The Sketchy Sketchbook of ....Sketchyness!!
You're getting better; keep working! I KNOW IT'S TOUGH BUT I BELIEVE IN YOU!
Thanks man, haha yeah it's tough or i'm lazy most likely the latter lol, gotta keep drawing and stay motivated to get through the tough parts though.
Didn't draw that much over the holidays tooka bit of a break, I am however in the awesome Tul's mentoring class now(thanks a ton to him for settin this up and teachin us lowly mortals ;P) so i've got a few assignments from that.

and I also recently got Scott Robertson's how to draw book for about 20 quid on amazon, have'nt got too far into it yet as i'm trying to focus on improving my linework curves and ellipses before reading further in but so far it's impressive, that and he also links to video tutorials he did for the book which are very helpful,
really recommend it.

Attached Files Image(s)

Quick Update

Attached Files Image(s)

Qucik update on the gasmask and other things, think i'm improving on gestures I seem to improve better on them when i'm not timing them actually, think it might be best for me to get the method down in non-timed ones and then put it into practice by timing them.

Attached Files Image(s)

Another Update,

Attached Files Image(s)

not really anything to show but I figured I should update anyway,
i'd have more then this to upload but i've been ill the last few days and have'nt been drawing.

Attached Files Image(s)

waah there is a disturbing lack of comments here.
Consider doing loads and loads of really quick gesture studies mate, dont even try to capture the figure, just the movement. Just how you "feel" the pose and its movement.
I think at this point it would help to boost your level greatly.

Yo man, nice work! Costumes studies are the best, great ones you are doing! Something I noticed, maybe you could add some ambient light (or another light source) to the masked man portrait (on the shadow side)? I think it would look even cooler! Keep it up man!

Eduardo Garay:Hey thanks for dropping by mate, eh I think the lack of comments is probbly because I don't update that much, anyway thanks for the gesture advice i'm gonna be focusing on anatomy and form this month so im gonna try to do a set of gestures a day this month.

TonariNoPunpun:Thanks, i've been thinkin about adding another light source to the gasmask man for a while now, finding it hard to figure out where to place the light how strong to make it or if to make colored though, i'm sorta thinking about maybe making it a red ambient light?

Little Sketch of one of my friends dnd characters, sorta zoned out halfway through doing this but i'm gonna be doing an improved painted version of it in photoshop at some point anyway.

Also was studying hamptons gesture drawing method, I think I got the general idea of it and I managed to apply it to ref pretty well, it's gonna be applying it to timed gestures that's gonna be the hard part.

Not much of an update, did'nt get much drawing done for the last few days.

Attached Files Image(s)

Art Dump!
been thinking about maybe takin a more project based aproach to drawing, like think of an idea I want to draw and then study different things i'd need for that everyday to gradually build it up, like for example I have this idea for this siren creature I wanted to draw(I have a quick sketch of it a few posts or so back) so maybe focus on composition and thumbnails one day then textures or clothing the next, whatever goes into the piece. problem with art is progress is so slow and gradual it's sorta hard to know if i'm overthinking it or not XD.

More work on mr gasmask, so much shit I need to fix in this XD, should've been done with this a month ago, anyway trying out maybe making the secondary light come from the tubes in his head, seems to look pretty cool so far albiet i'm not if maybe I should change the colour to something warmer, also need to work on the head wounds and skintone in general, having the same problem with the skintones as I did in the painted head a while back.

More Hampton practice, glad I started the book over I think I rushed the first two chapters a bit too quickly last time and just sorta dove straight into the anatomy.
I also have major problems thinkin up poses from imagination so i've started taking ref pictures and changing the poses in them, seems like a good idea for practice, also need to work on my 30s gestures 1m and 2m are fine I think but the second I get to the 30s ones I start scribblin like a lunatic XD.

great update mate! your gestures are looking better and better.
As for drawing poses from imagination, gesture drawing alone is awesome but, learn to think in 3d and develop your own 3d memory (if that makes any sense) is essential.
Recently i've been doing an exercise that i'm finding definitely helpful, study and object or a body part, or a whole pose.
And try to draw it from different angles from imagination, it will probably look rather bad the first times, but thats the point. You just need to soldier on and keep doing it.

Hey Trigger, I see your doing constructive anatomy stuff, definitely keep that up! Keep in mind to apply what your learning as well so it sticks. (I've been doing a page of imaginative application right after studying, It's helping things stick with me a whole lot better then before. Wish I had started sooner.) Also the long flowy lines in your recent gestures are looking good, It's pretty rough building the line confidence for that.

Sketchbook ▲  Website ▲ TwitterArtStation ▲ Twitch ▲

Eduardo Garay:I remember there was a vid with the same idea of drawing objects in different imagined viewpoints, never thought to try it out in anatomy drawing though so thanks for the idea :).

Jonesoda:thanks, yeah i've started trying to apply the stuff in the hampton book to imagination, think i'm learning alot more then I did the first time I went through the book, feel I sorta rushed it that time.

Few imagination drawings, I seriously need to start drawing clothes on these XD.

Serious improvement on the gesture drawing! Your deep study is really paying off!

Sketchbook

Thanks tygerson!

Signed up for this level up workshop thing on Conceptart, have'nt had the time to do any of the assignments but I had a quick look at the composition one and they seem to be pretty in depth, i'll be starting with the colour and light assignments though. they also post daily master studies to paint although at the skill level i'm at, i'm not sure if it'd really benefit me to start doing painted master studies yet, I have thought about doing some frazetta pencil studies though.

god help me, I have no idea what i'm doing XD, yeah i'm having trouble getting the lighting right on this, Also need to work on the skintone as well, I think i'm gonna try workin on this for 1 more week everyday after that i'm gonna be done with it regardless of if it's done or not, theres other ideas I want to paint right now.

guess whos been watching alot of space dandy recently, been trying to think of an actual full fanart piece for it actually, no luck so far though.

Wow. Nice progress so far! (Especially with your perspective/depth/form studies. I need to do more of those, myself.)

For the guy with the gas mask -- if you want the tubes in his head to look like they're really glowing, try going over the center of each hose with an overlay layer, using a lighter color and a soft brush.

Also, make sure they're having an effect on their surroundings. (I bet you'd see some of that orange bouncing off the wall behind your guy and possibly even the back of his neck depending on how far down those tubes go.)

If this were my piece, I'd knock down the brightness of the back wall some so that the glowing tubes could visually pop even more. (It'll help add a slightly creepy vibe to the piece, which is what I think you're trying to go for.) If you put in a cool detail like that, make it sing and make it a focal point!

Keep up the great work, Trigger!

Sorry for not posting in a while, life's got a bit hectic for me recently.

Riley Stark:Thanks for the advice on the gasmask guy, had'nt really thought much about what to do with the background it'd sorta just been a stand in but yeah I need to apply the lighting to it and darken it up a bit.

Thanks Hillbillyjoe

Okay got a new tv for my pc need to mess around with the settings a bit so some of my coloured work from here on might look a bit off.
Also started on the Level up assignments over on Conceptart, so far the vids themselves have been a tremendous help, the first ones composition 1.1 and colour and light 1.1 are free I believe and i'd really reccomend people check them out.
Anyway doing the composition ones first, we have to spend a minimum of 30 mins and a maximum of 1hour on these but I spent 30 more minutes on the first one because I got way to into the details straight away.
Basicaly we have to look for rhythm, emphasis, economy, variety and continuity in the pieces we study, i'm still pretty confused about continuity though as it seemed to be pretty much what I thought rhythm was meant to be.

Thinkin about redoing the Frazetta piece, had major trouble getting the values down correctly in time.
Aaand a quick Frazetta study for fun and some imagination doodles, used ref for them and the girl is a character from the tv show Kill-la-kill
(she's one of my new favorite psychopaths :D).

Update on the gasmask, also redid the frazetta study, decided i'd learn more if I spent more time on them,
spent 8 hours give or take on this one.
I applied what Riley said(thanks again for the crit) and also messed around with a few lighting settings on the gasmask, I think this looks much more atmospheric then before.

Attached Files Image(s)

just a quick update
Third study for level up composition 1.1, worked on it for about 2 and a half hours so far I think.
Did'nt save the ref pic yet but it's by Anthony Van Dyke.

Attached Files Image(s)