Terran it up....ehhh
Hey beautiful people, thanks for all the compliments lately! It's really been helping me keep a super upbeat mood! In love

Sam, thanks a lot for the paint over! I was going for a very vertical composition but it wasn't working very well and just came off as very cramped(like you said.) In retrospect I think it was because I was trying to keep her "in the canvas" rather then letting her crop out of it comfortably. And you raised a good point with the hair as well. I was thinking of it as very thin and straight as it went over the face, but no where else on the head so it seemed very out of place.

On another noooooote. When I scale down my images so they aren't fucking massive, they get really really sharp and it changes how the final looks. Sometimes I apply a soft blur but it still looks worse overall. Anyone else have this problem or do I just not know how to properly scale down so it doesn't fuck it all up?

Another WIP

Attached Files Image(s)

Glad I could help dude! The lighting's looking a lot better now too.

I don't believe come across that problem before! How are you resizing exactly? My first thought would be you need to work more zoomed out so you see what the full picture looks like as you're working on it. Buuuut maybe you're already doing that.
If the resized image is actually sharper than the zoomed out full-resolution version then your copy of photoshop is probably demon-possessed. Exorcisms are expensive so an alternative solution would be to zoom out so you can see the whole piece, turn on photoshop's full window setting, then take a screen-cap and save it as an image.

Good luck figuring that issue out!

Those master studies and still lifes are awesome! Great stuff so far!!

Talked to a friend about it and he explained that painting zoomed out (less than a 100%) blurs the image. When I scale it downward its reducing or removing the blur effect so the end result is what the image actually looks like. This is a much more obvious answer than photoshop actually sharpening the image on re-size, not sure why I assumed so.

Hanging out with friends past couple days and haven't gotten much done. Gonna take a break on the deer lady for now. Here is something impractical and unfunctional I got bored with.

Attached Files Image(s)

I'm not dead yet, promise.

Trying out some new ways of working by painting this guy. More soooooon.

(ignore the planet sized sig....damnit Silent)

Attached Files Image(s)

Kicking some serious ass here man.

Thanks, Sula! Gotta do more tho!

(08-25-2013, 06:57 AM)atrenr Wrote: More soooooon.
You don't know what that means...do you?

I kicked this piece of trash around for so long and got tired of it. Sat down and forced myself to work on it. Now to try and never see it again in my life. Bomb

Back to actually looking at reference and stuff.

Attached Files Image(s)

oh nice, keep it seductive man. I like the first pose of the deer lady, makes her look a bit vulnerable and cautious, like real deer and animals.
But yeah, you got me begging for more dude.

AHAH! Two posts in two days!? Didn't see that coming did you??? Gonna figure out how to paint clurds.

Thanks, Manny. I agree and probably would not have made the change in hindsight. Tongue

Attached Files Image(s)

great work! especially liking the studies, try to be more patient with your personal work though. keep updating :)
More clerds.

Also, flamelurker got rekt on my first try. waddup Nervous smile, ahehe

Attached Files Image(s)

reminds me of aliens

Hey there,

very nice clouds, very alive. The first one reminds me of a horse charge and the second one is like the Kanagawa wave but in the sky.

keep it up!

So nice.... So fluffy.... So... So cloudy c,:

Loving these cloud updates sah much!

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
Thanks guys!

Here is an unfinished mess I'm dropping. Didn't feel I was learning much and was just fixing errors.

Attached Files Image(s)

Studies look really beautiful! I like your imaginative work--the deer centaur looks really cool.

Sketchbook

Just found your sketchbook, nice progress going on. Also, your master study GIF made my day XD.
That Terran vehicle is super awesome! Kudos on your lasso usage, I'm working on it but its still kinda frustrating to make manmade objects read well.. other stuff: on some of your paintings I think you should define some focal areas, where you detail stuff more, instead of working through the whole image with the same painting "quality".. thats about it, they are awesome otherwise :)

drafts and feedback pls

Thanks guys <3

Here are the drafts and feedback to something I'm working on. Finished soon~

Attached Files Image(s)