Crimson CHOW #32 - Cave Person

This week's theme and brief by previous winner, JosephCow

Crimson Character of the Week #32
Cave Person

"Your character is from the paleolithic era, or other such situation with only primitive technology. Where would they live? what would they wear? What weapons would they have? Could go with a classic character, or add a twist to it."

The best of the CHOWs will be picked by an anonymous poll in the Finals thread and the winner is given the opportunity to pick the theme of the next CHOW's design, as well as becoming the title banner for that week! So go hard, design something interesting and unique!

Guidelines:
  • No photograph paint overs, must be 100% original work. (See next rule for exception)
  • 3D is permitted and renders MAY be used as whole or in part of a painting, as long as YOU created the work. Pre-made and/or purchased, online, assets are forbidden.
  • There is no restriction on the character's gender, time period or culture.
  • Studies are recommended, but not required.
  • There is no restriction on image formats (horizontal, vertical, square).
  • Environment backgrounds are optional.
  • Keep in mind you are not required to stick to what is in the passage. It is more of a guide in terms of mood.

Rules:
  • You must post at least one WIP in the WIP thread to be accepted into the final poll.
  • Finals must be posted in the finals thread before the deadline.
  • At least 3/4 of the character must be visible (minimum from the knees up).
  • Only ONE submission per person in the finals thread.
  • No fanart. We want to see your original, unique interpretations!
  • Voting will be held for 5 days after the deadline.
  • In an event of a tiebreaker, a winner will be chosen through a randomized name picker.

Deadline is Monday, December 20th @ UTC: 23:59

-+|| WIP THREAD ||+-
Interest has waned in the challenge threads, which is inevitable with these things, so I'll stop making them, at least for now. If anyone else wishes to make a COW or CHOW thread, I will not be mad.
Yeah I came up with this one and even I haven't submitted anything. I think everyone is just too busy now

Yeah, sustained participation in these things probably requires a big NEET population in the forum
(10-03-2021, 12:58 AM)Pubic Enemy Wrote: Yeah, sustained participation in these things probably requires a big NEET population in the forum

Yeah, in the summer I was literally looking for stuff to participate in because I was bored, but now I have school so

I swear I typed out a reply to this ages ago but my dumbass mustn't have hit send.

The gist if it was, sorry I didn't participate, it was a real bummer because I had recently binge-read the entire Earth's Children series. I wanted to know everyone's feelings about Monthly prompts over weekly. I've done a few monthly prompts since elsewhere but really only spend less than a week on it because of work/life. It at least allows more opportunity to participate.

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Discord: emnida
Yeah, monthly prompts would definitely be better. That's why I usually made them 2 weeks in duration, but a month would be even better.

If you still have interest in this prompt Rotten I'll edit the post with a new 1 month limit this weekend.
Hey, I would be up to participate again and I also like the idea of stretching the time limit to a month. I wasn´t able to do art stuff the last few weeks because of several reasons, but now I have enough time again. So if there is a new prompt count me in :-)

I would do it again, I'm more likely to get something done if I have a month. But I'm also more likely to just put it off because there's so much time lol. We can do the cave person, or start a new one I don't care either way.

Awesome.

I think what I have in mind would be classed as fanart and will definitely be doing something along those lines in my own time now that I'm on holiday.

I think for a new format a new prompt would be best.

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Glad to hear it guys. I probably should go with a new prompt, but I think the current one is pretty good, so I'm restarting it.

Also, even though I copied and pasted the "no fanart" guideline, I don't have a problem with fan art as long as it involves some original interpretation. Art of a character from a non-picture book requires a lot more thought than fan art of a character from visual media.
I had the impulse to draw a standard pulp novel-looking caveman, possibly from the planet Mongo. And we gotta have an oversized dog in there. They were the earliest domesticated animal, after all. I will make a second version with many changes (such as fitting on the page).

C'mon guys, wanna see how ripped, tight, and primitive you can get.

Awesome! okay, i'll draw my pulp fiction caveman now! :)

Good, that's the spirit
mm kay here's my sketch. I'm feelin good about it, I feel like it's exactly the kind of bullshit they would put on one of those novels at the airport. I added a chick doing absolutely nothing useful, and some hideous colors.

I really want to fix some anatomy stuff, like his right arm needs to look like it's going back more

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice foundation Pubes - and I see your useless female, Joseph, and I will counter it with a badass mumma with her tits out fists out...

Attached Files Image(s)

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

And an hour later we have a baby mumma base

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Joseph: It's great. It's pure pulp. As usual, the arrangement of values makes for a strong read. Overall I think the anatomy and proportions are lookin pretty good.

Rotten: Thanks. Baby mumma looks great, full of attitude. Love the linework, particularly on the face and feathered hair. Baby's looking pretty good too (they're hard to draw, so kudos)
ROTTEN: I love that, it's looking great!

Update on mine: 

This is going to be like a book cover, still workshopping the title. I'm thinking right now, Primal Desires

It's about a city girl with a boring life who goes back in time and meets this neanderthal dude. At first she just needs him to help her get home, protecting her from the dangers of this primeval landscape, but then she realizes she likes how a real man treats her....

Attached Files Image(s)

Sketch, result is posted in finals thread
[Image: pkHyHi7l.jpg]