Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: The Sketchy Sketchbook of ....Sketchyness!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
ah satoru san , i dont know much about him but i do like how nintendo has been doing all throughout this years , so i assume he has to do with how nintendo has been successful.

art wise though , you can go a little darker and Brighter in value in his face, just to put emphasis to his face, Focal point.

http://www.proko.com/wp-content/uploads/...collar.jpg

see how the face has much more going on but on the right side of his face (our left) its almost flat?
it directs our eyes on his face where all of the brightest and darkest values are.
just a little trick for making portraits...
KurtJeremy:Thanks for the crit man, damn I actually had a bit more contrast on the face beforehand but I got rid of it because I thought it might be too much lol.
Pressure was acting up for a day and only working when I pushed hard on it and after I opened it up and it seems a part above the spring has fallen off, anyway the pen does'nt read at all now(barring the movement across the screen), so i'm gonna have to go do traditional for a while until I can afford a new one.
Hey, great work! You've really come a long way, you know, and I hope you remember that. You've kept pushing and improving and doing better and better as a result! This latest tribute is a testament of how far you've come. Sorry that you've lost your wacom, but don't let that stop you! Keep it up man! Sketch up your traditional sketchbook-- It could be a blessing in disguise! Time to change it up! Thumbs_up
Thanks dude, Yeah I need to start posting again, getting a new tablet has been taking longer then I thought and I figured I might as well wait now till I can get a quality one.
Have'nt got much to show atm since i've been working on technical skills like shading the last week or so rather then anything interesting, but i'll try and post an update in the next week or so, going back to traditional mainly is a good kick in the ass though, for one my technical skills with it are mostly terrible especially shading(which as said i'm trying to remedy) and i can't draw for shit from imagination, I can do some decent stuff on tablet primarily because I can keep going over them again and again and again, but having a limit to that and having to plan ahead is really difficulty.
Hi mate! i hope you can get a new tablet soon, but in the mean time im glad you are back to traditional stuff. Like you said, going traditional is like playing in hardcore mode haha its more difficult but you will get better faster. I will be waiting here for that update ;)
Eduardo:Hey man, how you been.
Damn right it's like putting on hardcore mode, showed me how much I relied on the eraser tool because i can't draw from imagination for shit now, normally i'd just be able to keep messing around until it looks somewhat decent but now, it kinda has to be pre-planned to an extent anyway.

Shading practices from last week, not paticularly interesting XD but I figured I should upload these anyway, think my shading technique improved quite a bit though i'm still having trouble being able to apply it more complex forms like the figure.
[attachment=73872][attachment=73873]
[attachment=73874][attachment=73875]

Figures, took a bunch of poses from pinterest and tried to change things about them such as the arm placement on one or the head on the other, figured it'd be helpful as I can't think of poses from my head at all.
[attachment=73870][attachment=73871]

And the clothing stuff, expect to see more over the top jackets because i'm obsessed with that shit XD.
[attachment=73864][attachment=73865]
[attachment=73866][attachment=73867]
[attachment=73868][attachment=73869]
Quick update, started working on drawing clothing but then I figured it might be best to learn how to draw mannequins better first so that i'll have a good basis on what to put the clothing on.
[attachment=74046]
[attachment=74047]
Starting by trying to get better at foreshortening with mixed results, been trying Sycra's coil technique though i'm not finding it all that helpful in most cases, mainly in foreshortening related to the torso or when the body part is coming towards rather then away.

[attachment=74048]
Copys of other foreshortened poses, as said mainly having issues with really extreme foreshortening, not sure how much of it is due to bad anatomy knowledge though.
[attachment=74049]
[attachment=74050]
[attachment=74051]
[attachment=74054]
Started trying to draw poses from different angles or by moving different body parts
[attachment=74052]
[attachment=74053]
[attachment=74055]
Hey man nice mannequins. Have you tried Robert Beverly Hale's cranial units of measuring the figure?
Adam Lina:Yeah I checked it out, good method though I feel like going all the way with the 3d box method of it would overconfuse the image(unless you really really need acuracy) i'm finding it useful for foreshortened poses and general proportions though like the head to bottom of the neck.

Quick update, first SNAAAAAAAKE!!!
[attachment=74288]

Also messed around with Sycra's method for twisting poses, not sure what I think of it, did'nt find it too helpful but maybe for quick gestures of the poses it might work.
[attachment=74289][attachment=74291][attachment=74290]
[attachment=74292]

And did a bunch of poses where I first started from copying them then redid them from memory covering the other copy up. did'nt relize till now just how bad i am at feet, even the gestural ones look terrible, i'll work on that soon.
edit:and I just relized one of these is missing and i'd already ripped it up XD.
[attachment=74293][attachment=74294]
[attachment=74295][attachment=74296]
[attachment=74297][attachment=74298]
First fanart of margeret from no more heroes http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/orig...oncept.jpg

Gonna try and go off fanart for a while so I can make some more original ideas.
[attachment=74351]

Tried one of Jazza's techniques fro poses, seems like a good method plus it was fun, using stickmen to think up the poses and then building them into construction drawings. Not sure if this'd work for complex poses with foreshortening but it helps me with regular poses
[attachment=74355][attachment=74353]

Some more figures from imagination
[attachment=74352]
[attachment=74355]

And copied ones
[attachment=74356]
Quick update, going to a friends for a few days so no updates for a few days.

Messing around more with Sycra's twisting forms method, first page is from ref the rest are all from imagination I think.
[attachment=74390]
[attachment=74389]
[attachment=74391]
[attachment=74392]
Practice is paying off dude, also now that i think about it, there is a huge gap between the stuff you can do from reference and your more imaginative stuff (im the same to be honest!) So maybe, this article i ran into the other day will be helpful whenever you start practicing stuff from imagination.

http://design.tutsplus.com/articles/why-...-cms-22967

I wanted to give it a try myself, but im too obsessed with zbrush haha so take a look and if you try it let me know about your results. I think Kim jung gi tried something similar to learn.
Good work, Trigger! I don't have anything to add really to what you're doing since I'm a beginner myself, but you keep at it! You've improved and it shows.
Rana_E:Thanks for the support and stopping by :)

Eduardo:Your addiction to ZBrush is getting scary, you need help dude :P.

Thanks for the link dude, i'll start practicing it, if kim jong gi did something similair, it's probbly a pretty good strategy ;).

yeah drawing from imagination is so hard, I kept putting it off tbh, even the few things I have done from it usually take me months to complete, traditional has made it harder since I don't have the luxury of going over stuff again and again and again(which given how long some of that stuff took me is probbly a good thing).
But no point in doing all this drawing from ref without applying it.

heres another update, did more twisting forms, right side is ref, left side is from mind though I used the ref occasionally to try to figure stuff out, some of these still look weird but I think i'm getting there more, it's more the extreme twists i'm having issues with, also trying to make the boxes more in proportion with the ribcage and pelvis.
Also i'm trying to get clean lines more so yell at me if I forget on some of these ;).
and the second pic is a knight dude I gave up on near the end, was gonna draw a giant rabbit behind him but eh, too lazy XD.
Its okay man, i can stop whenever i want to! i swear...

By the way keep doing these! i would even say, dont bother giving the figures human form, just stick to those boxes and cilinders until you are able to picture them clearly in your head from every angle, simplify stuff, and try to think in perspective before anything else.
Just like that knight, next time consider drawing the line of the horizon first then drawing a box in perspective and use it as a guide to draw the character, which should only consist on boxes and cilinders. Only after you are sure you got movement, perspective, etc right you should consider start drawing details and forms. Anyway, thats just my two cents, you are doing great in this last practice, so whatever you do, keep going!
Yeah, thanks for the reminder completely forgot about the horizon line lol, but yeah simplifying it as much as possible seems to be the way to go atm, I have'nt uploaded it because the page is'nt full yet but i'm also working on basic shapes like that link you gave me said too, drawing cubes from all angles which gets really hard for me once you need to rotate all 3 planes rather then just 2.

Alright tried to learn more about twisting by using proko's bean method, never been able to get these lookin right, frustrating as hell.
Also some meh figures, tried to copy people from imaginary angles again.
[attachment=74638]
[attachment=74639]
[attachment=74640]
quick update,
nothin special i've been having trouble concentrating the last few days for some reason, literally getting distracted by the slightest things.

the last figures were done trying to draw reference from an imagined viewpoint.
[attachment=74785]
[attachment=74786]
[attachment=74787]
[attachment=74788]
good figure study exercises man,try also to incorporate some basic form construction and perspective studies,it will help with the solidity of your figures.
GrayPersona:Cheers man, yeah i'm trying to do more basic shape studies atm, perspective studies not so much but i'm trying to keep the basics of it in mind maybe i'll do a few weeks or so of it soon.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21