PLAYTIME W/ JAKTRAYTER
TRYING TO MAKE AAAAAAALLLLLL KIIIIINDDDSSS OF GAAAAAAAIIINS! (hodgetwins reference)

I was going to post earlier drawings from before I even joined this site, but I decided not to; my new plan is to post wherever I last left off in my creative life cycle. So my first entry will contain drawings from the midway point of my sketchbook. I'm currently studying Andrew Loomis, Drawing the Head and Hands, so many of these posts will be fairly technical, focusing more on cementing my fundamentals so in the long run, my creativity won't be stunted, due to my ignorance of the basics!

You all can view my past work on my dA gallery. The link is in my signature.

Alright, my first update in my sketchbook! Currently, I'm studying the use of planes on heads. These heads were drawn without a reference but the method of distinguishing these planes on the human head came from Andrew Loomis's Drawing the Head and Hands. I don't know how to fully describe it, but I feel very accomplished and fantastic after I learn such difficult concepts, especially when I can apply them to my own drawings from memory.

I have been quite busy with school; my initial goal was to be able to post each day, however, work and school made it hard for me to do so. I should have a lot more sketches than I do now. One of my goals is to draw a helluva a lot more often and a lot longer than I am now.

I am taking a break from Andrew Loomis's Drawing the Head and hands and beginning to study his book, Figure Drawing For All It's Worth. Before, I thought I should focus on one part of the body at a tie until I became quite skilled in drawing and observing those parts. That has become very tedious and at times, I didn't look forward to my studies. I almost turn into a vegetable after studying heads for weeks on end: constructing the head in various angles is no longer a chore, and I memorized the planes of the face. I needed a change of pace and I think mixing it up more often will aid in my growth.

Does anyone know how I can apply my studies into full fledged art projects? I think it will help cement concepts and of course prove to be enjoyable.

Hey Devan (right?), first of all, great you joined the daggers and you're taking the challenge to improve! Also I like that you already added some serious studies to this very sketchbook here.
Your studies on the planes of the head are a good start, but I think you're missing the overall proportions of the head, e.g. where excactly the eyesockets are placed and how big they are compared to anything else in the face. Maybe you want to check this out: http://www.youtube.com/user/ProkoTV?feature=watch. Since you're already working with the Loomis' books this will probably sound familiar to you, but he explains quite nicely how the different parts relate to each other. Otherwise I'd suggest to do some more studies from real humans (whether real-life real or photography-real) and try to apply what you learned about planes, forms(!) etc from your previous studies.
And how to apply your studies to art projects? Well, the obvious answer would be, paint something from your mind, most probably some portraits from what you've studied. But since that's probably not of much help for you, here are some other suggestions what you might try:
Take two photographies and try to combine them, e.g. the facial features from the first, the lighting and colours from the other. Or take a reference and change things: add a hat, an enormous nose, eyebrows or beard or something like that. In this way you still have a guideline you can refer to, but you're also creating something on your own. If you're on the I-want-to-paint-the-complete-thing-on-my-own path, think about WHAT you want to paint, then (still!) search for some reference, have a close look on it or even copy it once; and then paint whatever you wanted to paint in the first place, but with that extra-information in your mind.
After all one final point; your linework on the last figure studies look a bit messy; since it's much more clean on the life-drawings I suppose this is because you're still figuring things out here. Draw your humans more often (and maybe do some of these seemingly unavoidable gesturedrawings), and I'm sure you'll gain some more confidence with these.
I hope I wasn't to harsh here, but you asked for some comment, so here it was :)
Just keep this sketchbook alive, you're on the right track and I'm looking forward to see what can accomplish!

Thank you so much!!! so, so, so much! I usually only read critiques and advice from more seasoned artists that are for other beginning artists like myself...Not once has someone commented on my drawings in the same manner as you; it was always a quick "that's good!" and the like...I don't think you were harsh, just very truthful. Very constructive too! Also, thanks for welcoming me on this site.

As for the planes, I understand what you mean by making sure the proportions are correct. I'm sure they do vary from person to person, but seeing that I was inconsistent in my plane studies proves that I am unsure about the "standard" size of the planes. My goal first and foremost was to memorize the divisions and now I will focus on proper portions! Thanks for taking the time to find a link; very considerate.

Oh boy, ever since I started reading Loomis books, my life drawing has been close to nonexistent, besides drawing the nude in my life drawing class. I should really get on that...I felt as if gestures were a lazy way in filling up a sketchbooks super fast and a simple stress free way of saying that i was still drawing, even though I'm using no effort. My old sketches were only gestures, but now as I read your post, if I were to simply make a conscious effort about hat to improve upon, my gestures will have substance and impact my observation, hand, and sense of understanding significantly over time.

Those projects are all great ideas!! I think I might try adding planes to photo references...that sounds helpful. I want to learn to paint in photoshop, but since I am so green when it comes to digital media, i don't think it will be productive and I don't have any physical paints besides water colors in my house...unfortunately.

Yeah, my line work is extremely fuzzy. I am unsure of how to draw the body in dynamic poses, so I sort of..."feel" my way throughout the process and emphasize whatever comes out correctly. So, i do a lot of scribble scrabble line work. Unless I am drawing and copying directly from a study in a book, my figure studies from my mind always turn out messy...

Wow, thank you so much! I will continue to post in my sketchbook! I am very grateful for the serious and helpful advice!!!

Sketches of today, 2-3-2013

Trying to advance past my emphasis on heads and progressing elsewhere along the human figure: necks were my focus for today. I sketched a few heads and figures for good measure too.

Starting to learn how to paint in photoshop. Looking t tutorials and playing around with the brushes on my tablet (vistablet). It is really challenging; I have never painted before, I always used black and white media so this is indeed a mile from my comfort zone...

...it's cold here.

Still, I haven't attempted anything creative, just raw studies...how am I going to be a concept artist if I keep this up?? <siiiiigh> I just don't want my lack of technical skills to hamper my creativity: I want to learn how to draw hands, feet, eyes, ears, noses, mouths, various facial expressions and proper limb proportions before I even attempt imagining my own concepts and the concepts of others. This is very complicated!!!

Any help would be appreciated

Hey Man, I know what you mean about technical skills and creativity. For a long time I felt exactly like you are now and said to myself "Hey I'll do creative stuff once I get good enough at drawing anatomy so that my characters look decent" But that method start's getting boring/frustrating. You have to get a good balance between studying and imaginative stuff to truly improve at a good rate in my opinion.

I'll go over a few things that I do and I feel have been working out pretty well for me.

Studies, I think it's best to stay out of the trap of studying for the sake of studying. You want to study what's going to help you. I love character art and want to draw/paint them. So Anatomy is a given.
I would suggest starting with studying the overall figure first, with quick figure drawings not worrying about detail (Dennis actually did a tutorial on this here ) and then doing a quarter - half of what you did from imagination. Once your feeling more comfortable I'd start breaking the anatomy down. When your studying, really think about what your studying, how it work's and why its the way it is.

You want to be working on your imagination stuff as well daily, try doing at least a page or two of imagination sketches. Just chill and enjoy it. These will also be helpful to see what you need to study. "oh ok, It looks like I need to improve my understanding of how armor is worn."

This method of working on imagination stuff and Identifying issues, Studying them, and then application works well for me.

Good luck Man, hope this was helpful :)

Sketchbook ▲  Website ▲ TwitterArtStation ▲ Twitch ▲

(02-04-2013, 10:16 PM)Jonesoda Wrote: Hey Man, I know what you mean about technical skills and creativity. For a long time I felt exactly like you are now and said to myself "Hey I'll do creative stuff once I get good enough at drawing anatomy so that my characters look decent" But that method start's getting boring/frustrating. You have to get a good balance between studying and imaginative stuff to truly improve at a good rate in my opinion.

I'll go over a few things that I do and I feel have been working out pretty well for me.

Studies, I think it's best to stay out of the trap of studying for the sake of studying. You want to study what's going to help you. I love character art and want to draw/paint them. So Anatomy is a given.
I would suggest starting with studying the overall figure first, with quick figure drawings not worrying about detail (Dennis actually did a tutorial on this here ) and then doing a quarter - half of what you did from imagination. Once your feeling more comfortable I'd start breaking the anatomy down. When your studying, really think about what your studying, how it work's and why its the way it is.

You want to be working on your imagination stuff as well daily, try doing at least a page or two of imagination sketches. Just chill and enjoy it. These will also be helpful to see what you need to study. "oh ok, It looks like I need to improve my understanding of how armor is worn."

This method of working on imagination stuff and Identifying issues, Studying them, and then application works well for me.

Good luck Man, hope this was helpful :)

WOW, thank you so much for your insight. It feels as if I am talking to myself from the future, someone that has been through my EXACT same trials, yet overcame them! This is wholly inspiring and helpful; eases the stress of my mind and it makes the process more fun.

Thank you so much...I am seriously going to follow your suggestions.

A figure draawing from my life drawing class and a few sketches during a boring video we were watching in one of my other classes.

The model wasn't present in life drawing today, so, my teacher decided to model for his class (he was clothed btw haha) and my sketches were studies on head to neck transitions with subtle facial rendering and a male proportions study for good measure.

I also uploaded a figure study that I am not too proud of. I was hesitant in even uploading it, but I thought: why not? It is a good way of showing progress and observing mistakes and successes within each and everyone.

I don't think I am drawing enough on one page...I don't think I am drawing enough in a day!

My goodness dude, I see a big improvement already!
Really digging your work ethic, such dedication it's inspiring (:
Keep pushing! Eager to see more! ^^

What motivates you?

(02-05-2013, 04:34 PM)s-mrr Wrote: My goodness dude, I see a big improvement already!
Really digging your work ethic, such dedication it's inspiring (:
Keep pushing! Eager to see more! ^^

Thank you so much! I saw your sketchbook earlier today and felt very envious, haaha you sketch so much and so often! That has driven me to push myself and try harder. I'm trying to apply my studies too, work them over in my original concepts. I appreciate the kind words!

30 sec gestures. I drew for maybe....8mins today. Deeply disappointed in myself. On the plus side, I finally found a rival/partner! That was the reason why I wasn't focusing on my art. Well, now that I found that person to kick me in the rear, I have no excuses. Even though this partnership is meant to help motivate and push each other at its core, I also view it as decent competition: I won't fall behind!!

Alright, here is an update to my sketchbook.

I have (much too light) gestures, some are 30sec and 60sec; figure studies from life drawing class, and drawings from imagination that I am applying my studies to.

The life drawings wwew harder than usual; I was practicing different techniques and methods of going about sketching the model. Very, Verrrrry frustrating...the first pose SUCKS...BAD.I was practicing rendering the figure by using my finger to rub the charcoal around. Though the values are even, they are either way too light or just....meh. however, imy second pose turned ou alot better. It was still frustrating...maybe because I am drawing larger, regardless the second pose may be my best figure drawing from class!

I am especially proud of sketches from my imagination. Here, I was just applying my studies, but exercising my creativity. As for the actual process, I am trying to use as few strokes as possible; trying to build confidence in my strokes so my sketches don't turn out fuzzy and chicken scratchy.

Attached Files Image(s)

First time drawing female heads. I know that my strokes are much more confident, however, I am using my eraser a lot more to break the habit of overlapping my lines.. I used a hair reference for the bottom left sketch. The two in the middle are from life, and the rest are from my own imagination. I feel accomplished for my first time. Concept application ROCKZ!

Attached Files Image(s)

way to go manny! you are already doing a good practice, a complementary practice would be producing more finished sketches.
I mean, you draw from a model (and from life if possible) you analize and draw it, like you are doing now, and then you render it with the technique of your choice.
That will help you greatly to think in a more 3d way and it will expand your visual library too.
Also i really like your attitude towards art, keep working hard!

(02-08-2013, 09:28 PM)EduardoGaray Wrote: way to go manny! you are already doing a good practice, a complementary practice would be producing more finished sketches.
I mean, you draw from a model (and from life if possible) you analize and draw it, like you are doing now, and then you render it with the technique of your choice.
That will help you greatly to think in a more 3d way and it will expand your visual library too.
Also i really like your attitude towards art, keep working hard!

Thank you for the advice and kind words! I'm trying to finish my sketches, but there are some parts of the body that I am not quite adept at...so i am breaking everything up in chunks: first head, than neck, pectoralis region, torso, etc. This way, my figures would be easier to draw. However, I am still attempting full figures from imagination just so I can practice proportions and the like. But once I finish my "sectional studies" I will move to that next level!

Thank god for your post, it always helps when somebody leaves a touch of wisdom...keeps me going when I run out of inner fuel.

Heads. Chesticle studies.

Attached Files Image(s)

Progressing my studies towards the chest of the figure. Steadily improving my understanding.

Attached Files Image(s)

Life drawings and studies from sketch book; you guys know the drill.

The landscape life drawing is certainly an embarrassment to my dojo (forgive me sensei).

On the flip side, my head studies are looking a lot better in my opinion!

Attached Files Image(s)

Two life studies of a model and two updated entries from my sketchbook.

My charcoal studies of the model are improving; I'm learning to build the body using a square/cube method. Works wonders when drawing from a foreshortened perspective.

Practiced drawing heads using pen so I wouldn't be tempted to erase mistakes...helps me focus on line more. I also practiced drawing heads no refs. with fully mapped out features.

I need to produce more work faster per day. Gotta really try harder. This is frustrating.

Attached Files Image(s)