Zeker's Sketchbook
Hello, I just joined here not too long ago. I couldn't quite find many places that had dedicated groups of people who wanted to improve altogether. I am still a student in training and I will be working myself up so that I can become a professional.

Since this is the first thread, I'm just going to post some of the works to show where I am currently at. 

[Image: D2HGkt0VAAEFdAj?format=jpg&name=large]

[Image: DynGr3lV4AEyY0d?format=jpg&name=large]

[Image: DynGtzRUcAExe2j?format=jpg&name=large]

[Image: DynGuivU8AIyOeF?format=jpg&name=4096x4096]

[Image: DynGvFEUUAENAoW?format=jpg&name=large]

[Image: DvvsFbsU0AAe9Nk?format=jpg&name=4096x4096]

[Image: Du3FKkDVAAUETAt?format=jpg&name=4096x4096]

[Image: Qc92PU4.jpg]
[Image: dV4vCoL.jpg]

These are not entirely in the right order but you get the idea. 

I will post more in the upcoming future, and they're probably be more about studies rather than stuff like this.
I've been kind of stuck with figuring out how I'd go about making color comps for this.

Just gonna post some progress here anyway

[Image: hq28waE.jpg]
All of your stuff looks really good! Such nice lighting and form!

Idk but for me it number 6 it the one with the most read to me if you want to put the emphasis on the character the other 5 just feel like they blend into there environnement.I would just probably decrease the read of the lower body as it not necessarly where you want the eye to go... and i think it would help to move the character forward if you see what i mean.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
(07-09-2019, 12:50 AM)JosephCow Wrote: All of your stuff looks really good! Such nice lighting and form!

Ah, thank you!

I'm still trying to train myself until I can just paint more reliably.
(07-09-2019, 01:00 AM)darktiste Wrote: Idk but for me it number 6 it the one with the most read to me if you want to put the emphasis on the character the other 5 just feel like they blend into there environnement.I would just probably decrease the read of the lower body as it not necessarly where you want the eye to go... and i think it would help to move the character forward if you see what i mean.

Yeah, I did try to attempt to get a fade out with the lower half from the black and white versions of these, but I guess that didn't quite translate into color. I'll try to get a fix with some of them that I feel have a better chance than the others. 

Though I'm still not sure if it would be a value problem or a hue/saturation problem. I'll just test things out until I get an answer.
More work in progress stuff for this project

[Image: daxEajg.jpg]

Going with concept 4 from the top. Trying to expand upon the thumbnail.

[Image: VixCUa6.jpg]

After refining the thumbnail I started to sculpt out the character with light. Still haven't really added any cast shadows, and the form shadows aren't quite done either. But I figured it'd be fun to upload the whole process while I'm at it. 

[Image: RcVaV9P.jpg]
[Image: D_H4REXUEAAtbJS?format=jpg&name=medium]

Just a sketch 

[Image: 51onoZg.jpg]

And a color study from today. Using gradient maps to get a black and white version of the objects as close to 
the photo as possible.
I've been constantly chipping away at this piece. Hopefully I can get it finished soon

[Image: 2tgzQOz.png]

[Image: OmWOtWl.jpg]

[Image: HdimkIv.jpg]
[Image: xIhC409.jpg]

Still unfinished, more towards rendering this badboy
Finally finished this painting

Took me a while, but I finally got it done.

[Image: D__3saaUwAA5b0Y?format=jpg&name=4096x4096]

Critiques are welcome
and I'll be ready to improve.
i think this piece came out fantastic zeker! you have a great sense of control over your brush work and a nice style too.

for critique, i have a hard time reading this as underwater because of how clean the background is and there doesn't seem to be light rays coming down from the surface. adding some debris, more bubbles, and tweaking some things could be a way to remedy that.

compositionally, you could probably space out the creatures and items in the piece to establish more depth with the figure. they all seem to be hovering around the foreground.

(07-28-2019, 05:20 AM)DESQUOLOR Wrote: i think this piece came out fantastic zeker! you have a great sense of control over your brush work and a nice style too.

for critique, i have a hard time reading this as underwater because of how clean the background is and there doesn't seem to be light rays coming down from the surface. adding some debris, more bubbles, and tweaking some things could be a way to remedy that.

compositionally, you could probably space out the creatures and items in the piece to establish more depth with the figure. they all seem to be hovering around the foreground.

Dang, I thought the bubbles that I added near the underwater pit might have read more, but I guess I wasn't quite able to translate that. Also, I figured that atmospheric perspective underwater (which I'm not quite sure of the name of the effect) should have given that effect but I could have exaggerated the spacing more rather than just the values/colors. 

Alrighty, thank you for the critique!
Recently I have been working on more of my color viewing skills

These are the studies I've been doing. Anything labelled recolor are ones that were recolored from black and white only using various layer modes. 

Anything labelled recolor paint are ones that tried to capture blocks of colors sans the gradients. 

The top images are references, while the bottom ones are my attempts. (with a few exceptions)

[Image: BS3Brvr.jpg]
(top is recolored 7/17/19)

[Image: ImXT6OY.jpg]
(top is recolored 7/22/19)

[Image: ZRHM7Cc.jpg]
(recolor paint 7/22/19)

[Image: l0zs9UT.jpg]
(recolor paint fix 7/24/19)

[Image: bF2jj0w.jpg]
(7/24/19 recolor paint)

[Image: D9yCw7h.jpg]
(7/25/19 recolor paint fix)

[Image: IV9Naos.jpg]
(7/25/19 recolor)

[Image: eV2wj6Y.jpg]
(7/25/19 recolor paint)

[Image: iqHV4Rt.jpg]
(7/28/19 recolor paint)

[Image: NSWbko2.jpg]
(7/28/19 recolor paint)

[Image: ynOjbOx.jpg]
(7/29/19 recolor paint fix)

[Image: PU1ySP5.jpg](7/28/19 recolor)

[Image: pmvtjaa.jpg]
7/29/19 recolor

[Image: 8PNnBoG.jpg]
7/30/19 recolor
Seem like you could utilize the lock shape function a lot more to get better gradient and the polygonal lasso to correct your edge.For color i recommend you try to desaturate your color there bit to light.You also seem to have trouble estimating value change on those half cut pyramid.So i recommend to simply use the image you had go to option and turn them into greyscale and recopy them but this time in greyscale.Late thing is to pay more attention to your edge but i guess that what not the goal of the exercise.

My Sketchbook
Back again at posting.

I may be slow at making these but I've managed to cut off time while doing more of them.

[Image: zbTILyY.jpg]
08/01/19

[Image: jGeIlE2.jpg]
08/02/19

[Image: ZCLREJ2.jpg]
08/03/19

[Image: vx3uWFs.jpg]
08/04/19 

[Image: BH3y6mq.jpg]

08/06/19 (a fixed version of the first one at 08/01/19)
Careful you used some hard edge brush when you should have use a soft on that hexagone because it as rounded edge not sharp one.Also those cube have a softer edge then what you indicated the same error on the cut pyramid.Your value are somewhat correct but there issue in the cylinder and the cut pyramid.So once again my comment are more heavy on the issue of edge than the issue of color if you want to really train your color eye you should go for piece with large range of color with more tint of the same color atm i think your playing safe in the color department with the quality of work i seen it surprising to see this level of simplicity in the study but i am also a fan of simple fundamental with great execution.One late advise since i think you used the lasso for the edge don't use them for anything else but to define straight edge if you use the polygonal lasso it will leave a trail of pixel specially apparent on a white surface just like on that cylinder.

My Sketchbook
I've been doing more of these but I haven't been posting them

I thought of posting the old stuff first but I guess they might get in the way

Here are some recent anatomy studies
[Image: U3epoo6.jpg]

[Image: cjv7yC5.jpg]

[Image: Lf8suyy.jpg]
[Image: 8tyYXaI.jpg]

[Image: EKSYtvc.jpg]

[Image: 6TY6Bz6.jpg]

[Image: e3ZzsVh.jpg]

[Image: ec5ao3r.jpg]

Trying to refine more with the torso anatomy. There are plenty of missing muscles on the torso, but I'm just trying to get more of the anatomy to look right.
nice exercises! i wanna see you apply them afterwards bro! :)