Pablonotpicasso's Little Sketchbook O' Fun
Ok, so I'm starting to get more serious with art, and was advised by an artist I greatly admire to start a sketcbook thread on here. For some background, I'm starting the Art Department's Entertainment Design program, and before that I just basically messed around in high school. So yeah, I'll be posting school assignments, personal work, and just general steps I take to improve. Critiques are very welcome and appreciated.

First off's just a batch of personal things from the last year or so. Creatures, an environment, a portrait of a friend, and the one high school art assignment that I'm not completely ashamed of. I realize I'm lacking seriously in terms of fundamentals, so that'll be where the majority of my time and energy is going to go for the foreseeable future. With my rambling out of the way, I'll get to the art (using that term very loosely here).

Welcome to the forum! Judging by your work, you've got patience and attention to detail (things I'd like to have more of.)

There are tons of great links in the resources section of the forum. I found looking at other people's work, livestreams, and tutorials here to be incredibly helpful. Best of luck to you!

Nice creatures! Your stuff reminds me a lot of men in black designs. Great stuff! How do you come up with that?
Your landscapes seem to need a little more work (if compared to your creatures) you should post more landscapes, so you can get more feedback about it.

keep it up, man! Great stuff!

DeLeonxxx- Thanks, man! I wouldn't say I have patience so much as I can get obsessed over little details and they bother me to no end if not done right. I've been checking out the resources part of CD, definitely want to take my time and go through all of Dennis Kutsenko's links.

Rognoll- I loved the Men in Black show when I was a wee little babby, so that definitely shows through. Plus like DeLeonxxx said, looking at a lot of artists' work can get your mind going with designs, and as long as you come up with your own original work, that's a great way to get inspiration. I agree with you though, I need to be less intimidated by landscapes and improve there. I'm currently doing landscape studies in gouache both from life and from photos, that seems to help a bit. I'lll post those here once I have a decent amount.

Alright, here are some assignments for school. Figure silhouettes and sketchbook studies of objects. Also just finished a photo study, trying both to get a better understanding of environments and become bolder with my brush work digitally.

Attached Files Image(s)

Cool concepts, escpecially the one where the guys face turns into an abomination.
I'd love to see more so keep it up.

Man, you've got this!

Fantastic start to your sketchbook, it'll be so much fun to watch you blossom into a beautiful... butt-kicking-butterflyyyyy へ(゜∇、°)へ

Looking forward to more!

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
Final photo study of the day.Realizing that it's not just about copying what you see, but understanding how light and perspective combine to give you the sense that something exists in space and fades back. Looooooooong way to go, but it's a start.

Attached Files Image(s)

One more time with feeling: another photo study, trying to get a handle on ways to quickly suggest rocks and waves.

Attached Files Image(s)

Final photostudy of the day. Developed this one a bit farther, really starting to get a grip on light and atmospheric effects.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey Pablo,

What an interesting concept for creating unusual beings you have!! Wonderful!! I'm really enjoying your work thus far and really look forward to more from you... I can't wait to watch you grow and see how you improve next :3

~mii

© missimoinsane:  Daggers Sketchbook  |  deviantART  |  Facebook Page  |  Personal Webpage 
crackedskull- Thanks! I'm planning on cranking away with studies and anatomy work for at least a few weeks, but I'll definitely throw in some personal pieces. Need to have fun with this, after all.

smrrfette- Digging the motivation, thanks!

missimoinsane- Thank you! I do have fun with the stuff I draw, but now that I'm in school I've realized I need to go hardcore with trying to improve my fundamentals, so when I do go back to personal work, it'll be all the better.

And here's a Moran study from today. I think I'll try a balance of master studies and photo studies to improve my cruddy environment abilities.

Attached Files Image(s)

It's so nice too see such a positive attitude. I hope school goes well. Remember to have fun though. As too much hardcore work can get you bogged down. Perhaps take a couple of hours on a weekend just to do something fun. :) I wish you luck and I look forward to where you go from here. Great stuff. ~mii

© missimoinsane:  Daggers Sketchbook  |  deviantART  |  Facebook Page  |  Personal Webpage 
I have an idea for a personal piece I want to try, but first I need to practice rocks, waves, beaches, and all that from photo studies. Who needs to go outside when you can stare at your monitor and just pretend you're there! Back to work...

Attached Files Image(s)

Mech design done in between school assignments. Need a lot more practice with hard surface forms...

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice stuff in here! Keep on truckin'!

Sublimus- Thanks, man! I'll keep cranking out the work!

Here's a personal piece, a relatively quick character that showed me I don't know jack about proper lighting on a torso. Or anywhere on a body for that matter. More studies are needed there as well.

Attached Files Image(s)

Been a while since I posted in here, course load got heavy for a bit. Here's another enviro study from a photo to wrap up the night. Tried going a bit more analytical with this one; I paid attention to the temperature of my lights and shadows more than I have before.

Attached Files Image(s)

Woah, kickass environment studies and work ethic Pablo!I'm glad to see another TADster here too! It was crazy seeing your silhouette assignment, I did the same thing a year ago, blast from the past XD Are you planning on going to the Winter Workshop in KC?
Seems like you're on the right track, being analytical and not merely copying what you see, and a good mix of imagination and observation too. All I can say is keep up the good work and make sure you apply what you learn from the studies :D

Ohh ya, if you haven't I really really really recommend getting in contact with your classmates and setting up a skype group to chat about assignments and stuff, my class made one and without it my TAD experience wouldn't have been even nearly as good. An IM with the classmates starts to make up for what is in my opinion the great weakness of online school, not being around people studying the same thing as you.
uuunless you're in a studio, then you're fine lol

Hey Pablo,

some interesting things in here, those creatures and colors remind me a bit of Clive Barker paintings

Also that Chicken guy really looks like he's from a nightmare where your roommate has turned into a monster, an he stares at you saying "what's wrong dude?"

keep it up