First Sketchbook
Hi guys :)

I needed to conquer my fears and start a thread here... mostly to face the music that I need to produce more in order to improve consistency in my work. I know I can draw but by not drawing enough I've started to suck at drawing any of my own ideas fully (which I used to have a lot of confidence in when I was younger, even though I lacked the skills).
I would LOVE a concept art job someday but I need to regain my confidence in the above.
I got in a rut two years ago and one year ago I began to study 3D... now I have the ability to produce 3D work as well but haven't taken the time to draw in quite a while...

This thread is to encourage me to post more sketches/practices so I can apply it and eventually get back into actual 'creative' work.

Here's some of my studies/sketches from the past year to start me off. I know, it's not imaginative work, but that's my goal to achieve at some point on this thread. I'm also way more into rough stuff than polished so I thought this would be the perfect place to try to achieve this.

[Image: tumblr_mkwso8BQXq1qcuftro1_1280.jpg]
[Image: tumblr_mkuu8hJYVZ1qcuftro1_r7_1280.jpg]
[Image: tumblr_mhlcq2Osf81qcuftro1_400.jpg] [Image: tumblr_mnrr1hJe4T1qcuftro1_r1_400.jpg]
[Image: tumblr_mkhlf7xB0Z1qcuftro1_1280.jpg]
[Image: tumblr_midtjynb0w1qcuftro1_r1_400.gif]
(self-portrait)

(ohyes I sneakily found out about the sickbrush assignments through some pals and thought i would attempt some in secret... before losing time! :/ )
[Image: tumblr_mi0sja5uFd1qcuftro1_400.jpg] Click for Hi-Res
[Image: tumblr_mgy2lyiDP81qcuftro1_400.jpg] Click for Hi-Res

Hope I'm doing this right ^_^ Any tips/suggestions on what can help me move forward, much obliged. :) Also.... Hi.
Hi Lannia and welcome to CD!

Nice start to your sketchbook!

Since you're asking for tips, what strikes me is that the only full body drawing you did in all these is that bear, so i'd say doing some full body anatomy would be a nice place to start :)

Keep posting!

Aw shoot, I didn't post any! I have done some, but next post will be some anatomy/life drawings. ;) I have to fit this in between work and life so bare with me haha! Thanks though :D
Sketchbook is looking good. Look forward to seeing you post up more stuff. :)

Welcome to daggers! Im new here too. Really awesome sketchbook so far! I can relate to the whole lacking in the imaginative department. I use to draw pretty much all from imagination when I was young. Then I stopped drawing for a long time. I took some drawing classes in college and learned how to draw from reference. Now thats all I can do pretty much. You really have to bite the bullet and draw from imagination to get good at drawing from imagination.

One thing I've been doing recently is to do a page of reference sketches then on the next page try to draw the same thing from memory and change the perspective and poses a little. Its tough when all you've been doing is copying but eventually if you do it enough you'll increase your visual library.

(11-10-2013, 05:53 AM)Hypnagogic_Haze Wrote: Welcome to daggers! Im new here too. Really awesome sketchbook so far! I can relate to the whole lacking in the imaginative department. I use to draw pretty much all from imagination when I was young. Then I stopped drawing for a long time. I took some drawing classes in college and learned how to draw from reference. Now thats all I can do pretty much. You really have to bite the bullet and draw from imagination to get good at drawing from imagination.

One thing I've been doing recently is to do a page of reference sketches then on the next page try to draw the same thing from memory and change the perspective and poses a little. Its tough when all you've been doing is copying but eventually if you do it enough you'll increase your visual library.

Thanks Hypnagogic_Haze! I'll be heading over to check out your sketchbook too, sounds like we're on the same path. And that is a really awesome tip I might need to try sometime...