Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: The Sketchy Sketchbook of ....Sketchyness!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
Damn could'nt update for a while, my arm issue got a bit worse(i'm used to it but it was a bit worse the usual) and it affected my sleep and I was'nt drawing as much either :/.
Arms better but sleeps still fucked, went to bed at 9am yesterday XD.

I've finished that figure drawing but need to apply a critique I got on it so i'll upload that later.
here's some figure studies, tedious as fuck, but I think i'm getting a better grasp on turning the figure into spheres and blocks.
[attachment=67653]
[attachment=67654]
[attachment=67655]
And some Yooka Laylee fanart i'm working on, challenging as hell as i've never done anything cartoony before, having issues with figuring out a background as well.
[attachment=67656]
If you don't know what Yooka Laylee is it's the spiritual successor to Banjo Kazooie one of my favorite platformers and games of all time and possibly the first game I ever played, atleast it's the first game I can remember playing, so I just had to make fanart for this, it already looks like it's gonna capture the spirit of the original while feeling fresh and new and I cannot wait for it, if you're a gaming platformer fan and you have'nt played banjo kazooie, seriously do yourself a favour and look it up, the game has some of the most personality i've ever seen and amazing exploration and gameplay, it still holds up incredibly well.
Anyway fan rambling over XD, I'll try to upload some more interesting stuff soon.
didnt knew about your arm issue dude, hope you get better soon.
Still improving i see, you are getting a much better value control in your grayscale artworks, they used to look too gray and muddy, now there is a more defined lightning/shadow scheme.
But the biggest improvement i see is in anatomy, much better proportions, and i bet your 3d vision has improved a lot too.

PD: finished Spec ops the line the other day, i fucking loved it! i usually dont like shooters, but i'm sure i will replay this one more than once. It felt like the bastard child of The fight club and Apocalypse Now.
Thanks man, can't take complete credit for the value changes and proportions, these were both changed I applied to the form studies and figure after having them critiqued by Istebrak(originally he had legs like a basketball player XD). I'm aware of the issue now though so i'm gonna try to fix it and please call me out if I paint anymore basketball players XD.

do you feel like a hero yet? glad to hear you liked it dude.
Your second playthrough will be interesting, there's subtle details and foreshadowing in everything in that game, theres small details even in small writings on the wall and so many things I did'nt catch till either I was playing my third playthrough or people on the net pointed it out. the devs went really detailed with it all.

Just some more form studies, as said trying to keep the contrast low now.
[attachment=68361]
So I recently finished bloodborne for the second time and thought hmm maybe I should go paint..then I went and played more bloodborne but AFTER that, I decided to try painting some fanart of it XD. Anyway just a thumbnail idea for it, Im gonna mess around with the pose as it's lookin stiff atm.
[attachment=68728]
[attachment=68723]
[attachment=68724]
[attachment=68726]
[attachment=68727]
More work on the bloodborne W.I.P still having trouble with trying to make the arm look dynamic but I think the rest of the pose is lookin good now, also if anyone can link me to some good architecture tutorials i'd apreciate it alot :), i'm mainly copying the buildings of bloodbornes but a tutorial on architecture could help alot.
Also a Figure I could'nt find any good ref for it so I had to use the Lechorche app which is essentially just a 3d standing figure, battery power on my iphone ran out so I then had to do some of it straight from memory, anyway did this to try and figure out what I should focus on studying, think i'm gonna work on the legs I seem to have the most trouble with them, barrin the hands and feet which I'll do sometime soon, i'm gonna finish some head tutorials first before I try to tackle them though.
YOOKA-LAYLEEEEEEEEEEE :D-! Yeeeeeeaaaaaa!!
Does this mean you're a fan of Banjo-Kazooie, Trigger?! 

I really like the balls you have with studyin' drapery and folds and stuff O_O seriously, you have balls, I should give this a shot!

Hmm, you know, the value changes in your studies are quite subtle... being familiar with low-key values will come in handy in your finished pieces I'll tell ya that; because all the masterful paintings have subtle value shifts in common. Though at the same time, putting in some contrast where necessary will make your images pop! 
E.g.
[attachment=69046]

I did a thing for you.
Just tryin' to show you the difference adding a little bit of contrast in your studies/images will do for your work. Only used the hard and soft brush (hard for harder edges, soft for softer and a mix for larger areas. The level adjustment (L.A) was used to darken the background of the image to make your whites pop. Take into account edges in your studies/paintings to really get the ball rolling :D I'd recommend checkin' out this glorious post for more insight: Muddy Colours: Edges ) 

But yeah, having a 1-2-3 read (as shown in the two cubes down the bottom) is what determines plane changes in your paintings. So for example, if you zoom out of this pic I posted, or squinted, the cube on the right would = more readable than the cube on the left, purely because the values are more distinct than the values used on the other cube.

Anyway, I hope my feedback helps ya out in some way.

I'll check ya later, keep up the hard, fearless work, Triggerpigking!
Looking good on your fundamentals, watch out for your values as you're sticking to the mid tones at the moment. Vilppu's book has some great stuff on lighting/values : D Keep it up!
Hey man! not bad work from imagination! you probably already know this, but i will point out a few issues with the hunter figure just in case. The upper half of the body looks fine but the lower half is way to small. To be more precise, the legs are too short and the head too big. Just try changing that with the lasso tool or something, you will see a big difference. Also like Eristhe said, push those values a bit more, but not much more if you plan to color it later.
Smrr:Damn right i'm a fan of banjo kazooie XD, think it was the first game I ever actually played atleast the farthest back game I can remember playing, that or OOT, still one of the best platformer games of all time.

I don't actually find studying drapery that hard tbh, anatomy is waay harder it's not as loose as studying drapery where you can kinda design the folds more if you know what folds need to go where, still not that good at it yet though so it probbly gets harder XD.

Thanks a ton for the paintover I really appreciate it, I was keepin the contrast really low on purpose due to a crit from Istebrak back when I did them first form studies as I was using waaay to much contrast, gone the complete other extreme now it seems XD, tried to add more contrast in areas where I think it's needed, I don't want to overdo it again but it's defineitly popping out more then before now.

Eristhe: Cheers dude, did'nt know vilppu had a book on lighting and values i'll have to check it out sometime soon.

Eduardo:Thanks for the crit dude, made some changes to the hunters anatomy as you said, think it's lookin much bette now, also nah I don't plan to colour it, I was thinkin about doing so mainly because I could paint an awesome lookin blood moon then but bloodborne is such a grey game that all the attention would be turned to it I think.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Whats up guys, thanks for the comments :)

Done alot of work on the bloodborne piece, trying to keep some contrast but mainly in the focal points.
Someone pointed out to me I was starting to put a bit to much emphasis and detail into the buildings, so I decided to add a fog effect under the cliff to minimize it, think it worked well and it means I don't have to spend ages trying to paint complex buildings XD, they still need a bit more work though I think.
Think the piece is coming together a bit more now, I need to figure out how to render though, I have no clue on how to detail the body and foreground and the values are lookin a bit muddy in parts I think, hard to figure out which areas will be darker then the other when the light is'nt hitting either of them.

Also added some eyes and a nose to this skull, think I tend to make the eyes too large i'm not kiddin they were almost twice as big as this before I had to gradually shrink them and I STILL think they are a bit big.
That skull is creeepyyyyy.
Nice job with the blodborne piece but, how would you bury somebody so close to a cliff?
Also, legs are kinda short.
The skulls creepy? doing my job right then XD. Honestly, theres a shiton of graves near cliffs in the game as well, I dunno maybe they just ran out of room or something? XD, the whole city seems to be built vertically like a maze going upwards though so maybe that's why,  the legs are still to short then?!..i'm terrible at this XD, think it's because I measure in heads so when it's a back view of the body my brain short circuits lol. thanks for the crits dude.
Awesome.
I actually found that part of the game really weird haha, just 12 tombstones mashed together, it looks cool though.
Btw, measuring in heads is not wrong, but find other ways to measure like hands to ground, or hands to head, hands to crotch, hip to floor etc.
Yeah they are still too short man, but you are going the right way. You have improved a lot since that Spec ops piece you did. You either need to reduce the size of the arms or enlarge and extend the legs.
Also, what Gliger said, measuring with heads is not wrong, but its also important to find other ways to measure proportions and stuff. Also, since i know you like working on sculptris, you can always sculpt a simple mannequin there with the proportions you need and use it quick ref to measure things in the illustration.
Gliger:oh I know measuring in heads is'nt wrong, god knows it's helped me out enough lol, I was just saying that when it's a pose that can't be measured in heads it makes it a hell of alot more harder for me.

Eduardo:Cheers dude, tbh I have'nt used sculptris since that head I did, it was fun and I plan to do more sometime but i'm trying to put all my effort into getting better at painting atm, I did need ref for the proportions though so I used one here, think I might've overshot it a bit though here but I think it still works fine from the looks of it.

Did another painting of Rin for Istebraks realistic Anime tutorial, this was  actually really fun to do, it has problems such as the hair but I think thats more problems I have painting hair in general over applying it to anime.
[attachment=69694]
[attachment=69695]
finished the spooky skull study, I was gonna add the ear to it but I did'nt think it was neccesary, I might try painting all of the muscles over it at some point though so i'm gonna keep the file till then.
[attachment=69696]
Okay, finally think the proportions are lookin okay, does anyone know of any good tutorials on detail and rendering though? I think alot of my stuff looks basic and I kinda feel I need it here, not to overly detail it, all detail on the buildings i'll blur a bit so it does'nt become prominent but as it is I think the buildings look too basic, also need to add some long grass to the foreground.
[attachment=69697]
better now dude, proportions seem alright to me. Now the only thing preventing the BB dude from looking all natural is the clothing. Just take a look at how those badass long coats wrap around the body in photos and movies, like westerns :D

And Rin... right in the kokoro dude. Now i want to make anoter Rin fanart myself.

About anime hair, take this with a grain of salt since i'm not particularly great at hair but, from what i've observed. Most artists do the anime hair like if they were sculpting pvc or resine figurines, and then add "texture" to the structure, like this guy does for example:

http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=388730

Just block in the general shape of the hair, like you were sculpting then add the texture to make it look like hair and not some plastic structure over her head.
Cheers mate!
Nice skull, love the smooth rendering, the eyes however seem a bit big, only reason I point it out cause I tried the same exact thing and it makes me wonder how do our eyes fit into such huge holes? I may have to look at my medical books for an a realistic representation lol

Rin's pretty coo' ... never finished her story, anyway be careful with the body proportions, her shoulder's look a bit too broad, with grills you want a small upper half and a wider lower half vice versa for guys.

Lastly the bloodbourne painting is cool in concept, but the lighting does not really line up. If the only source of lighting is the big thing in the middle (which I assume is the moon but I haven't played the game yet), you would get more of a back lighting effect, also it could use more contrast to better distinguish depth and your focal points.

As for the rendering, I'd recommend material studies, you'd be amazed by how much you can change the feel of an object based on how you paint the highlights. That's the best advice I have for ya haha hope it helps!
Eduardo:Yeah I should try painting the other katawa characters at some point but rin is really fun to paint for some reason. yeah clothing looks a bit stiff now, I think all the lasso tooling messed it up a bit, I accidently moved most of the piece to the same layer which makes it more difficult :/.
Yeah i'm terrible at hair as well XD, it seems painting it in anime is generally the same as regular hair painting, just  blocking it in then working from large to small.

Mylqin:Yeah you nailed it about the skull XD, it's so weird how small the eyes are in comparison to the socket.
About the rin piece, I kinda rushed the lower half of the body as I had no intention of painting that part, it'd also been a while since i'd done linework so it was frustrating the hell out of me just trying to get the lines down, honestly I probbly should've just cut off most of the bottom half and just painted the head and shoulders instead, would've saved alot of time and frustration XD.
yeah it's the moon, the bloodborne piece's lighting is confusing me a bit, as most of it is in shadow i'm finding it hard to figure out what should be the darkest to lightest of them shadows, I figure there'd be some bounce light from the moon as well though, and yep needs more contrast.
Yeah i've wanted to do material studies for a while but did'nt know how to aproach them, I feel these ones are pretty bad but i've given them a shot atleast, i'll try to do more of them.

Not much to show aside from this, been away looking after a freinds house for a few days, also my tablet broke :/ luckily I remembered I had a spare one though so thank god it's fine because I cannot afford a new one atm.

I might retry these painting them by hand without using textures, kinda just added the lighting and put the texture on top, though that last one did teach me a bit about using smart objects which should be helpful at some point, did'nt really feel like I learned much from them though. if the writing is too small it's leather, skin then cloth.
[attachment=69942]
Quick update

just random anatomy stuff and a portrait I did for a friends dnd character.
[attachment=70966]
[attachment=70967]
[attachment=70968]
Little tribute I did for Mr Iwata, I used to watch most of the nintendo directs and his death was shockin as hell to me, still sinkin in that we won't see him again. I disagreed with some of the choices he made as president but for the most part he was a genius and he had a ton of fun with what he did and it was fun to watch because of it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21