Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: The Sketchy Sketchbook of ....Sketchyness!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
Hey there!

I did a really quick overpainting, if you don't mind. See if you can get something out of it.
Also, Helsing is awesome. :)

Cheers and rock on.
hey cheers man, I was actually just about to ask for some help with this when you posted that :)
I changed a few things based on your paintover, decided not to change the eyes though I feel I could get the expression down better with this.

[attachment=63426]
Hey again guys, just ordered a new scanner wire(turns out it was the wire that was busted) so expect a massive dump of work in the next few days.

Anyway more work on this, finding colouring it to be a good challenge, trying to limit myself to a range of only red to orange colours for the whole piece. Also them little pieces in the dust above his head are embers(not brain bits as one of my friends thought XD), anyone know a good way of making them stand out more?
[attachment=63715]
YAY! Forums are back up again.
got a new printer wire so i'll scan my physical drawings in when I have the time, anyway feel i've taken this as far as I can, not perfect but all things considered i'm pretty proud of how it turned out, definietly one of the hardest paintings i've attempted.
[attachment=63872]
Was wrong about the printer it's completely and utterly fucked XD.
some quick anatomy drawings I did while listening to an anthony Jones tutorial.
[attachment=64150]
and started on this again, think I need to get some more ref for this, still having trouble with the posing and anatomy.
[attachment=64152]
[attachment=64151]
quick update,
Having a lot of trouble trying to get the faces and expression look how I want them to, think i'm getting there though.
[attachment=64435]
And some proko spine drawing assignments.
[attachment=64436]
[attachment=64437]
Update on the w.i.p more spines and a quick 1.5 speedpaint I did in MariusJ's stream, the topic we had to go on was summoning.
Dude yeah! its really good seeing you improving again and again thanks to that Katawa shoujo piece. You are really close to get the proportions perfect.
As a last resort, like i told you in another post, pose the very same scene en in daz studio or poser and export the image in a jpg, then overlap the jpg with transparency over your picture, see your mistakes, correct them.
Posing characters the exact way you want is kind of tedious but its not really hard to do and it will really pay off.

In Daz studio you even have sliders to make the models more or less muscular/mature so you can make them look more like teenagers.

Whatever you do, keep going, you are almost there.

Apart from the proportions, the clothing needs ref too, though some parts are already looking good, like Hisao pants or Rin's shirt sleeves.

Overall i really like where this is going, you captured the expressions and the mood of that scene nicely, the only thing left is to gather as much ref as possible to get the anatomy right.

Keep pushing mate!
Thanks man, I already have gotten quite a bit of ref for this,(apparently not enough it seems XD).

As for DAZ, i've been messin around with it and trying to make the pose for a while now actually, oddly enough I can't seem to pose Hisao's arm right in that it simply won't move that far which is weird, i've done the pose myself so I know it's possible,
I might just skip it and just do the rest of the pose if it comes down to it i've already took my own ref for the arm. Oh and thanks for the heads up on the sliders, have'nt found them yet but that sounds really useful.
it's annoying as hell I purposely waited a week after workin on the lineart to check for proportion issues, and now i've only started noticing them after starting work on the values XD makes messin around with it more difficult.

Changed a few things here and there such as the arm placement on the guy and the pelvis and legs on the girl which still looks off to me, i'm fairly happy with the guy atm, think his upper right arm is lookin a bit long but I think that'll be a quick fix.
The girl though i'm gonna try and dig up some more ref before I continue(as said the proportions and placement are weird XD).
[attachment=64728]

some imagination figures I did for fun, some of these were without ref, others not so much(such as the woman with the broken spine XD)
[attachment=64729]

another speedpaint, topic was passion and somehow we were talkin about zombies beforehand so my odd mind somehow came up with the idea of a zombie artist painting a vampire biting someone XD.
[attachment=64731]

and a observational drawing, this came out weirdly better when I was more loose with it starting off with gesture and construction, think it's more accurate.
[attachment=64730]
Quick update, also a quick try at 3D in sculptris based on a tutorial, I actually really enjoyed this and I think i'm gonna try and get good at it, plus being able to build something in 3d would help my 2d stuff alot as well, gonna try this again from scratch now that I understand the program a bit more.
Also arms....lots and lots and lots and lots of arms XD, think i'm gettin pretty good at this though, I understand where most of the muscles are atleast and I think i'm doing a fairly decent job at replicating it from imagination, even on the forearm, if you can figure out where the bones are and if they are twisting around eachother then it becomes alot easier to place the muscles over top.
Sorry for the lack of updates, been having nonstop problems with my pc lately.

Value study of Gene Hunt from Life on mars.
[attachment=65307][attachment=65308]
[attachment=65306]
Update on Rin piece, i've added a bit more to it since I saved this, think i'm gonna start on colour soon, i've been workin on this for over a month and while it's defineitly not perfect i'm happy enough with it to finish it.
[attachment=65305]
and some sketches from bobby chiu's stream, he's putting out these warmup challenges where you draw completely from your imagination over a very light base drawing.
[attachment=65309]
hey everyone.

Quick update, got some bridgman studies here, some imagination ones and life drawing from the mirror...my neck and arms hate me now XD.

Also started colouring the Rin peice, there's a few little anatomy things i've noticed that I need to fix up and I think the colours lookin a bit too desaturated in places but aside from that I think i'm on the right track with it, and also a little experiment with gestures.
Another update!

More chiustream sketches, these are actually really damn fun, I have a big problem with drawing from imagination, I find it hard to get out of that study study mode and even then I find it really hard to let go of using reference or even coming up with ideas so this aproach has been very helpful.
[attachment=65714]
[attachment=65715]
And more work on this...honestly just trying to finish this now, it's far from perfect but i've spent waay to much time on it, i'm mainly just trying to sort out the guys face can't get it lookin even decent especially the mouth which looks like he's had a lipjob XD, I don't think it's as noticeable here since it's a smaller copy though.
Also whatever I do next i'm gonna try and get it done faster and severely limit my values, I tried to do that somewhat here but I think I went out of control with them here as well, I think stylizing it more here would've worked to it's advantage actually.
Think i'm going overboard with the values and I think it's one of the reasons why I spent so much time painting this(about two months or so of painting now, most days). Anyway rant over XD, just venting.
[attachment=65716]
Hey everyone, small update of just random studies and stuff, I put that piece up for critique so i'm gonna continue it once it has been, in the meantime I think i'm gonna try doing another portrait or something, not sure i'm gonna try and get it done quicker then this peice though.

Recently read Istebrak's new book and decided i'm gonna try and put more effort into studying the figure as a whole(which i'm very clearly not that good at as seen here XD).
Trying to primarily draw in pen as well so i'm thinkin about my line quality more, I usually tend to do alot of erasing when I draw so i'm hopin I can get better with my linework by doing this.

Also I found a figure drawing session nearby!, sadly it's a one time thing not a reocurring one like i'm trying to find but it's better then nothing, if I can, i'll upload the drawings from that.

[attachment=65807]
[attachment=65808]
[attachment=65809]
[attachment=65810]
Another update, trying to focus on Skintones for a few days
[attachment=66441]
[attachment=66442]

first real try at sculptris, this took me a while to finish.
[attachment=66443][attachment=66444]

[attachment=66445][attachment=66446]
Tried a different method for painting skin here, think I got more variety in the skintones but i think the last ones might've come out slightly better in other aspects.
[attachment=66475]
Solid work here. Nice improvements. You might already be doing this, but make sure you're directly applying your rib cage / head studies by drawing them underneath your imaginative stuff too.
Really nice improvements can be seen here, keep nailing down that anatomy stuff, especialy take care of the proportions !

Keep it up ! : )
CoreyH:Thanks man, generally I do that but the skintone studies I was trying to do straight from painting rather then drawin some lineart underneath as construction underneath so they might look a bit formless due to it, trying to get better at sculpting the figure out straight away like that.

ShinOkami:Cheers dude, Yeah proportions...not my strongest focus, I seem to either jump back and forth from no measuring or to much measuring xD.

Few Figure drawing studies, trying to nail down figure drawing before I get back into anatomy.

First 4 pages are un-timed gestures some of which I did from imagination and the other one is figure studies done with circular forms.
Sorry for the quality, using a A3 sketchbook atm so I can't use a scanner.
[attachment=66741]
[attachment=66740]
[attachment=66739]
[attachment=66738]
[attachment=66737]
Quick update, was hoping to have drawn more but my arm has been killin me.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21