Drawing is more important than painting
Norman Rockwell about drawing i read this once in a while to remind myself that, DRAWING IS SUPER IMPORTANT!!!111one

Probably the most important stage in Norman Rockwell's technique was the drawing stage. In this stage, subjects were drawn in great detail, going so far as to indicate differences in light and shade by filling in areas with varying values of grey. If you look closely at a Norman Rockwell painting, much of his pencil lines can be seen lurking below the paint. "I take the making of the charcoal layouts very seriously," Rockwell once remarked. "Too many novices. I believe, wait until they are on the canvas before trying to solve many of their problems. It is much better to wrestle with them ahead through studies." Knowing that the success of his covers and advertisements depended on the strength of his ideas, Rockwell struggled to develop engaging picture themes. With the emphasis on preliminary drawings this allowed Rockwell to produce strong illustrations for his commissions. His successes in commercial art and the advertising industry are a result of those drawing phases.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Drawing is more important than painting - by Hobitt - 11-01-2015, 08:05 AM
RE: Drawing is more important than painting - by miguelnova00 - 01-17-2016, 12:31 PM