Elif's Sketchbook
Heya,

let's get started! These girls are some stuff I had lying around in my study folder (which is alarmingly empty) for some time now, the environments are done yesterday (the studies) and today (the thumbs from imagination).

Attached Files Image(s)

The female portrait looks really great! I like the lighting and the expression on her face! :)

For the landscape studies: The lighting is very good here, too, especially the mountain and the sun set look great!

For the most recent ones: Maybe try to give them more depth by adding foreground (elements), midground and background. And try to take a closer look at the values here as well!

Happy Painting and keep up that great work! ;)
Thanks! <3
Yeah, I figured that the foreground is almost totally missing in the last thumbs, gonna give this another try in a few days.

Some crappy gestures and quick movie still studies, mostly for colors.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hello there! Nice colors studies, landscapes looks really good. Only with portraits from movie frames colors doesn't look to harmonic. Skin color stand out from the background to much. Should consist more environment color to fit better. Look more for face color zones
[Image: abe-color-zone-wds.jpg]
Good luck with sketchbook! :)

Thank you! Just to be sure I attached the the refs I used for the movie portraits. Do you think I'm too far away from the original colors or do you see the same problem with the movie stills themselves?

Attached Files Image(s)

That's also true that all movies lately have the same teal/orange color filter but still you need to look for more hues on face skin. Don't pick one color and mix it only with black and white to paint. Look for reds on chicks and nose, or that his skin bright spots are as blue as fur he wear. Your portraits will gain more live if you start looking for more hues on skin :)

I totally see what you mean, thanks a lot! :)

here something that may help your improve to have better photo of your sketchbook
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJrgnxKehso

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Hehe, thanks! I know how to scan / photograph properly, I just don't think it's so important for gestures. I will surely provide better quality for more complex drawings in my sketchbooks :)

Did another movie portrait today, still working on the colors.

Attached Files Image(s)

Gah, I didn't feel too well these days, so not as much stuff as I tried to do. But well, still better than nothing I guess :)
Some more environment thumbnails from imagination, also a quick bigger enviro sketch (sorry for that crappy house & bush on the left), a quick skintone study and some pseudo-pencil poses.

Attached Files Image(s)

Faces! Some sketches from photo reference and a little thing from imagination.

Attached Files Image(s)

Thx Elif for advice. You have some really cool stuff here ! I can't wait to see where you are in a couple years from now. I like the portraits, the value range is awesome.

Hi there and thanks for the advice on faces!

Great sketchbook, great portfolio also. I think your background in archaeology and being knowledgeable in history in general is going to be a great asset for you moving forward, as being able to supplement design with reality is invaluable.

As far as advice I think you're on a good path so I can only say "Weiter so"!

Nika you're very welcome and thank you! I'll do my best to become the best I can :>

Yann.F Thanks and you're welcome, too! I agree, having a basic knowledge in historical clothing and armoury helps a lot - I have to admit, though, that I know more practical stuff from doing LARP than from my studies, but learning about these things in general helps a lot with practicable and plausible design. And yeah, danke! ;D

I only managed to do one study today, too much client work D: I figured I have to do more drapery, the dress part took me way too long.

Attached Files Image(s)

I think this is the first time I tried a pseudo-scifi-environment / concept. Based on one of the thumbnail sketches from earlier.

Attached Files Image(s)

Still working on skintones. I have a feeling that the studies get easier, but it's hard to apply stuff to my own paintings. Well, I guess I just have to keep doing more.

Attached Files Image(s)

Gosh, didn't update for almost a week... Had a lot of trouble dealing with clients and getting stuff done :/

However, here's some quick study, a 30 minute speedpaint and a private commission I just finished :) Forests everywhere!

Attached Files Image(s)

The commision looks good, maybe push the enviroment a bit more.
I think those skintones studies are paying off. Good job!

Hi, Elif! your stuff is improving a lot! Faces and colors are a pain in the ass, but you're getting all those tones down! Plus, your envirnonments are looking really good too.