Dan's Sketchbook
Some more quick portraits
[Image: file-68.jpg]

I was away over the weekend so i managed to force myself to do some sketching from life, whatever was around really
[Image: file-69.jpg]
[Image: file-75.jpg]
[Image: file-74.jpg]
[Image: file-73.jpg]

Old guy i sketched out a while ago which was very inaccurate so i was going to leave it, but instead decided to render it out from imagination during a long car journey. A fun exercise
[Image: file-72.jpg]

Another self portrait page
[Image: file-70.jpg]

Oil Jean Leon Gerome study
[Image: file-71.jpg]

More portraits and forcing myself to do some figure
[Image: file-76.jpg]
[Image: file-77.jpg]

Portraits, figures and bridgman. having fun with the brush pen, i could get used to this :)
[Image: file-79.jpg]
[Image: file-80.jpg]

BRIDGMAAAAANN
brush pen on cheap a4 printer paper. moving out of the moleskin mainly for larger area but it also allows me to loosen up more. however, I've run out of ink in the brush pen so I've had to order some more
[Image: file-81.jpg]
[Image: file-82.jpg]

Its been over 2 months since i last posted. exams.
Anyway thats all over now, gotta get back in the habit of doing more art

Just a little bit of Bridgman
[Image: file-85.jpg]
[Image: file-86.jpg]
[Image: file-87.jpg]

This is my A level final piece which was done in 15 hours over 3 days
[Image: file-83.jpg]

My first painting after finishing exams. I spent quite a long time on it but i think it payed off :) good to get back into it
[Image: file-84.jpg]

Havent updated in so long, so heres a collection of thing that ive done since the last time and ill try and post more :P gotta get more work done before uni!

[Image: file-88.jpg]

[Image: file-89.jpg]

[Image: file-90.jpg]

[Image: file-91.jpg]

[Image: file-92.jpg]

[Image: file-93.jpg]

[Image: file-94.jpg]

[Image: file-95.jpg]

A Sargent study, another Bargue study, a Vilppu study and a hand :)

[Image: file-96.jpg]

[Image: file-97.jpg]

[Image: file-98.jpg]

Just sketchbook stuff

[Image: file-99.jpg]

[Image: file-100.jpg]

[Image: file-101.jpg]

So the plan is to get started in drawing from imagination as thats the main thing that ive been avoiding for quite a while now. My brother suggested this exercise which is to pick a subject and then do 1 study, 1 drawing from a different angle with ref, 1 sketch and then correct it with ref and then 1 full imagination drawing. Hopefully ill have more of these to post soon, gonna try and make it a daily thing.
Also, trying to make notes and then study up on stuff that i need to work on.
btw, CHECK OUT HIS SKETCHBOOK! Hes getting crazy good. http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-678-page-21.html

[Image: file-104.jpg]

[Image: file-102.jpg]

[Image: file-103.jpg]

Also wanted to do more figure work so ive started going through Stan Prokopenko's figure drawing videos on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/user/ProkoTV
Very good so far :)

[Image: file-106.jpg]

[Image: file-105.jpg]

I can see progression in your oils man :D, sketchbook stuff is getting better as well (few of the sketches are weirdly skewed), but apart from that good work!

Sketchbook | Deviantart | Blog

"The difficulties of not knowing are much greater than the effort of learning"
Beautifull tones in the drawings! Nice paintings as well! Keep it up!

Cheers guys, i appreciate it :)

Ive moved to uni!! so excited to start the course on monday :D
Just some sketchbook stuff from before i left and a master study i did today

Trying to do some more stuff from life
[Image: file-109.jpg]
[Image: file-110.jpg]
[Image: file-111.jpg]

[Image: file-108.jpg]

[Image: file-112.jpg]

[Image: file-113.jpg]

Great stuff Dan, hope Mike's talk didn't scare you too much. Those Bridgeman studies are sweet, as well as your oils stuff. Keep at it! I'll probably see you next week since I'm helping out with visual design.

hollinrake.art @ gmail.com
Portfolio
deviantART
Sketchbook
Not too much, A big mix of emotions ahead of tomorrow but mainly excitement :) Oh cool, i might see you tomorrow then! :D

So i start uni tomorrow, pretty much just trying to remember how to use a pencil, so a pretty random mix of drawings :)
[Image: file-117.jpg]
[Image: file-116.jpg]
[Image: file-115.jpg]
[Image: file-114.jpg]

First day over! drawing down by the river and life drawing. did 3D for the first time today and made a rough dalek :)
Anyway, heres first days stuff, along with a study of a stan prokopenko drawing done in my spare time
[Image: file-118.jpg]
[Image: file-119.jpg]
[Image: file-121.jpg]
[Image: file-122.jpg]
[Image: file-123.jpg]
[Image: file-124.jpg]
[Image: file-125.jpg]
[Image: file-127.jpg]

[Image: file-120.jpg]

Just a few bits and bobs today

Some more small river drawings, think ive got about 5 more to do and then a final piece over the weekend
[Image: file-128.jpg]

Bargue plate, probably shade it tomorrow
[Image: file-129.jpg]

quick figures
[Image: file-130.jpg]
[Image: file-131.jpg]

Some more of the canal from last week and week 2's life drawing

[Image: file-139.jpg]

[Image: file-138.jpg]

[Image: file-132.jpg]

[Image: file-133.jpg]

[Image: file-134.jpg]

[Image: file-135.jpg]

[Image: file-136.jpg]

[Image: file-137.jpg]

Looking good dude. So jealous of the life drawing. Now, I know jack shit about pencil stuff, but it might be worth trying to work on your line weight a bit (in the life drawing anyway). Maybe do one really light sketch, then pull the drawing out with clean lines on top. Thicker lines in shadow areas, and really thin lines where the value of the skin kinda blends into the bg. If that makes any sense lol. Basically where there's a big contrast between the figure and bg, chuck a fat line in, and where there's a really low contrast edge, use a really fine line. That's one way of doing it anyway. Doesn't really matter though, any sort of variation seems to work :)

I just remember when I was doing life drawing, that focusing on the line weight helped my lines more than just trying to do cleaner lines in general. Maybe the variation gives some leeway or something, who knows.

Saw your blogpost btw, crushing it. Glad you're enjoying the course dude :).