Darktiste Sketchbook
Nice spheres! You can definitely tell what material you are trying to indicate. The green jelly cube is probably the best.

I do still feel you rely too much on photoshop tools and tricks to get your point across sometimes, rather than proper painting. Most of material read is just in the general painting of how the object reacts to light. The specularity, how matte/reflective it is, and how those two things match up mostly explain the material, with the details being secondary. 

(01-31-2021, 04:19 PM)JosephCow Wrote: Nice spheres! You can definitely tell what material you are trying to indicate. The green jelly cube is probably the best.

I do still feel you rely too much on photoshop tools and tricks to get your point across sometimes, rather than proper painting. Most of material read is just in the general painting of how the object reacts to light. The specularity, how matte/reflective it is, and how those two things match up mostly explain the material, with the details being secondary. 
Yeah the green jelly was the last one i did i think it the one where all i learn from the previous one paid the most.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Wow, look at that! You actually attempted it! I agree with Josephcow, you are relying too much on Photoshop tools and special effects to get some textures and lighting down. I recommend just using one or two brushes and trying your best to capture the texture the best you can. Also, it's probably a good idea to put all the spheres on one page so that we can see them all at once. Keep at it!
Trying to do more complex form that involve mirroring and working to expand my texture quality.I will be working on other lamp to improve my speed at mirroring.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Your latest stuff is looking great! And it's a really big leap in quality as well! The material studies are paying off for sure!

Keep up the good work! : )

wow there is relly some level up with the material studies ! it seems you're also more thinking in terms of space and volume rather than flat surface ! keep up the practice !

Zorrentos -I certainly made a conscious effort to improve on the quality and the idea of reflection really made the difference i believe.Thank for the kind word always good to see thing paying off.

[b][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]wld.89-Yes i forced myself out of the 2d design but it is necessary as a design to practice both 2d and 3d for time sake alot more can be solve without having to deal with foreshorten and perspective.Right now i am getting us to playing with different type of perspective to see what there best for. [b][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Thank for coming by and dropping a comment.[/font][/b][/b][/font]

Aside from that i want to work on getting more visual interest in my work apart from texture so i want to practice some pattern and ornament.

My Sketchbook
Digging the material work. Wondering if maybe introducing some harder edges might help stop some of those objects feel overly soft. Especially on the metal.
(02-27-2021, 08:05 AM)Eny Wrote: Digging the material work. Wondering if maybe introducing some harder edges might help stop some of those objects feel overly soft. Especially on the metal.
Would you mind demonstrate with a paint over because i can't visualize what you mean exactly. Even if i am aware of concept such as edge it not something i am really actively thinking about alot. Thank you for the comment in any case.

My Sketchbook
Yeah no problem. It's quick, but hopefully it'll be useful.

Keep in mind that most texture brushes are soft brushes like the airbrush, so if you want to vary your edges you might have to go in manually with a hard round brush to reinforced those textures on forms that are closer to us or materials that tend to be really reflective. So for example, an easy way to implement hard edges on this would be to introduce them in the highlights where the light is most concentrated.

Attached Files Image(s)

Eny-

Oh yeah clearly i should have took more time to think of the plane change minesimply doesn't translate to the right plane change.I hope i will be able to apply this concept to a better degree in the future.

My Sketchbook
Quick silhouette of lantern and lock to expand my design skill to create stronger silhouette.I still feel like i need to be making than just 6 idea per object prompt since the art field i want to be in is about being able to create load of iteration and 6 seem rather low and doesn't go far enough in my opinion to present enough visual solution to a given visual problem.Even if it fun to be changing subject often held myself to the idea that sometime you just have to design ton of stuff that aren't generally that interesting to me and it just part of the job to make the client happy because else that not gonna give me much job security.Trying to move toward 8 or 12 iteration per subject.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Been a while since I checked here, awesome to see you're really digging into the prop stuff, it looks like a great way to learn design for all kinds of art! I'm looking forward to seeing where you take it!

Doing 6, 8, 20 iterations; I guess it's a kind of 'creative stamina', at a certain point you run out of new combinations of shapes to try and are just spinning your wheels. Definitely good to set a goal and hit the 8 or whatever, I guess it's like weight and reps at the gym!

I have no idea about this course, am not recommending it or anything, but I watched the preview of Part 5 of the 'Furniture' chapter recently and he's doing a load of thumbnail design ideas. Might be good to give an idea of what a pro thinks is 'enough'. https://www.udemy.com/course/prop-design...shop-2020/

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453
(03-02-2021, 11:35 PM)JyonnyNovice Wrote: Been a while since I checked here, awesome to see you're really digging into the prop stuff, it looks like a great way to learn design for all kinds of art! I'm looking forward to seeing where you take it!

Doing 6, 8, 20 iterations; I guess it's a kind of 'creative stamina', at a certain point you run out of new combinations of shapes to try and are just spinning your wheels. Definitely good to set a goal and hit the 8 or whatever, I guess it's like weight and reps at the gym!

I have no idea about this course, am not recommending it or anything, but I watched the preview of Part 5 of the 'Furniture' chapter recently and he's doing a load of thumbnail design ideas. Might be good to give an idea of what a pro thinks is 'enough'. https://www.udemy.com/course/prop-design...shop-2020/
Thank for coming by i already knew about this course there no big secret to prop design when you know the principle of design.But it certainly not about pretty image as much as other realm of art but rather following your guideline (subject matter) and find way to be able to always stay in the fine line between something familiar and something original will still providing enough option in a relatively quick manner.I have actually come up with the number base on The fundamental of design by tyler edlin.

My Sketchbook
I lost my focus which was to design pickaxe here so i kinda let myself down on that.. so anyways i end up copying some icon and work on value i guess... not really sure what been achieve.

There also an error in one of the pick which make it seem like the pickaxed would fly off as soon as it would be swing around.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
not bad iterations ! number 3 is a bit boring imo, don't hesitate to play with different handle shapes, ask yourself who is actually using the pickaxe ? a human ? alien ? orc ? Dwarf ? those have different hands dimensions and might use the pickaxe in different ways, try to show it into the design !

(03-04-2021, 08:12 PM)wld.89 Wrote: not bad iterations ! number 3 is a bit boring imo, don't hesitate to play with different handle shapes, ask yourself who is actually using the pickaxe ? a human ? alien ? orc ? Dwarf ? those have different hands dimensions and might use the pickaxe in different ways, try to show it into the design !
It seem like you forgot to read the description that came with the post those are not my design.So even if what you said is valid it mostly the handle shape need to be clear since in the context they would be seen at a smaller scale they need to read clearly.Any how you have a point that design should reflect who use those item i personally struggle right no to give myself the permission to design specific rather than generic item and this in return might make for some pretty boring design but something the imagination just get let loose and something original get made.

I think i will do some random shape and try to turn them into something just to try to open my creativity in the day to come.

My Sketchbook
Really nice updates here. I really dig those lantern shapes/icons, they all have such interesting silhouettes, very impressive!

(03-13-2021, 04:27 AM)cgmythology Wrote: Really nice updates here.  I really dig those lantern shapes/icons, they all have such interesting silhouettes, very impressive!
Yes they where certainly fun and i think it transpire.

My Sketchbook
So i been trying this CG cookie exercise.I think i can say most of them read as gold to me.

You can find the exercise here if you want to try doing the same.
https://cgcookie.com/exercise/exercise-21-golden

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook