Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: The Sketchy Sketchbook of ....Sketchyness!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
hey man, you are definitely improving. Sorry to hear about the stress, just take it easy and try to have fun. I can even say that being forced to draw with a real pencil has benefited you a lot.
Tools are tools, but its true that digital art makes everything way too easy, and sometimes its good to back to the roots and start climbing from there again.
Actually, that undertale fanart is an awesome imagination excercise on itself. Taking those minimalistic graphics and turning them in something more detailed is a really fun way to feed your imagination.
Cheers dude, yeah i'm generally just trying to have fun with it atm even if I don't end up studying as much for the time being it seems like the best idea, being forced to draw with a pencil is tough but it's been very helpful, i'd argue digital art does'nt make it easier but it does make it more convinient as you can erase stuff very easily, you don't have to put as much planning into it I think.

oh yeah drawing undertale fanart is a ton of fun, i'll probbly end up doing the majority of the characters(you need to play it man it's possibly my GOTY only competing with bloodborne).

More undertale fanart, I might redo this one and put alot more time into it actually, I like the composition and idea i've made for sans here but i've made a bunch of mistakes.
Also hands from life....i've got no idea how people draw their own hand XD, honestly mine just start to hurt after about 3-5 mins plus drawing yourself makes measuring damn near impossible, I draw and I end up rushing them so my hand does'nt hurt, feel like I learn more from drawing other hands even if it's photos, though it could be a good way to quickly get down poses.
hey man! good to see that undertale fanart coming, my brother seems pretty into it these days, i have to find time and start playing it.
About drawing your own hands, i used drawn my own hands for hours a couple years back, maybe.
What i did was either choosing relaxed positions, so it doesnt hurt after a few minutes. (And using a mirror for another perspective) Or limiting my practice to gesture drawings. You know, instead of doing all the measurements,etc... just squint your eyes and try to capture the overall form of the hand, the movement and rithm of the hands position.
Then you can always compare that with the info in some good anatomy book.

Now this is just my opinion but i totally recommend you to stick with those drawings from life, at least i learned much more than from photos. Since you have the subject in real 3d in front you haha.
And a photo will never offer that much information.
If you don't go for multiple playthroughs the game is pretty short, you really need to play it, though there's so much to find on multiple playthroughs, or through a certain mechanic in the game I can't spoil, the game allows for alot of experimentation and i'm surpised by how much the developer managed to hide into it, like spec ops the line it also does something in it's story only games can do which I always love.

As for the hands, yeah drawing gesturally seems to be a good idea, I can always take photos if I need poses for in depth reference, and as you said anatomy books as well.

Just a quick update with some more undertale art, I have some other stuff to upload but it's spread out on unfinished pages so i'll upload them when i've finished the pages.
[attachment=77994]
Based mainly on this sprite
http://www.dragonblogger.com/wp-content/...ale_g4.png
just wanted to leave a quick comment to say that there is a considerable jump in quality between this one and the last you posted. The movement and perspective of the character feels so right (but watch out the mandible of that skull) so whatever you have done between the two, keep doing it!
Cheers dude, yeah the mandibula got a bit fucked up, I originally drew just his chin in view and the right side of the mandibula but i figured part of the left would be visible as well.

Bunch of stuff
redone version of the Sans picture, turned out far better,
[attachment=78299]

i'm done with the proko pelvis stuff, i've improved a bit but I don't feel the method is working for me and trying to draw this small is a nightmare so god knows how i'd be able to incorporate it into a bigger drawing.
[attachment=78301]

started on the ribcage proko stuff
[attachment=78300]

And a shiton of hands, most of these done from life.
[attachment=78302][attachment=78303]
lol, aw man, I loved Undertale. Great taking inspiration from that. I gotta say-- That was my favourite mini-boss as well.

After I completed the complete pacifist playthrough, and the flower popped up.. I couldn't do the hard reset. lol. I'm such a dweeb. I probably will eventually though, if only to do another pacifist playthrough. :P

Awesome hands, man-- That's something I need to work on as well. Keep it up!
Bookend:Yeah undertale is amazing, I did the reset though, felt like shit afterwards lol but i'm doing another pacifist playthrough now.

Fanart of mettaton and more ribcage and hands.

I think i'm getting better at the ribcages, i'm finding it easier to see behind the muscles on the models and draw it, though trying to draw behind the neck connection is still difficult for me.
great! definitely keep on the studies because they are working. I think you have already found the kind of practice you need, now only thing left is to keep practicing until your eyes bleed. (In a methaphorical sense haha)
On this last undertale fanart, the movement of both characters is pretty good, only watch out the size of the hands for the human kid, they should be much smaller. Mettaton hands are perfect though.
Cheers dude, yep gotta keep drawing till my hands bleed xD.
yeah I knew about the issue with the MC's hands, suprisngly his hands and face where harder to draw then mettaton, i got into that annoying situation where I could'nt redraw anymore without damaging the paper though so I had to take it or leave it :[

W.D Gaster.
Another undertale character, one that alot of people who play the game don't even know exists, without spoiling stuff he's related to glitches which I tried to draw in here, this came out pretty bad though I think, i'm working on a better one now with a more interesting 3 point perspective.
[attachment=78737]

Think i've gotten pretty good at simplifying the ribcage down now, still have a few issues trying to find the ribcage under more muscular or interesting poses but I think i'm at a point where I can move on.
[attachment=78738]
Also did some more pelvis's which I think came out better, I think i've figured out the main issues i'm having with these,
1. I still need ref for the anatomy especially from the back 2.i'm finding it difficult to get the first bucket shape down first especially the ellipses.
[attachment=78739]

And more hands, gonna reach 100 of these and move onto something else. trying to do most if not all of them from life which is hurting the drawing quality but I suppose it's more simply paying attention to the shapes in the hand thats important here.
[attachment=78740][attachment=78741]
Quick update

redone version of the Gaster pic.
[attachment=78947]

Did a quick 30 min drawing of danny and ninja brian from NSP, finding it hard to think of things to draw atm.
[attachment=78948]

More hands from life
[attachment=78949]
[attachment=78950]

And i'm trying a method of studying Sycra posted, though I won't upload all of them as it'd be repetitive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0ufz75UvHs
it's an interesting idea, i'm not sure how well it'll work for me though, i'm not very good at critiquing especially not till after i've left my work for a while.
[attachment=78951][attachment=78952][attachment=78953]
Big update as I have'nt been able to use my scanner for a few days.

First proko shoulder girdle studies, still having a bit of trouble with these but i'm finding them easier then the pelvis ones.
[attachment=79471][attachment=79472]
[attachment=79473][attachment=79474]
Some fanart of peach since i've been playin a shiton of mario recently, having a hard time coming up with ideas for imagination sketches tbh. i'm gonna keep trying to do them daily but it's difficult.
[attachment=79470]

Hand studies, decided to do 100 hands from imagination simultaniously with the reffed ones.
reffed ones
[attachment=79462][attachment=79463]
[attachment=79464][attachment=79465]
[attachment=79466][attachment=79467]
imagination ones
[attachment=79468][attachment=79469]

and eyes from imagination.
[attachment=79461]
Hey Trigger! You are definitely putting the right amount of work in so keep it up  Thumbs_up

It might benefit you to play around with line quality/weight by doing that thing artists do when they use a knife to sharpen their pencil and hold the pencil in a way you can vary the line. (unless you are already doing that)
Iv been meaning to try that for quite awhile but I think you could pull it off nicely.

Anyway its great seeing you around :3
Hey Whiskey, thanks for dropping by man.

i've actually been sharpening my own pencils with a knife for a few months now, followed Sycra's vid on it, he showed off what you were talkin about in the vid but I could never get it to work. i'll try and work on it :).

Just some more eyes today, normally i'd of gotten more done but I was very distractable today lol, i've attached the ref for 3 of them as well.
More eye studies, Istebrak critiqued these today, learned a lot so i'm gonna try and apply it on another set.
Keep the ball rolling man,also when you get tired of drawing, you can continue with this blender tut i mentioned the other day ;D

http://cgvilla.com/2016/01/18/simple-low...-mas-baco/

Now that i remember in the 3d thread i opened last year must be a lot of blender tuts listed, so maybe its worth taking a look there too.
Thanks dude, i'm not sure how helpful it'll be as I usually prefer tutorials that talk you through the controls and stuff but it does give me a good idea of the overal process involved(painting might be too difficult without my tablet though).
And yeah i'll look through the links on the old 3d page, shame that never really took off, it'd of been cool to see more 3d artists here.

More eyes and a failed drawing of Nui Harime which i'm gonna try and redraw. Trying to draw her realistically, my main problem spots are the umbrella(seriously how do you draw the inside of those things or figure out where the back is XD), putting the bandage over her eye which given it's design is harder then I thought it'd be and the head shape and hair.
I also have issues with keeping details realistic from a distance, such as the nose and eyes, even placing them down becomes difficult when they are this small to draw.
Quick sketchdump, starting on Scott robertsons hwo to draw book now.
Quick update, started studying scott robertsons how to draw book,
Some doodles and another failed attempt at the nui drawing, gonna give it 1 more shot.
Quick update, did a bunch of figures.

first two are from ref
[attachment=80067][attachment=80068]

others from imagination
[attachment=80065][attachment=80066]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21