Sketchbook Drabbles
So here's my stuff. It's crap, I know.

Current thing I'm working on. I have two things going for it; one being inked, and one trying to do a semi-lineless paint. Flipped the canvas so I can spot the issues. I know there's more in there.

Feeeeet. I need to study them!
[Image: jjdi.gif]
I've been obsessing over color theory as of late when it comes to skin tones.

Does the rule of warm base, cool shadow still apply to darker skinned complexions? Because purple can be used as both a warm and a cool, last I remember.

[Image: ghlq.png]
shadows depends on the environment and light conditions. Cool shadows apply more to outdoor (because of the blue sky working as filling light) , warm to indoor where filling light is an light reflected by walls. There's no fixed rule I recommend read Color & Light by James Gurney http://www.amazon.co.uk/Color-Light-Guid...olor+light

I'd definitely second getting James Gurneys 'Color & Light' book. One of the best books I've bought in a long while.

I definitely need to get that book. I saw it on Amazon last month, and I near about died. <3

Anyway, did some more sketches this past weekend. Saw a book on perspective that I need to pick up as well. Also, a value sketch, and semi-concept work for a friend's character.

[Image: sketchbook2a_zpsf7a4ec94.png]
One step forward, two steps back.

I think I'm missing the point when it comes to lighting. Once I think I get the planes of the face down, then I lose sight of everything else.

Redlines/paintovers would be very much appreciated here.

[Image: lighting_zps271ccff8.png]
Oh, hello! Been a very long time. Ahem.

So just some sketches, and things.

[Image: ebb_and_flow_by_voiceinsight-d998nga.png]
[Image: screen_shot_2015_09_18_at_10_44_01_am_by...9a0pck.png][Image: practice_by_voiceinsight-d9a2flg.png]
Really interesting work here-- I really like the woman. It's moody and stylistic. Grin

Sketchblag

Join our Study Group: The Velvet Revolvers!  Let's work hard together!
Been busy on the doodling front. I feel awful because I feel stuck in a "style" and I want to break out of it. Attempted self portrait

Character design doodle

Gift for a few friends of mine.

The group picture I want to work on some more. But I'm not sure if there are any glaring problems in terms of body positions.

Critique much appreciated on any of them.

Speedpaint. 30 minutes.
More sketches. Made a new brush that fits how I like using pencils and shading in Painter.

Ctrl paint has some helpful tutorials on rendering, light/value, and color. Draw lots and draw everything!

Sketchbook 1   -    Sketchbook 2   -   Tumblr
Welcome!

First thing I would suggest is to loosen up the lines.

Even though cartoon styles use line, it's not just an outline. You need to consider how people use line to represent a 3-Dimensional form as a 2D image. i.e. a Line represents an Edge in 3-Dimensional space. The more prominent the line, the harder the edge. Maybe take in some still life studies to explore this.

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Discord: emnida
(10-06-2015, 06:03 AM)RottenPocket Wrote: Welcome!

First thing I would suggest is to loosen up the lines.

Even though cartoon styles use line, it's not just an outline. You need to consider how people use line to represent a 3-Dimensional form as a 2D image. i.e. a Line represents an Edge in 3-Dimensional space.  The more prominent the line, the harder the edge. Maybe take in some still life studies to explore this.

Thank you!

I admit, I felt a bit confused at first when you said about loosening up my lines. But then upon reading further, now it makes some sense.
Warm up doodle of a bamboo plant I have. Kinda wish I hadn't done it in the corner. Might redo it later.

(09-23-2015, 04:56 AM)Azuli Wrote: Been busy on the doodling front. I feel awful because I feel stuck in a "style" and I want to break out of it. Attempted self portrait
Heya Azuli, how's it goin'!?
I read what you wrote about feeling stuck in a style and I feel like brain farting some stuff that I think will help you --  I want you to know to just continue drawing ^ ^' ! "Style" tends to be influenced most by, well, your influences and everything that you've learned so far in your life. It's more of a cultivation of what you find aesthetically pleasing in say: art, music, nature, people, etc. as well as your experiences leading up to this day.
The way to "break out of a style" is more a question of developing and enhancing naturally as you study the fundamentals of art, don't try and fight it when you work from imagination, believe me. It'll stiffen up your work and could possibly lose inspiration to draw and want to get improve.

Also, that pot above - the edges are a little soft. Think about what you're observing - a solid object like a pot would have harder edges. The bamboo in the pot would also have harder edges. However, if the pot was filled with flowers, try to think about the texture and _feel_ of what a flower petal feels like. You can play around with this idea and make the flower petals edges a variation between soft and hard.
I thought I would give some feedback about edge control because it is an element in painting _and_ drawing that tends to be overlooked.
Here is an article for further reading, it's fantastic:
http://muddycolors.blogspot.com.br/2015/...s.html?m=0

All the best and keep it up, I would love to see more stuff in here! I feel you could make a killer artist if you keep at it!!

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
Nice start as Smrr said don't worry too much about the style thing, just focus on studying what you see.

Anyway yeah your stuff is missing alot of form and it's really soft.

I think Istebrak and Sycra have some great lighting and form tutorials you should dig up and doing form studies like this http://pre09.deviantart.net/470c/th/pre/...8utim8.png or an example of Istebraks here http://orig14.deviantart.net/c3ac/f/2014...7a36zb.jpg
helped me out alot, plus it's suprisingly addicting XD.
edit: https://youtu.be/UydvG6Kf8bg heres the tutorial from istebrak

Also it's a bit mundane but doing simple shape drawings in perspective helps alot with form as well, like drawing see through cylinders and cubes and the like, when it really comes down to it you're trying to simplify the body down into that anyway, trying to draw a gradually rotating cube for example is actually kind of challenging.

Good luck and keep drawing ;)

smrr
(09-23-2015, 04:56 AM)Azuli Wrote: Been busy on the doodling front. I feel awful because I feel stuck in a "style" and I want to break out of it. Attempted self portrait
Heya Azuli, how's it goin'!?
I read what you wrote about feeling stuck in a style and I feel like brain farting some stuff that I think will help you --  I want you to know to just continue drawing ^ ^' ! "Style" tends to be influenced most by, well, your influences and everything that you'velearned so far in your life. It's more of a cultivation of what you find aesthetically pleasing in say: art, music, nature, people, etc. as well as your experiences leading up to this day.
[quote pid='90442' dateline='1444276617']
The way to "break out of a style" is more a question of developing and enhancing naturally as you study the fundamentals of art, don't try and fight it when you work from imagination, believe me. It'll stiffen up your work and could possibly lose inspiration to draw and want to get improve.

Also, that pot above - the edges are a little soft. Think about what you're observing - a solid object like a pot would have harder edges. The bamboo in the pot would also have harder edges. However, if the pot was filled with flowers, try to think about the texture and _feel_ of what a flower petal feels like. You can play around with this idea and make the flower petals edges a variation between soft and hard.
I thought I would give some feedback about edge control because it is an element in painting _and_ drawing that tends to be overlooked.
Here is an article for further reading, it's fantastic:
http://muddycolors.blogspot.com.br/2015/...s.html?m=0

All the best and keep it up, I would love to see more stuff in here! I feel you could make a killer artist if you keep at it!!
[/quote]

(10-10-2015, 01:41 AM)Triggerpigking Wrote: Nice start as Smrr said don't worry too much about the style thing, just focus on studying what you see.

Anyway yeah your stuff is missing alot of form and it's really soft.

I think Istebrak and Sycra have some great lighting and form tutorials you should dig up and doing form studies like this http://pre09.deviantart.net/470c/th/pre/...8utim8.png or an example of Istebraks here http://orig14.deviantart.net/c3ac/f/2014...7a36zb.jpg
helped me out alot, plus it's suprisingly addicting XD.
edit: https://youtu.be/UydvG6Kf8bg heres the tutorial from istebrak

Also it's a bit mundane but doing simple shape drawings in perspective helps alot with form as well, like drawing see through cylinders and cubes and the like, when it really comes down to it you're trying to simplify the body down into that anyway, trying to draw a gradually rotating cube for example is actually kind of challenging.

Good luck and keep drawing ;)

Thank you both for that! ^-^ I'm gonna definitely check out the videos when I get a chance!

I'm thinking I have issues with lines and hard edges on a whole that trying to "paint" gets lost with me.

Like this, for example!

Also, wanting to try out a new program. Felt like I was fighting it more than working with it. Sketchy lines/chickenscratch is just that. 

Been in a funk all week. And it takes "Holding Back the Years" to get it[and a drawing] out of me. What the hell...
I hate when life (and not-good-kinda-funky mood) gets in the way. -.-

Clothing folds! (also, WIP of one of my characters dressed up as Henry from No More Heroes. I like his style a lot. Don't judge me.)

Also, doodle.