The Sketchy Sketchbook of ....Sketchyness!!
Good work so far! We're starting to see the image, and the fabric around the shoulders looks nice as is.

Sketchbook

Thanks Tygerson!, Yeah i'm pretty happy with how the values turned out in this(I need to work on my proportions though.
Anyway here's the finished piece and the ref for it, took me about 8 hours total I think, also uploaded my composition notes for it as well so people can point out how wrong I am about it all :P.
Also more work on the gasmask guy, I tried my first attempt at making a textured brush for the head, it's sorta messed up the lighting but i'm working around it I think. I'm gonna try and finish this tommorow, there's alot more I could do to improve it but i've gotten bored of it and it's fine as it is I think, after this i'm thinking of either working on the dnd character I sketched out a page or so back, a weird siren creature I sketched ages ago or I wanted to do a piece of fanart for a really interesting game i'm playing called betrayer.
For the latter 2 i'm gonna be trying my first attempt at thumbnail sketches to try and find a composition for it.

Attached Files Image(s)

And once again like an old doritto hidden behind a settee cushion, I RISE!......moving on.

my 4th composition piece, pretty much ended hellishly XD, did'nt know what I was doing and I sorta just got bogged down in the details way to quick to the point where I don't think i'm gonna continue it due to it boring me now(besides that i've put a good 8 hours work into it already).

Final finish to the gasmask piece, there's alot more I could do with it but i'm ready to move on from it now, learnt alot from it though.

W.I.P based of the siren sketch I did a while back. I'd really appreciate some feedback on the composition, I think this is the first full imagination piece i've done that's not just been a head or a body floating in space, plus i've been trying to apply what I learned from the level up composition vids into it.

Thought i'd just quickly update this.
Start to my 5th composition study, really gonna try to make sure I don't jump headfirst into detail like the last peice this time.

Attached Files Image(s)

The comp study is turning out well--way to really work the planning phase! And in parallel, all the quick sketches--keep it up!

Sketchbook

Thanks!.

Attached Files Image(s)

Aaaaand Finished. messed up the face a bit though.

so much practice here dude, awesome!
This last study came out really well, the proportions of the face are a bit messed up, but dont worry about that at the moment, faces are difficult and i can see you have already improved a lot in these last months. Just keep doing what you are doing.

Woah, great improvement! I think you're on the right track with your study methods. Taking lots of notes and spending equal time analyzing as drawing and painting is going to help you a ton. Keep it up bro!

The study looks great. You captured the resemblance with the face, even if it's not pixel-for-pixel matched.

Sketchbook

EduardoGaray:Yeah I struggled for a good hour or two trying to get the face right buut the resemblance is there so it was'nt a total failure XD, as you said the rest of the piece came out well though.

Tygerson:Thanks. I think the messed up face was more a proportions problem then anything else, I had the same problem with the old man study a little while back, gonna try and pay alot more attention to the face proportions on the next portrait painting I study.

Hypnagogic Haze:Hey! thanks for dropping by. Was'nt actually sure lately if my study methods have been that effective, arts such a slow skill to learn that it's sorta hard to tell sometimes so it's helpful to hear that you think i'm on the right track :).
Been thinking about maybe livestreaming recently as i've been doing alot of digital art, not really sure if it's worth it yet though, it seems like a good way to talk with other artists outside of forums plus it'd keep me working as I would'nt be able to be lazy and go play dark souls or something.

I have some traditional stuff to upload but i'm to tired to right now so heres my digital stuff recently, both wips, need to get back to that Siren project actually.

Composition study 06
Measuring all this out took a damn lifetime(3-4 hours...slight overstatement), but yeah tried do what I did last piece and seperated most of the light and dark, I think alot of the details in the back are a bit off in value and proportion, i'm gonna go over and check them again at the end.
Honestly these pieces are hard for me to work on, theres so many details and shapes spread out in them it's hard to focus which is the reason i think I messed up the landscape one so bad, all the more reason I should be practicing these sorta paintings though.

And a sketch of link, honestly only meant to do this for an hour or two for fun(which is why the proportions are so messed up) but i've been workin on it for a while now, i'm having fun with it still so i'm gonna finish it anyway, i'm thinking I might try and light it as well to learn a bit from it.

Attached Files Image(s)

Not much to show this week due to..dark souls....forgive me XD.

Also got a few other things i'm working on that I can't upload yet.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey, really liking your studies and how you capture the resemblance, keep it up !

Shin's Sketchbook ▼ ▼ ▼Patreon ▼ ▼ ▼ dArt
ShinOkami: Hey, thanks man, think i'm gonna stop on the really detailed painted studies for a while after this one though, honestly they take a ton of time, I think i've already sunk atleast 15 hours into the latest one.

Just a quick update because i wanted people's opinions on these.

Learned a bit more about composition recently and I tried to make a few thumbnails for the Siren Piece.
Personally I like the top left one and the bottom right one, I mainly wanted the focus to be on the siren's face and the head she's holding but the bottom right one would'nt allow that buut I thought it might allow me to show some sort of civalization for the creatures, hence why I put that bridge there.
They both need work though, the bottom right one is sorta imbalanced in value.
I also like the bottom left one so I might try mixing both the bottom ones if it comes to it.

Quite a lofty abode you've got here...

And I see you've been doing your homework, impressive.

You seem to be on the edge of a breakthrough, so I'll leave ya to it.

STRENGTH, FRIEND!

great practice in here! keep it up good you're studying composition :)

70+Page Koala Sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3465.html SB

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
Harbringer:Thanks man, MORE STRENGTH [Image: hulk-toss-bear-o.gif]

Fedodika:Thanks man, studying compositions been pretty fun so far :).

Firstly MariusJ kindly painted over one of my thumbnails in one of his livestreams and I tweaked my first one a bit, looks far better now I think, also tried a second one, not done yet but i'm liking where it's going from a storytelling aspect.
i liked the third and fourth ones buut honestly I could'nt think of what to put in the blank area in the middle, whole thing looked barren.

Also space dandy..don't mention the right hand... just just don't..please XD, honestly I had a much simpler pose in mind for his arm and hand but I wanted to try my luck at doing something more complex and I erased that area of the piece so much I just had to settle with him clenching his horribly drawn fist rather then the complex idea I had :(.
Anyway it did get me off my ass and doing more hand studies so it's not all bad.

Attached Files Image(s)

Sorry for not updating in a while, had my friends over for a few days and work got in the way of me posting last week.

Quick hour and a half study.

And a bunch of small studies for the Siren piece, i'm toying with the idea of glowing coral growing on her and her eyes being luminescent, think making it blue would be some good contrast against the sunset. Also not sure on the overal design of her i'm trying to give her some fishlike features buut i'm not sure if it's coming out well, think the problem is mainly with the mouth i've been trying to design that of anglerfish.

hey there mate! nice to see this update, i specially like your gestures.
Thats why, i think you will love this: http://www.proko.com/gesture-vs-contour-scribbly-lines/
Just keep practicing as much as you can, its the only way. :)

Hey man, yeah thanks for the link, I think i've been making the stiff contour gestures he mentioned with my 2min ones, I like the idea of drawing the gesture simply and then building the construction over it, i'll try it next time.

Attached Files Image(s)