Samarus learns to draw
Hai !
So here it is : my sketchbook.
From the beginning (around june 2013) to ... who knows?
I'll post most of what I've done until today, and then I'll post what I do everyday.
My goal is to improve as much as I can. I'm trying to learn everything as I don't know much as of yet.
This means lots of studies about anatomy, colors, etc... but you can't reach the top without blood, sweat and tears right?
So let's go !

Starting with 30 sec poses and bammes studies from june.

Me again !

Sorry for the bad quality. My firsts scans were not good due to my lack of scanning skills I guess, but I fixed it later (I think)

So here's part 2 of june
From the 8th the 11th.

In the followings, I tried colors but I have some serious problems that I have to work on.

Okay, here's part 3 for the month of June.

This is when i started focusing less on the quantity and really more on the quality, trying to learn as much as possible from every study.

In the first one I tried to use movie snaps to get a better grasp on colors. Movie stills studies I guess.

And here is the last ones from June.
Got lazy so I didn't scan everything but it doesn't matter because I still have many more to come.

Seeing these again makes me feel bad for being so lazy, but I'm working on it !

and something I did to see if I had learn something.
Again, these aren't the best proofs that I'm working hard, sorry .

Attached Files Image(s)

Keep doing those studies and gestures. They will be seriously beneficial. Nice start though, keep updating!

@Zachary McLean : Yeah, you're right ! I enjoy doing studies a lot because it helps me understand many things and i like learning. The poses were quite challenging at the beginning, but now i understand how useful they can be and I try to enjoy them as much as possible.
Thanks !

So here's what i gathered from July.
I haven't scanned everything, but I'll try to post the rest tomorrow.
SO here, have some more studies and various doodles from imagination, still trying to understand colors .

Ref'd :

I did the lady on this one:

Attached Files Image(s)

Really good skill and imagination on that skull guy lit from within. Nice environment work, too.

Sketchbook

@Tygerson : Thanks !

So here are my traditionnal works from july and august. Sorry for the quality but I couldn't scan the sketchbook.
There are many Bammes studies, some vanderpoel's, 60 sec poses and lot of imagination work. Also lot of portraits. Trying to tackle my weaknesses and all.

Sup !

Didn't do much yesterday because of not cool stuff happening and all, but whatever.
Woke up earlier to work today, gotta work harder to succeed ! :D

Anyway, yesterday's stuff : Hands !
Tried some bridgman studies but I don't think I understand him well enough yet so I tried to study from pictures instead. Will try more bridgman today. Gotta understand. Gotta learn !

Enjoy !

Hai !
Yesterday's batch !
Yeah, so some more 30 sec poses, hands and faces. Also tried full body as I haven't done much in a while. Noticed I didn't know how to legs anymore. Well, not as well as I thought so I'll have to to more some time soon. Also notice that I got slightly better at faces. And that I seriously need a proper place to draw.
And shading is fun. I'm trying to start with values and all. Funny how I like pencils while I hated them a few years back.
Still have to seriously work on my proportions and I will definitely have to tackle my worst weakness : colors and values. So scary D:

Hey friends !
Still going traditional !
Here's what I did yesterday (a bit late, I know).
Still slightly disappointed to see I forgot how to legs. Didn't spend enough time on it but at least now I know I must practice what I think I know as much as what I'm learning at the moment.
Tomorrow I'll post what I did today (sounds logical enough) and then I'll do some digi doodle. Been a long time, my wacom's starting to feel lonely. And I still need to work on colors and lighting.
Anyway, here it is !

Good stuff! I like that you are focusing on the underlying structure before jumping into color, and lighting. Couple years back I tried jumping into color and lighting, thinking my foundation was strong enough....I was SOOO wrong. Just started getting back into color recently.

I am sure you've seen Feng's videos, but I would suggest taking a look at the videos where he talks about, and demonstrates the "draw through" method, where you break things down into perspective. Observation is a great way to study, but understanding the forms without having to view them is tremendously helpful.

Keep at it!

Hai guys !

@brianjohnson : Thanks mate !
yeah, I really want to be good but I know I have to start with the basics so I want to make that I know them before getting into colors and all. Also I admit that I don't feel confident enough to use color right now, but that's one of my weaknesses and I'm definitely going to work on it !
Thanks for your advice, I'll watch it again!
Feng's always an inspiration. And I have to work hard to reach his level, but I will.
:)

Okay, so today wasn't really a good day, and I wasn't able to do much, so I'll just post yesterday's stuff and work harder tomorrow.
Enjoy those studies and some poor try at drawing faces from references (also self portrait, so you will "see" my face).
I sooooo need to work on proportions !

Hey Samarus! Great progess! :D I'm also 23 and dying to improve my art. Definitely going to keep an eye on this thread!
Hai guyz !

@jameshodgart : Hey man ! Thanks a bunch :D Hey, that's awesome ! I'll take a look at your sketchbook sometimes, just keep working hard and we're all gonna make it ;)
Good luck and good work friend !

Anyway, sorry for the lack of post those days. I had some problems that had to be dealt with, so it was not really a good week. But hey, gotta art ! So I did, not as much as I wanted, but I did. I'll post everything later.
For now, I decided to dedicate this week to colors and light. So basically this is my colorweek.

Here's what I did so far :
Movie still study,

picture studies

and one speedpaint from skype CD.Subject was Animal king. It was supposed to be a 40 min speed but I had to do it all over again because of not satisfied. Find this one better, but not good enough yet.

Anyway, learning a lot about colors ! So awesome !

Hey nice people !
Okay so a bit busy today but I manage to continue my colorweek a bit.
So I did a speedpainting first to get better at brush economy and focus on the essential parts of the drawing. Subject was "A blind eyed entity decapitates a man in an apocalyptic landscape." -40 min
I like the result even if it's still far from good yet.

Learn a few things with it anyway :D

Next, a monster head. Didn't know what to do so I had a bit of fun because I like the colors of the first one.
This one's kinda meh.

Then some more hands to practice skin tones and... well, hands.
Love these, learning so much with these hands ! I want to do so much more. Probably do some feets too.

Yeah, they are quite quick as I'm getting a bit better at hands. The hard part really is the colors. But getting better !

And finally a last speedpainting. Really disappointed. I had no inspiration and no real idea for it, and it shows. But I'll learn to it properly, I swear. Still, a good thing to do.
Subject : "A melancholic scarecrow communicates with a viking in a forest in autumn." 40 min

Sup' !
Long time no see.
Sorry guys, I got really busy, and also I had some motivation issues and other personnal stuff going on so I didn't do much for about a week or so, but I kept drawing, and doing some little studies here and there when I could. You know, just to keep it going.
Anyway, started working seriously again this week, so I'm gonna dump the few thing I did while I was gone. Not much (only digital cuz I'm a lazy sonof- ... hum, guy) but hey, still !

So ! First, line practice : I have to work on that, my lines suck atm : /

Few other random practices :
face

random stuff

faces again, and colors

Hands and gem thingy

And finally, did some paintings to focus on full drawings, from line to colors, because I seriously need to practice all of this.

And my last piece, which makes me proud atm

So yeah, I'm practicing "full" pieces to use what I've learned and see what I need to practice more. It seems to be working quite well for now, but I have to learn more and get better, so that's what I'm gonna do.
Have a good day guys, and thanks for stopping by.
Expect more regular updates now :)

Attached Files Image(s)

Sup' guys !
Been busy recently. Inspiration's back, flowing like an angry ... flowing stuff. Like, real big and, angry you know? Anyway, been working on a few piece, practicing different things and learning a lot. I finally feel like I've made some progress. Not the level I want to reach yet, but still something right? So yeah, tried some "concept" and working on some things for Halloween (which will take some time I think). Also, I try to tackle my weaknesses as hard as I can.
So, gnomes concept for fun (was bored so I tried more than anything else) and recent piece I just finished. Also a few studies.
Did I mentioned that I received my first charcoals? Been waiting to try that for a while now so I'm really happy. Gotta practice a lot to master that new tool, but it seems like lots of fun !
Anyway, here comes the art !

Tomorrow, we draw faces and bodies !

I see improvement since your first post, Samarus :D

At first, the things you painted from imagination reminded me of algenpfleger... but then... BOOM, CREATURES AND HORNS AND SKULLS?! OH MY xD
I must say, that green piece with the wisps around the focal dude is wicked! Cool idea ~

I would say try and work on your understanding of the basic forms.

Keep up the hard work-!

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
Hi hi !
How you doing guys?
Smrrfette : Thanks a lot ! makes me all warm and fuzzy inside ^^
Yeah, I was (and still am) really inspired by Algenpfleger but also Dave Rapoza ( I swear I'll meet them someday) so I guess it shows a little when I draw.
Thanks for your kind words, they are much needed these past days, and advices are always good :)

So, very little to show you because I'm a goddamn lazy sonuv- guy who can't scan his sketchbook. I'll do something about it soon though, cuz you have the right to see my crappy sketches :)
Still, here are some spitpaintings and my obligatory halloween piece (which I'm very proud of for now).
Learning so much right now, eventhough I don't seem to produce as much work as I used to. Strange. I guess I finally understand how to study properly.

Illusionist 30min :

Dirty Chef 30min :

Underwater police + Plasma rifle 30min :

Halloween rider :

Enjoy, have fun guys.

That last painting is one of your the best, if not your best painting yet, and the dirty chef spitpaint is good as well. In terms of crits, I would say I agree with smrrfette on the forms, but yeah, really impressed, keep it uuuuuuuup :D

Sketchbook | Deviantart | Blog

"The difficulties of not knowing are much greater than the effort of learning"