Rognoll's Sketchbook
[Image: gesture_drawing_by_dadapan-d6a5ulp.png?1]

[Image: more_gesture_drawing_by_dadapan-d6a5uz2.png]
grsture drawings

You've started off good, then you've improved great.
When you draw a portrait from memory, watch for the proportions of the face. Also, watch for the structure and evenness.
I love your gesture and figure drawings.

Keep it up, love.
Noted! :) thanks a lot for the advices! And thanks for the compliments too!

Keep doing that, it's great

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
-Lao Tzu

Blog | Sketchbook | dA
Hey - I like your sketchbook so far. looks like each piece gets better as far as digital painting goes.
Your gesture sketches are becoming really fluid!

Sketchbook

Thanks a lot, people. I really appreciate your encouragement. Any general critique?

I'm gonna try not to upload crappy studies all the time now, Those, I'll keep to myself .
I'm gonna upload wips and some sketches and stuff.

Character progress. What does it need?
[Image: girl_progress__not_finished_yet_by_dadapan-d6at5bl.png]

Quickpose.com Insane, ecstatic
[Image: moar_poses_by_dadapan-d6at60b.png]

Cool stuff. I love your consistency and frequency of posts. I think I can see where you're headed, and it looks like you're going somewhere awesome, so keep doing what you're doing and what you see in your head will eventually become reality :D
good job man keep it up!

try keeping your main light direction and intensity in mind at all times as you're shading your form.

the light seems to be from above and to the right of the picture but her right arm is really bright. also, her dagger is casting a shadow but her head is not casting a shadow on her neck.

try using only 2 or 3 values to model the form and check to see if it describes the lighting condition well.

if it doesn't at least you won't have to wrestle with too many details as you are correcting the values and forms :)

i really like the work you've done on her dress folds and belt!

just mah thoughts, i make the same errors too, so take whatever works away from it and keep doing what you're doing!

Attached Files Image(s)

Wow, thanks, guys!

Beeston, I hope so. I'm trying my best.

The pose of the girl's body and arm holding the dagger looks really gracefully curved. The armor and dagger design and detailing look really solid.

The arm over the fence might need a little work. Is she resting her ribcage against the fence? Or her armpit? Or elbow? You may want to try out the pose yourself to see what feels natural.

Overall, good work--keep plugging away!

Sketchbook

I also am working hard on fast sketches and it helps so also keep up this habit. good luck with future ones, keep posting!

Freelancer available for new commissions
---------
PORTFOLIO: http://www.LexPaul.com/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/llexpaul
Deviant art: http://alexandrescupaul.deviantart.com/
CrimsonD: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3360.html
(06-27-2013, 12:33 PM)anzhou Wrote: good job man keep it up!

try keeping your main light direction and intensity in mind at all times as you're shading your form.

the light seems to be from above and to the right of the picture but her right arm is really bright. also, her dagger is casting a shadow but her head is not casting a shadow on her neck.

try using only 2 or 3 values to model the form and check to see if it describes the lighting condition well.

if it doesn't at least you won't have to wrestle with too many details as you are correcting the values and forms :)

i really like the work you've done on her dress folds and belt!

just mah thoughts, i make the same errors too, so take whatever works away from it and keep doing what you're doing!

Wow! thanks a lot! Sorry, I have just seen that post Impressed
Anyway, thanks for taking your time, I'll put that into practice.

(06-27-2013, 05:09 PM)Tygerson Wrote: The pose of the girl's body and arm holding the dagger looks really gracefully curved. The armor and dagger design and detailing look really solid.

The arm over the fence might need a little work. Is she resting her ribcage against the fence? Or her armpit? Or elbow? You may want to try out the pose yourself to see what feels natural.

Overall, good work--keep plugging away!

Thanks! Yeah! actually, I have no idea how she's leaning. Gotta stop amking that mistake.

(06-27-2013, 05:33 PM)Lex_paul Wrote: I also am working hard on fast sketches and it helps so also keep up this habit. good luck with future ones, keep posting!

Yeah it helps! :D
BTW: Holy crap! Amazing gallery!

hey man, you're doing good so keeeep paintin'

This:
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/1...68wq1q.png
Looks and feels like you had a lot more fun creating this, as opposed to it's realistic counterpart. There is a real energy in it and it's probably my favourite piece because of it :)

Mmm a couple of things I'll say is firstly, good work, you've been working hard because goddamn you've improved a lot since your first post! Secondly I would say, try to create a good contrast between your blacks and whites. For example:

Just an idea... this paintover is far from perfect. I really only adjusted the curves and screwed up his face (sorry), but yeah I hope it helps :D

And thirdly, when it comes to still-life studies I would suggest tat you really try to take your time and like anything, observe what you're about to do. Observe the forms, observe the colours, but yeah, trust me - it'll help insanely :)

Keep up the good work, Rognoll!

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
(06-28-2013, 09:34 AM)smrrfette Wrote: This:
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/1...68wq1q.png
Looks and feels like you had a lot more fun creating this, as opposed to it's realistic counterpart. There is a real energy in it and it's probably my favourite piece because of it :)

Mmm a couple of things I'll say is firstly, good work, you've been working hard because goddamn you've improved a lot since your first post! Secondly I would say, try to create a good contrast between your blacks and whites. For example:

Just an idea... this paintover is far from perfect. I really only adjusted the curves and screwed up his face (sorry), but yeah I hope it helps :D

And thirdly, when it comes to still-life studies I would suggest tat you really try to take your time and like anything, observe what you're about to do. Observe the forms, observe the colours, but yeah, trust me - it'll help insanely :)

Keep up the good work, Rognoll!

Totally. I love that style way more, but it's inside my comfort zone and you don't learn much by sticking to what you know. I want to learn how to paint realistically too.
And yeah, I suck so badly at observing and still life! god!
Anyway, thanks for the advice! I tried to give more contrast to this last one, what do you think?

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement, people. Seriously, thanks.
[Image: astrid_by_dadapan-d6b00hg.png]

Crap. Forearm is extremely long

Thumbs Down 
(06-28-2013, 03:52 PM)Rognoll Wrote: Totally. I love that style way more, but it's inside my comfort zone and you don't learn much by sticking to what you know. I want to learn how to paint realistically too.
That's completely understandable and I feel the same way. Gotta understand the universal style that is realism before we can push and squeeze into our own unique style.
(06-28-2013, 03:52 PM)Rognoll Wrote: And yeah, I suck so badly at observing and still life! god!
No need to worry! If you keep pumping out more and more, in time, you'll become unstoppable!
But remember the most important thing with still-life studies is to apply what you learned from the objects straight away :D (though, that's with everything I guess :s)
(06-28-2013, 03:52 PM)Rognoll Wrote: Anyway, thanks for the advice! I tried to give more contrast to this last one, what do you think?
It's looking good, I can see you added contrast to her neck and arm?
Keep it up! You're a natural at painting! ^^
(06-28-2013, 03:52 PM)Rognoll Wrote: Crap. Forearm is extremely long
wahaha I got dat same problem. Dat anatomy studyin'
It's all good, the point is you saw that it was and therefore, you win! :D

Really, keep it up Rognoll
Your improvement is crrraaaazyy @_@

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
Thank you Smrfette! I rested this weekend because it was my birthday.
Now, for more sketches.

[Image: 1_by_dadapan-d6bq58h.png]

I desperately need to practice landscapes.

[Image: moar_poses_by_dadapan-d6bwzy9.png]

Took more than 2 minutes on a pose

[Image: sketchy_sketch_by_dadapan-d6c04s5.png]

Spent hours fixing the anatomy here, and I can't get it right!