Crimson CHOW #29 - Alien Royalty

This week's theme and brief by previous winner, Jana

Crimson Character of the Week #29
Alien Royalty

"In a far away Galaxy on an unexplored planet, the population is ruled by monarchy. Your character is part of that powerful family."

The best of the CHOWs will be picked by an anonymous poll in the Finals thread and the winner is given the opportunity to pick the theme of the next CHOW's design, as well as becoming the title banner for that week! So go hard, design something interesting and unique!

Guidelines:
  • No photograph paint overs, must be 100% original work. (See next rule for exception)
  • 3D is permitted and renders MAY be used as whole or in part of a painting, as long as YOU created the work. Pre-made and/or purchased, online, assets are forbidden.
  • There is no restriction on the character's gender, time period or culture.
  • Studies are recommended, but not required.
  • There is no restriction on image formats (horizontal, vertical, square).
  • Environment backgrounds are optional.
  • Keep in mind you are not required to stick to what is in the passage. It is more of a guide in terms of mood.

Rules:
  • You must post at least one WIP in the WIP thread to be accepted into the final poll.
  • Finals must be posted in the finals thread before the deadline.
  • At least 3/4 of the character must be visible (minimum from the knees up).
  • Only ONE submission per person in the finals thread.
  • No fanart. We want to see your original, unique interpretations!
  • Voting will be held for 5 days after the deadline.
  • In an event of a tiebreaker, a winner will be chosen through a randomized name picker.

Deadline is Monday, July 5th @ UTC: 23:59

-+|| WIP THREAD ||+-
I'm really wanting to participate in this one and get to a finished stage. A lot has been going on so sorry I didn't participate in the last few challenges, but things should be on track going forward!

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Discord: emnida
Looks cool already. I already get the feel of "alien" and "royalty", mainly thanks to that webbed hood and gown thingy.
I can't wait to see the "glowing brainbowl" rendered!
I've been swinging between hard-science exobiology (such as the queen of a social insectoid colony) and mainstream SF/fantasy humanoids last night and the humanoids have predominated in my sketches, they are more relatable but less alien ultimately. Still digging...

@Pubes Thanks, I hoped so. I didn't do any exploring I pretty much had one idea and am rolling with it. 

@Leo I haven't played with brains in a while so I hope it pays off!

Insectoids are heaps of fun to get creative with - I'm trying to stick to more deep-sea crustacean designs, and the brain bowl comes mostly from the fish with a bioluminescent dome on its head. Deep sea critters are always so alien anyway it's another world in and of itself. I thought putting the emphasis on the brain and not the body would bring attention to intelligent alien life and not just a creature.

Chipped away at some more this morning. Done away with the mantis-prawn pincers in the abdomen and replacing with a batch of eggs. I dabbled with costuming but it was just gimmicky on the form, I couldn't picture them wearing clothes and instead just decorating themselves like decorator crabs, so keeping with the crustacean theme, I'm thinking of doing a living coral wrap-around, something organic. 

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

So cool, I like the concept alot. It really looks regal and kind of creepy, but in a good way. The frill gives it the royalty vibes. Is she holding an egg in her hand? Would be nice if you could see a tiny embryo through it, but I guess its abit too small for that.

Rough wip. Going for pretty basic humanoid character portrait (compared to Rotten's concept anyway!) , but i'm hoping the colors and textures will turn out cool. It's inspired a bit by Egyptian pharaohs.

Attached Files Image(s)

@ Jana, Yeah that's what I'm ending up with but I don't think it's too small to paint an embryo in - I'm always happy to add unnecessary amounts of detail. 

@ JosephCow, I wouldn't say it's basic, just like your faun it's a classic examples of theme - we all know about the pyramid conspiracies but I don't remember seeing any decent examples except for Indiana Jones' Crystal Skull, but that was more Mayan. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Took a crack at the arm this morning before running out to work. Contemplating having my laptop replaced for a tablet and using clip studio on it so I can take my work with me. Come ooon tax return...

Sketcherinos

Link Tree