is Friday, December 30 @10pm GMT

-+|| WIP THREAD ||+-

Freak! I thought the deadline is Sunday 18 for some reason... man! And I saw this on Saturday :D... Welp, better get to some working :)

Amazing intiative, but may I suggest that the deadline is extended a bit due to the upcoming christmas holidays? I am definitly planning to enter, but 1-2 days during the deadline fall away for me (and I presume, for many others) simply because its christmas.

I struggled with deadlines when I took part in the CC's so am really trying to manage my time on this.

Here's a paragraph to introduce the background story and also a WIP painting.

"On the broken world of Dustryon, Princess Tronica Vin is heir to the throne of Vangaia and is a technological genius but she is easily bored.  To get her kicks she takes to the streets of her crime ridden kingdom and indulges in a bit of vigilantism.  Armed with a chainsword of her own design she has taken down some heavy duty baddies already.  What will she do next?"

[Image: attachment.php?aid=95045]

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Glad to see the interest!

Got a fine point there Zorrentos its a hard time of the year to get anything done so, For the first CHOW its actually CHOTW, Character of the Two Weeks! Deadline changed to the following friday, just means you guys gotta go extra hard on this one.

Fantastic start Artloader, my only suggestion to to pull up some ref for the female form, heads sitting a bit odd but the grid work and start on the lighting is fantastic

This thread needs more shit
My lizard man is going to have a chainsaw katana, it's not designed yet cause I am failing so bad with the face  and face a much more challenging part:)

Attached Files Image(s)

Thats some awesome development! I love the gesture you've done and the silhouette for the lizardman should be really cool, my only suggestion is trying to develop the lizardness further down from the chin. I can't wait to see more and the finished product, awesome work guys.

Awesome concept Neo! That's an interesting challenge you've set yourself (designing a humanoid lizard face). I like the idea of the crest though. Good luck! Can't wait to see where you take this next.

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Love the design in the finals Thread Art, and thanks for taking part, do be aware that the deadline has been pushed out to the 30th because of Christmas if that changes things.

(12-23-2016, 12:27 PM)Vandall Wrote: Love the design in the finals Thread Art, and thanks for taking part, do be aware that the deadline has been pushed out to the 30th because of Christmas if that changes things.

Thanks mate, and thanks also for your critique about the head position, I followed your advice and searched out a few refs and then moved the head slightly to her right.

Yeah I was aware that the deadline had moved but one of the main objectives for me here was to force myself to work to a deadline and manage my time better hence why I submitted already.

CD Sketchbook

All good brother Im glad you took part, great idea too I hope youll be able to get involved in the next one too.

My very bad first WIP, as the notes say, he's human, I thought of alien and other things, but given my lack of experience I decided to keep it more traditional since I'm not able to properly do even this :))

So the chainsaw thing is attached to his arm and he's able to move it through wires connected to the nerves so it behaves as a shield & offensive weapon. Still thinking about the design.

Clothes will be all inspired from industrial workers. The guys is crazy and mad with bloodlust cause you know, he had it a bit rough, but he still has a sense of moral principles. But man... the things he's doing to the wrong doers...

Attached Files Image(s)

Great WIP! I dig the future axe and chainsaw arm, the concept you've got going is rad. My only suggestion is to try some silhouttes to get down a pushed out shape, even if you go back to the OG design you might find something you like

So I started sketching a-hell-a lot  Stupid

I got this image of an 80s cyberpunk girl that roams the street at night looking for criminals to slice and dice up with her custom made chainsaw spear. At first I tried some standard poses, but I really wanted to show her in a dynamic action pose, so I continued to sketch. 

My first pages of thumbs for the pose (I dont regret doing so many, I can just re-use them for other pics, designs etc if I feel like it).

[Image: l7dgoKS.jpg]

[Image: 13LoQYb.jpg]

[Image: l0LKyam.jpg]

[Image: 0M10MiM.jpg]

Thanks @Vandall, I'll definitely try out some thumb/sketch poses for the final image. Nice idea, I just wanted to have more defined elements for that so without any further ado, here's the second WIP.

Thinking a bit more of the chainsaw design. I sill haven't done studies of clothes etc which I should definitely do. Hopefully will do a bit of that tomorrow, let's see how this goes :D

Attached Files Image(s)

Here's what i got so far:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Image: tde5lnf.png]

A mechanic/engineer that went vigilante after stuff happened to his family, and later on finds other like-minded individuals who help him wipe crime out of the streets through fear and other psychological goodness.

His main weapons are a custom-built hydraulic chainsaw and a flamethrower gauntlet with multiple injection modes, both powered by a backpack engine of his own invention.

His way of fighting is based on a no-prisoner policy, usually setting everything on fire first, and then ripping appart whoever is left amidst the chaos.

In order to keep his identity a secret after he and his crew started clashing with organized crime, he started using white contact lenses and a mask/scarf with a skull on it, this and his dramatic entrances raining napalm from his bike earned him the title "pale rider''.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Theme song: Darkness by SPF1000 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA-CTW0q-FM

Hope i can give this a proper render before the deadline, speed is still a major issue for me :/

-------------------------------------------------------------
I like dragons, power metal and epic stuff :D

Sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7564.html
Deviantart: http://metashinryu.deviantart.com/

In the end I think this is going to be the final pose. Yes I know I have all sorts of anatomical problems. I'm not very good at this! I'm trying :)

Well, let's see how the final will look :D

update: fourth WIP added, I am actually really surprised how this is turning out. It might actually not be crap! :))

Attached Files Image(s)

@Razvanc-r: Intriguing concept - I love the backstory to this mate - kudos for finishing already.

CD Sketchbook

@Metashinryu: Great design work on this mate - that chainsaw looks awesome! Looking forward to seeing where you take this!

CD Sketchbook

@Zorrentos: Great poses - my favourite is the one where she is lunging - looks like you've picked that one to take forward aswell. Keep going mate - looking forward to more!

CD Sketchbook