Zodd Sketchbook
Finished this fanart of Miyamoto Musashi from Vagabond, got feedbacks about the drapery, i need to practice this more and more!!!

Here my version with a play on the background only for comparaison just to show how the background support the subject.It not much but i find it alway better than a flat background that certain to as it say flatten the image.Any reason for no blending and no edge work?I think you should go an adventure to compare soft edge versus sharp edge you would get new bit of knowledge to inject into your work but i think you were kinda naturally going toward that direction from the comment i have seen in here anyway.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
(07-21-2019, 10:05 PM)darktiste Wrote: Here my version with a play on the background only for comparaison just to show how the background support the subject.It not much but i find it alway better than a flat background that certain to as it say flatten the image.Any reason for no blending and no edge work?I think you should go an adventure to compare soft edge versus sharp edge you would get new bit of knowledge to inject into your work but i think you were kinda naturally going toward that direction from the comment i have seen in here anyway.
Sure I will, for now I'm testing a graphical way to draw shapes xD
(07-21-2019, 10:05 PM)darktiste Wrote: Here my version with a play on the background only for comparaison just to show how the background support the subject.It not much but i find it alway better than a flat background that certain to as it say flatten the image.Any reason for no blending and no edge work?I think you should go an adventure to compare soft edge versus sharp edge you would get new bit of knowledge to inject into your work but i think you were kinda naturally going toward that direction from the comment i have seen in here anyway.
Theres lost edges on the character, if I put a gradient on the background its gonna lose the sense I think
Started sketching a new illustration today

Fail

"My last breath" - Finished this one, now to the next x)

The cast shadow on the shield could be improve the edge should be hard at the bottom but should become more soft as it goes up.I recommend you practice edge by creating a bunch of form they don't have to be to complex you can stick with basic form like box,pyramid,cylinder and sphere just play with the cast shadow.To help you it recommend it highly recommend you draw from life take object you have in your house and create a small live study by overlapping a few object so that one object cast a shadow onto the next.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
(07-24-2019, 12:56 PM)darktiste Wrote: The cast shadow on the shield could be improve the edge should be hard at the bottom but should become more soft as it goes up.I recommend you practice edge by creating a bunch of form they don't have to be to complex you can stick with basic form like box,pyramid,cylinder and sphere just play with the cast shadow.To help you it recommend it highly recommend you draw from life take object you have in your house and create a small live study by overlapping a few object so that one object cast a shadow onto the next.
The edges of cast shadow are harder in direct sunlight because of the parallel direction of light photons, it just get softer on large or diffuse type of light
(07-24-2019, 12:56 PM)darktiste Wrote: The cast shadow on the shield could be improve the edge should be hard at the bottom but should become more soft as it goes up.I recommend you practice edge by creating a bunch of form they don't have to be to complex you can stick with basic form like box,pyramid,cylinder and sphere just play with the cast shadow.To help you it recommend it highly recommend you draw from life take object you have in your house and create a small live study by overlapping a few object so that one object cast a shadow onto the next.
My reference

Yea i have observed that light from lamp and the sun doent seem to behave the same but now that you remind me i see i was mistaken.I think it as to do with how close we are to the ground compare to how far the sun is.Since we are really small and therefor really close to the ground in comparaison to the light source the shadow appear really sharp i wonder how the shadow of a plane would look like.

My Sketchbook
Wip

Finished this

cool shapes

Changed a little bit

I think you could work for more texture just to separate the element and add more side light to bring out the character.Also right now the viewer cannot understand where the light on is back come from.

My Sketchbook
Exploring colors temperature and unity in abstract way

Crazy quick color experiment:

Trying to capture the essence of the compositions from Vermeer, Sargent and Edgar Degas

I think your doing a pretty good job if i am not wrong i know i had myself trouble in the value department but they seem to be driving the focal point and respecting the value establish in the original.I think it just important you try to alternate the study with application.I would also recommend you do some 5 tone simplification.You can also try to a full grayscale masterstudy with blending to learn more about edge and blending.I recommend you to give yourself a goal concerning one fundamental you want to improve for each session so as to not just copy for the sake of copying.

My Sketchbook
(07-30-2019, 05:51 PM)darktiste Wrote: I think your doing a pretty good job if i am not wrong i know i had myself trouble in the value department but they seem to be driving the focal point and respecting the value establish in the original.I think it just important you try to alternate the study with application.I would also recommend you do some 5 tone simplification.You can also try to a full grayscale masterstudy with blending to learn more about edge and blending.I recommend you to give yourself a goal concerning one fundamental you want to improve for each session so as to not just copy for the sake of copying.
I'm not copying just for the sake of copying, when i copy i have a goal in mind, everyone have their own approach to learn x)