Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Darktiste Sketchbook
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Definitely leaning more towards the bottom color, tho it's close between that and the third option, pretty much how i'd imagine an infernal throwing axe to look.
(09-16-2023, 11:07 AM)calebartist Wrote: [ -> ]Definitely leaning more towards the bottom color, tho it's close between that and the third option, pretty much how i'd imagine an infernal throwing axe to look.

Thank for passing by will take your imput into the final tie breaking decision.
Sadly i miss the start of swordtember just being absent minded like i am... so anyways let skip that part i am getting bored.

I did the 18 day prompt which was ''Ghoul''

Anyways i just want to do it because i did swordtember in 2022 but i want to try ''beat my other participation'' i think i did like 4 sword on the last swordtember so i think it would be a ''fail'' if i can't do atleast double that number.

Maybe i will do a side by side comparison just to see what 1 years as done to my work once the month end.

I will probably skip a few day because i still have other project i don't want to leave in the dust and should have finish a long time ago.

The good thing is i been away for a few day recently recharging my energy outside of civilisation and my drawing juice as refill in that small window.

Sadly with a step back i realize how little i seem to have done in term of art producing art in the last years... but let not put water on my fire i still learn to stream line my 2d to 3d process to include blender if the project could benefit from it and the big thing this years was learning more about the role of Ai could play in the art world and experimenting with it as not to be ''hard to change''which is definitively something i think was worth all the "fooling around'' which i think is important after almost a decade of drawing.
I try to change the format this time i wasn't happy with the previous swordtember entry size.

So the prompt for this sword was Star

This one use ''Ai bashing'' basically a frankstein of a few image and i add a certain % of original content i use adobe illustrator and photoshop and sketchbook pro in this one in particular.

I really think that more argular and less organic work seem more logical to start in sketchbook for the initial idea but that sketchbook just doesn't offer me what i want when it time to do complex symmetry the way i feel is most natural and none destructive.I still got to play around a little more with that trio specially in illustrator to make the coloring stage alot faster.Ultimately i might end up only needing two maybe three program once i perfect what i have in mind.

Hope you enjoy.
This one was a long one just to many layers and wasting time relearning some tool i thought i had master on both Illustator and photoshop.

This one is day 25 base on the word:Inquistor

Here a short description:This one is a fan art of warhammer 40 000 it a chainsaw blade it feature a winged skull with wing under decorative border near the teeth of the chainsawe blade there is a repeating leaf pattern in the middle of the blade there is a scroll inscribed with the word exterminus written in latin.

I wish i had more time to do more rendering on this one but at the rate of how thing are going i won't reach my goal so i am just move on and do a new sword and see if i can do 3 more but i doubt it.
The sword image looks great, very powerful image with great design and color choices.

Loving the design of your latest post as well, great use of line weight and another kick-ass design, very well done!
(10-01-2023, 03:14 PM)cgmythology Wrote: [ -> ]The sword image looks great, very powerful image with great design and color choices.

Loving the design of your latest post as well, great use of line weight and another kick-ass design, very well done!

I rarely ever gave the love line deserve i am to tired by that point in general.I actually would say i have the same thickness line syndrome.Due to my carpal tunnel i try to keep my process pretty straight foward no redrawing and trying to avoid erasing.That why i use lock layers and mask to work as much none destructively as possible the lock layers help to stay inside the line so i don't have to do clean up and the mask help give me confidence that i can go back if necessary.

I got one last sword from the swordtember to finish so i can resume my other project... the swordtember kinda shown me i shouldn't do so many project at the same time at best one or two.The problem is when you get burn out of two project at the same time...

This swordtember is a fail for me as far as achieving a higher number of sword but i think the sword as more complex then previous years so that might explain why i didn't achieve as much as i would.
Just a quick update this is my last sword for this swordtember.

The word of that day was Druid.

This one is only flat color because as i said previously i have a few other project i want closure with and september is over so it doesn't feel right to keep working on project that should normally probably be done in 1 day it also Inktober so i might take it as an opportunity to really go heavy on the line weight  and i might also crack up the amount of detail just because i won't have to render with color and it going to be a good opportunity to work in black in white.
So i did not feel like it was the right time to go back to my old project and decided why not participate in inktober since i am on a streak of random daily challenge and the day i started was about the word Map so me who never doing thing simply i decided why not make a map inspired by one of my first introduction to a world i knew had map so natural lfor me WARHAMMER came to mind so since i was first introduce to Warhammer by a friend who was a ork player i decided to simplify my first attempt in the realm of map drawing giving my own twist to a pre existing map.

So i now present to you the Badlands you can find a few  interesting road(small dot trail) and trade route (line breaking).You can also different environnement and tribe symbol you can even see some other race  such as the dwarf represented by an anvil with a rune.

Most of the creative liberty was in creating and adapting a few of the tribe iconography choosing a nice font and re interpreting the visual style to be a little more manable for time sake .So i learn a bit about lettering (i am not good with word so it hate normally it but since i didn't have to invent anything new it was necessary that i had letter or else the end product would look alot less like a useful map and more like the result of a illiterate cartographer). 

I can say that even those this is not as creative as making a completely original work it humble me and force me to admire people who do this without digital mean i can't tell you how many line there is in this picture but those mountain have push me to the brink of insanity in some unexplaining therapeutical ways.

I would have been done earlier but i had some minor health issue to be more specific a stiff neck after turning to much in my sleep(it not easy aging you sleep wrong and you gotta deal with a 3 day stiff neck happily for me i had some modern medecine to deal with the issue) i am no longer ''enjoying'' a stiff neck which mean i can now go full speed a head for the rest of the inktober and i can finally regain some sanity with my new project.

Click on the map if you really want to enjoy the amount of work that was put into this.
A fan art base on the day 14 of inktober which in this case was castle.This a collage of a few comic strip into a single one from the comic Game over by Midam.Were little hero in is usual quest to beat the level and save the princess. As he approch what he thought was the princess turn out to be a horrible mimic mascarading as the princess in it fright were hero loose is club.

Game over.

Do you want to continue...
On day 20th the prompt was Frost so i decided to do a tribute to one of my favorite league of legends character (fun fact she use to be one of my first main) Ashe the frost archer in a classical fashion i made a reskin as i would call it (taking the design and playin around with it)e.I wanted to do something that was truely something i could called a black and white so i added a bit more black then i probably should have to get the froze theme across but i think the fur was strong enought that we would get the idea she wasn't some kind of scorshing desert nomad.

For day  22th the word was Scratchy so for me something came foward pretty quickly brainstorming . This one was an other tribute this time to the simpson more specifically Itchy and Scratchy show. That embody the ultra violent era of cartoon. In this tribute i decided i want to do something with bone because it halloween season so i thought of what kind of misadventure Scratchy the cat(the victim)  would experience and since this season is about weather and spooky vibe i must have imagine something like a dark spooky night where lightning run across the sky obviously i didn't miss the opportunity to watch a few episode to get my ''sadist'' idea in place.

So naturally he get electrocuted.

This will conclude this inktober i want to resume my dusty project and move on to more exiting thing to end this years.
Loving the linework of your Legends character, very cleaned, bold, and professional looking. Well done!
(10-28-2023, 09:44 PM)cgmythology Wrote: [ -> ]Loving the linework of your Legends character, very cleaned, bold, and professional looking.  Well done!

Thank kinda stiff i would say with the step back i would like to do a bit more gestural drawing but i am more into designing than anatomy and all that jazz.Even if it clean i think can still get a bit more line weight into those drawing it just hard thinking it worth to go the extra mile when it come to design knowing it not necessarly portfolio material and for actual real life project.
Yeah I understand, but they work well in terms of design which is what you were going for. Keep up the great work!
So maybe some of you been lurking and seen my hour glass project i was  having trouble with my metal texture on the bottom it didn't felt like i was getting the right result but then it strike me that i was not accounting enough what was going on in my background i think it had something to do with my layers stack where one layers was turn off and my background was a lighter grey in the background color was different between the ''working version'' and what was a darker final background i couldn't quiet figure out why the metal was looking wrong because i came back to it after a while.Anyways i want to turn the page on this project because i need closure on my dusty old project i been saying i would been done by now and been dealing with massive side tracking since because i saw opportunity to have fun and challenge myself with random project from what is like 2 month now doing swordtember and inktober which were a nice way to do quicker project and gave me the opportunity to realize how much i try to push thing to the end with an obession to render that is just an habit that doesn't always serve me best.Sometime you just trying to get better at doing thing quicker or getting better at applying good design that it procrastination to render something at a point it pushing around pixel and you don't want to be doing that because this isn't professional it a ''comfort zone''

So i really want to be able to focus more on design i think i said that already but be ready for more grey and lower quality of finish now it about solving visual problem and expanding my visual library i want to leave the pretty drawing for portfolio stuff.At the same time i realize that those pretty drawing are still essential as i really been trying to put together a portfolio but been pretty unsuccessful to gain the direction and identity i want for my portfolio i am falling into pattern of frustration sometime look at project that just can't seem to end and i tried to do multiple project to see if it would help refresh my interest in those project but it seem i am better at starting thing then finishing them which is great for idea generating but not so much when you try to put a porfolio together.

Anyways i am talking to much here how it look now.
niiice we love to see a three quarter view. I think the materials could read better with just having them react to the light a little more naturally. A metal disk with facets wouldn't be shaded soft like a cookie, it would have hard reflections on each face. Similarly the glass would have a hard specular reflecting the light source. the way you've shaded it makes it seem like rough glass, or frosted glass. The harder the reflections on objects, the shinier they look. Even in stylized work, that's just how it works.
I agree with JosephCow, I think the image can be more convincing with those improvements made. The object itself is well drawn as well, great design work as always!
(11-16-2023, 11:45 AM)JosephCow Wrote: [ -> ]niiice we love to see a three quarter view. I think the materials could read better with just having them react to the light a little more naturally. A metal disk with facets wouldn't be shaded soft like a cookie, it would have hard reflections on each face. Similarly the glass would have a hard specular reflecting the light source. the way you've shaded it makes it seem like rough glass, or frosted glass. The harder the reflections on objects, the shinier they look. Even in stylized work, that's just how it works.

It seem that sometime i hit or miss those metallic texture i remember you commenting my cauldron a while back.I think i will have to up the number of metallic object to get better result more often and maybe i am painting to zoom in and loose the bigger picture .The problem is that some metal do have that soft gradient but it case specific and it a question of practice and observing material under different condition that really help you nail it more then miss.

As you can see i have done a few stylize attempt a metallic surface.(Those are some of the most sucessful one aswell of a few one i struggle with)

My observation is that it much easier to make something look metallic when it shiny but when it dull you really need to kick up amount of detail in the texture.Scratch and bumb etc...
So i kept fighting over this one because i think it important to try to not only fix mistake but also keep practing.

I tried to look if it could be fix with texture alone but i feel the suface still read to flat for the shininess level which seem it look more like like a older metal then what i have in mind it should read more like the the loop or the metallic frame but i don't know how to do this effect in a circular fashion maybe if i use a very big brush i will try that next with some flow in it...

I also play with the glass because the light doesn't only hit one side of the glass but also the interor and i added a bit of reflected light on the interior side of the frame.
Yay, that's somewhat better! Good call on the glass, it should indeed have light reflecting right through it.

Yeah metal can definitely have smooth gradient, especially if it's rougher. But in this case the base of the hourglass has faces cut into it, so like each plane would reflect a slightly different amount of light.

With the couldron example from a while ago I think I was trying to show how there are lots of different textures and types of metal, but the material does reflect the environment regardless. It's just how much the reflection is diffused by roughness, or little bumps in the surface. If you think of something that is as smooth and polished as possible, it's gonna be a mirror, right? And then something as rough as possible will just be matte. Since you've done more Blender than I have I'm sure you've seen this playing with the materials. Like if you change the roughness slider it makes it looks polished or unpolished just from the light reflection. So how that relates to the base is that if it's supposed to be new, pretty smooth metal, the reflection of the light should actually be smaller, like only a few faces would actually be at the right angle to make a highlight. Just like on a mirror, there's only one place where you can see the light bulb lighting the room, everything on the surface is just some part of the room.

A lot of your metal studies do look good. Like the gold objects one really does look like gold. But idk if they take this into account that much either.

I will try and see if I can show or make any visual examples