missimoinsane digital painting improvements :3
Update. WIP 2 - Deep Down (Fan Art) - 13hours thus far!!
[Image: wip_deep_down___2_by_missimoinsane-d6ivzm1.jpg]

© missimoinsane:  Daggers Sketchbook  |  deviantART  |  Facebook Page  |  Personal Webpage 
Shocked 
PREVIEW>>> THIS IMAGE IS NOT FINISHED. STILL A DRAGON TO DO AND FINISH THE BACKGROUND...
...AND ADD FINAL DETAILS AND SUCH BLAH BLAH BLAH!! <<PREVIEW

[Image: preview__deep_down__preview_by_missimoin...6iwabj.jpg]

mii

© missimoinsane:  Daggers Sketchbook  |  deviantART  |  Facebook Page  |  Personal Webpage 
dang lower layers count as i said or group some layers
Damn girl working hard =) how inspiring

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Hey there's not actually that many layers I think it says something like 138 layers but there's only about 20-25 lol. Most of them are sketches, lighting lines, grids, masks (such as black and saturation) and guides lol... But thank you for what you said. Compared to normal this is considerably less layers than I usually use.

- If there's only one thing I learned from getting my First Diploma in Art and Design is that working on multiple layers is always beneficial. Even when it comes to traditional art. We were taught with paper and a light box and we had to keep refining our sketches and outlines so that our originals could be much more lose and our end sketches much more refined. We also learned how to use tracing paper as an over lay to see things like where you wanted to put details, light sources and such forth. Bringing that through to digital art is simply - work on layers!! I know there are people who don't but even so this piece is made up of about 10 none relevant layers.

Exclamation 
Finished the Fan Art from Deep Down. Thought I'd show the print screen references too!!

Total time - apx 23-24hours. CS5. Brushes are CS5 and downloaded brushes from dA's DanLuVisiArt. Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch.

[Image: deepdownreference_by_missimoinsane-d6iz2g8.jpg]

Finished Piece:

[Image: _fan_art__deep_down_by_missimoinsane-d6iz2fz.jpg]

Not sure what to do next... lol...

Started something new :3
This one is more of a play around personal work than a commission!!

Not much to say I photomanipulated this stock... http://mandytrimm.deviantart.com/art/Man...-394601761 ...by *MandyTrimm (deviantART)... and then redrew it to create a sketchy line art. I've now started painting it in.

CS5. CS5 Brushes only thus far. 3-4hours on and off!! Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch.

[Image: wip_frail_by_missimoinsane-d6j1qti.jpg]

A small critique on your latest finished piece would be that because the dragon and the character are almost equally detailed, they are both kind of fighting for the attention of the viewer, normally because the camera is so close to the action it would focus on one thing, like in your references the character in the foreground is blurred and the dragon has the focus which helps sell the depth. So by picking which main element is your focus (for example the Character) if you slightly blur mid-ground and background behind that it will make the piece look more realistic, but yeah I can see you definitely improved from the first page, and welcome to the forums! :D

Sketchbook | Deviantart | Blog

"The difficulties of not knowing are much greater than the effort of learning"
Hey Egbu,

Thank you for your comment :D I do feel like the dragon was over detailed but the more I tried to tone it down the more it looked like I'd just copied the original onto my canvas, blurred it and cut it to size. Not good. But I'll definitely keep that in mind and thank you for the compliments on my improving too. I do hope to continue to improve and I'm loving my time here thus far. Thank you for the welcome and I look forward to seeing you around :)

mii

Ok so I'm genuinely not happy with this. I just feel I've gone back to same old same old. I've now spent the best part of 15hours!! Just trying to get the skin right and it's not finished. Faffing about. I don't think the lips look right when zoomed out. I really don't like how it's coming along. The ear is ok. The hair is just a base. Not sure on the eyebrows at all. Haven't even made a start on the arm and hand yet. Can't get the head piece to look right. The gem stone is just awful looks like it's floating. And generally everything looks too bright.. (out door scene) but if I make it any darker it just makes the whole piece look deformed. I do like the teeth and I think the eyes are ok. But over all just not happy with it. I feel so disappointed in myself after the progress I felt I was making and now this rubbish. Someone help me? Please!!? ~ I feel so sad.

CS5. CS5 Brushes only thus far. Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch.

[Image: wip_frail_2_by_missimoinsane-d6j84jn.jpg]

I don't feel super qualified to critique anybody's work, but a suggestion I would offer would be to introduce more colors to the skin tone. If you look closely at your source photo, there's other color tones in the skin that would provide richer depth in the portrait.

I know your frustration very well. Coming off of a success with something that disappoints you can be crippling, but keep pushing through it and don't let it get you down too much.

I'm impressed with the amount of work you put in to your pieces and your support of other artists in this community! Keep working, you're doing great!

Hello,

The source was just for line art purposes I'm not using that as a colour pallet as the stock photo was taken indoors (with different angled lighting) and what I am working on is something out doors. I have been looking at other colour references for out doors skin colours but they're just not working for me with this piece.

I like to try and be helpful. I don't like taking other peoples advice and letting others struggle. So I'm trying to do my bit too :P but I am possibly putting too much time into my art. I've got things I've been saying for day's I will do (and haven't done) I'm disabled and as a result of which find it difficult day to day and spend a lot of time in bed or generally on my laptop... which is a bonus for art making time, not so much for craft making time and definitely not for social interaction (offline) lol.

I digress. I'm going to keep working on this piece. Since posting up the WIP2 I've made a rather good (if I say so myself) start on the hair which has given me a nice break from fussing over the skin lol. I'm thinking perhaps changing my brush and seeing what a different brush and colours could do for me - thank you for your input.

mii

Ps. You don't have to be amazing at any subject to give constructive criticism and thoughts!! It's always appreciated and thank you very much for that :D :D

Star 
Thinking I feel so utterly disappointed in myself.
I've gone from trying so hard and making small improvements to trying even harder and producing yet the same crap. I don't know how to feel about this any more. Not in a good place with my art. No idea how to fix things any more. I listen, I read, I watch, I make notes, I do... and no. Pathetic really.

23hours later. Not happy. CS5. CS5 Brushes, downloaded from `DanLuVisiArt, given by ~toxicpanda and some from ImageFX DVD's and some from I don't know where (sorry). Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch.. Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch.

[Image: frail_by_missimoinsane-d6jaec3.jpg]

[Image: frail2_by_missimoinsane-d6jagp7.jpg]

mii

You say that you are disappointed but each piece should make you proud it a effort it from you and it a learning step in the way to sucess.See mistake as a way to improve something.(you don't need to be perfect ).Also i don't see why you should be disappointed this a bad attitude that leave scar on you're self esteem it self destructive. RELAX.There is a lot of thing that you can learn you dont need to focus on something specific.
I Also think you should watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiAL7S4OMMw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAGcQXc7O3Y

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Hey darktiste,

Thank you for your words, I have calmed down some what now and watched the videos (plus others by the same YT user). Thank you for that. I am taking a break and in doing so working out other things in my life that need to be resolved and trying to get back into a good mind set and find some inner peace lol - oh dear. That said I've done the odd bit of crafting this past few days and been reorganising my craft room as well as doing some more stuff in the house and generally sitting back and looking at other work or more to the point others working... livestream/youtube. I'm not sure if it helps. But I'm now looking at what I created in a more positive mind set. Such as "well the hair is impressive, the lines are not too shoddy, the lighting could definitely be better, the closest eye should be brighter, there should be more contrast, she should look more like she's in the scene and not pasted over the top of one... that sort of thing. " ~ So being able to actually pick fault with my work and know what's wrong and not just be all RARRRRR I think is better. But thank you very much for putting up with me and as always your lovely advice :) Take care and hope to hear from you soon :)

Imogen x

If you haven't seen my kitten forum post then I'm redoing that awful kitten. Just using CS5 brush #6. With the exception of lineart the following two WIPs were taken at 30 minutes and 1 hours. I feel I am now rather stuck for how to progress. I know I still have the wings and background to do. But I'm still rather indecisive about them ~ right now I'm working on the kitten but not sure how to improve on what I have done below. Thoughts?? (other than; "it's better than the first version lol")

[Image: wip_do_over__kitty_wings_by_missimoinsane-d6jo1v5.jpg]

[Image: wip_do_over__kitty_wings_wip2_by_missimo...6joslv.jpg]

Thank you Toxicpanda for your wonderful wonderful assistance... I hope I did good with what you taught me. Your teaching was wonderful it's my doing that's not so good. But massive improvement and I am over the moon with how this turned out. It's an improvement :D :D hehe

Time apx 4 hours all together. | Brush's - mainly CS5 but some from *T00xicpanda which she was very kind in giving me. | Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch. | Photoshop CS5

[Image: kitty_bubbles_by_missimoinsane-d6jqg5j.jpg]

Please Read Below Image

[Image: frail_revisit_do_over_by_missimoinsane-d6juslg.jpg]

So I'm not particularly very happy with how this turned out originally so thought I'd have a play about and see if I couldn't change a few things!!

BEFORE & AFTER (WIP)
WIP 1: Full View
WIP 2: Face Close Up
WIP 3: Flip Image
WIP 4: Desaturated Imaged (Black and White)

you have great productivity here , always cool to see other's work. you got great creativity too :). thx for sharing your screen with us.

Still working on this improvement progression stuff. So... It's a massive improvement for only 6-7 hours of work. But now I'm beyond the point where I can't go any further... And so stopping here, I think. But I'm pleased with it... and I feel I'm on the right lines (well I hope I am, thoughts?)

Photoshop CS5 | CS5 Brushes, downloaded brushes from dA's `DanLuVisiArt and some given brushes from dA's *T00xicpanda | Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch | No reference, my own character sketch :D

[Image: beautiful_siren_progression_by_missimoin...6jx1cp.jpg]

[Image: beautiful_siren_by_missimoinsane-d6jx0ql.jpg]

Thoughts? ~ mii

(08-27-2013, 08:09 PM)florentK Wrote: you have great productivity here , always cool to see other's work. you got great creativity too :). thx for sharing your screen with us.

Thank you very much florentK; for your lovely comment :) I am honestly trying to improve and people here have been such a massive help hehe :D :D ~ Thank you for looking!! :3

[Image: harpy_wip_by_missimoinsane-d6jxvkp.jpg]

Harpy Sketch WIP

I'm thinking of doing her on the edge of a cliff. (I have done a mock background but not too sure about it). Anyways 2 hours of sketching and line art later and I thought I'd share what I came up with. The stock (reference) image is http://mjranum-stock.deviantart.com/art/...e-53103496 by mjranum-stock on deviantART.

Thoughts???

CS5 | Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch | Just CS5 brushes.