Complete and utter beginner...
Some nice members suggested that I start a sketchbook. I just drew poses for 30 minutes, and what was supposed to be some hands.
I took 2 minutes per pose, and one minute per hand (I didn't even try to draw both hands as the first one turned horrible enough.)

I'm convinced I'll never improve in the hand or pose department, so I'm not sure I'll keep doing these particular exercises... Maybe I need something simpler?
EDIT: Used posemaniacs for the poses after the first two pictures. I took slightly less time because of the timer but focused on only part of the pose.

[Image: pkCxCHn.jpg]
[Image: Y3IwSr2.jpg]
[Image: M1RWisl.jpg]
[Image: aqwuXA4.jpg]

First thing I notice is that you seem to be thinking in outlines, while at the same time you seem to have gotten some kind of exposure to gesture. Though for now I'm not so sure if you understand it.

Here's a video about gesture that'll be very helpful for you. Proko's a cornball, but he's legit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74HR59yFZ7Y

One more thing, your scans are a bit too light. If you can, increase the contrast to darken the lines to make them more visible.

Hiya! Hiya! Hiya!

Sketchbook | Deviantart | Tumblr
Hi Psychotime, and thank you very much for helping me out. I really appreciate it.
I watched the video and even if the guy got on my nerves, I think it helped.
I drew these poses before watching the video though, so maybe the next ones will be better.

[Image: isWiA66.jpg]
[Image: 3ic1NrK.jpg]

My scanner doesn't seem to have built-in options for contrast and brightness, so I modified the images on Photoshop. Sorry if it looks bad, to be honest I only downloaded Photoshop so that I could turn color drawings into B&W drawings (to print them).

I did start my learning path with gesture but it was frustrating because of the time limit.I was also getting the same problem thinking in term of contour instead of energy.Check this out for more info about how you can improve gesture

http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-1197.html

If you want to learn more about scanning image here a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJrgnxKeh...PNuV3skDqJ

and for the hand study the problem i can see it that you need to spend 50% looking at the drawing and 50% looking at the reference
also start to think about simplify object if you don't know what i mean let me know i will try to explain it or link you to something.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Thank you darktiste, I hope your advice will help me!
I think I should just print out some hands and practice these slowly instead, but for now I don't feel like it. I don't know why I'm struggling so much with hands haha.

I also watched your video on scanning and it was pretty helpful.
Here are some more poses. I hope that they look more dynamic!

Also, I stopped using my good 100gr printer paper for these sketches, because I'll run out too quickly if I keep going. I'm using the "bad" 80gr instead.

[Image: GiUoTKD.jpg]
[Image: FPFuqHu.jpg]

When you want explanation you prefer video or written explanation?

If you study gesture is also good to study proportion it help fix error.

Try to delete as much as possible what it not nesssary to describe the pose

Try this exercise if you want copy the image linked.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Thanks a lot for the image! I will copy it tomorrow.
I like written and video explanations, and I welcome any help and constructive criticism of course. :)
Maybe video is easier for me to imitate? I'm not sure yet, as you can all see I'm still completely new to drawing. I have everything to learn.
I might start studying a book tomorrow, if I can choose an easy one.
EDIT: Here's the first figure. Sorry it got so small, my scanner must be acting up again, or I should have drawn it bigger.
[Image: qC36wtt.jpg]

hey there , its good to see some new people just beginning to get into the realm of visual art. makes me feel nostalgic.

if i could recommend anything for you to get started check out this video of the inspiring sycra yasin about starting in art.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxZbsLBd3oU

i highly recommend . drawing from the right side of the brain by betty edwards . give yourself a month going through that book . i assure you will see improvement in just 30 days.

Thank you for the book recommendation. However I don't have a viewfinder and I don't feel like spending money for making one. In the book she says it's an essential part of the artistic process.
Does someone know how to make a viewfinder easily with just printer paper?

Here are my new sketches. I gave up on posemaniacs because I was struggling way too much, and probably not learning anything at all from drawing the poses.

[Image: GuVF4Xf.jpg]
[Image: dRCaAwO.jpg]

My personal favorite book are:
Andrew Loomis - Fun WIth a Pencil
Dynamic Figure Drawing - Burne Hogarth

for the viewfinder i have find a cheap trick didnt try it yet.
http://www.drawspace.com/lessons/a07/mak...nder-frame

just download the file

My Sketchbook
Hi again darktiste, and thank you for helping me out!
I really wish I could have relaxed by drawing a little tonight, but it didn't happen. Maybe tomorrow? :)

I have a few questions to ask to more experienced artists here.
*Are there some drawing exercises I could do regularly that would help me to improve quickly? Something like quick poses exercises, but maybe easier for a beginner like me.

*Should I keep copying drawings from Loomis? I also want to study Fun with a Pencil for a little bit.

*Is drawing with a 4B pencil like I've been doing okay? I haven't sharpened it for days, but I actually like the bigger line it makes.

(03-22-2014, 12:19 PM)Kaycee Wrote: *Are there some drawing exercises I could do regularly that would help me to improve quickly? Something like quick poses exercises, but maybe easier for a beginner like me.

It depends on what you're trying to improve in. There's no general exercise that will help you with all things, because each subset of drawing is a different knowledge and skill set on it's own.

What are you trying to do? It's good that you now know that drawing takes practice, but it always bugs me when I don't have any real idea of what the artist wants to DO.

How about next time you post some drawings made for fun. The kind of stuff you're learning the skills FOR. The stuff you like. The stuff you want to do. That'll help us understand your goals better. What kind of art do you want to make? And don't worry about being "good enough" or whatever to start drawing it.

Draw it now and do your best, because once you do, it'll be automatically clear to yourself and everyone else what you need to focus on and the exercises you should do, and that's the first real step to improving yourself. The general advice you've been getting at this point is just general advice. You will improve faster with laser-pointed guidance tailor made for an INDIVIDUAL. Show your individuality!

Once the goal becomes clear the journey becomes much easier to map out.

And along with those drawings name 5 artists that you really love and wish to be like, and give a sentence saying what you like about each one.

(03-22-2014, 12:19 PM)Kaycee Wrote: *Should I keep copying drawings from Loomis? I also want to study Fun with a Pencil for a little bit.

Copy is probably the wrong word. You should be STUDYING what you see, as in analyzing and really trying to understand and internalize what you're seeing and how to utilize it in your own work. Copying is just copying if you aren't learning anything from it. If you aren't using your brain when you draw, you won't learn. Never do anything mindlessly and expect to magically get anything out of it. That's like trying to learn archery without trying to aim. To be blunt, it's a half-assed effort that will yield next to nothing.

(03-22-2014, 12:19 PM)Kaycee Wrote: *Is drawing with a 4B pencil like I've been doing okay? I haven't sharpened it for days, but I actually like the bigger line it makes.

Nothing wrong with that. As long as it can make the marks you want.

Hiya! Hiya! Hiya!

I think I was under the impression that I could just learn to draw in general. When I drew as a kid (which didn't happen that often), I was attracted to manga. The thing is, I find most manga style drawings downright ugly nowadays. However, I do like moe style a lot. It's a subset of the manga style which encompasses overly cute drawings. It looks like it's dripping with cuteness and sweetness.

I also love funny little chibi characters (chibi have weird proportions, but moe usually don't. So chibi isn't moe). I'd like to learn how to draw really, cute, lively little chibi creatures. When I used to (attempt) to draw some chibi, I basically copied Mirumo or Poring/Deviling/Angeling/Santa Poring. The latter are game monsters.

I like the art of Fairy Tail and Detective Conan (I also like the anime/manga). Card Captor Sakura also looks nice, and so do some characters out of Yu-Gi-Oh!

I'd love to be able to draw fantasy creatures (dragons in particular), and some nice landscape to go with it all.
A few years ago, I drew a baby dragon using a tutorial, and it turned out really good. I think this is actually the only drawing I made that I have been satisfied with, but sadly I don't have it anymore.
It might be tucked away somewhere in the basement if it wasn't thrown away.

I'm also quite fond of cartoon style, and I'd like to be able to draw stuff in 3D (in perspective) such as a train station or a street. I'm hopeless with perspective so it's probably not something I'll pursue.

Also, I hate drawing portraits, always have, always will. I would like to learn how to draw *faces*, but I'm mainly interested in getting the proportions down so that I can start drawing something more cartoonish.

Sorry for the rambling. I hope someone can help me and
TL;DR
I like cute manga (chibi/moe)
I want to draw dragons (and fairies, elves, vampires...)
I want to draw cartoonish stuff
Maybe landscape and stylish houses/train stations/buildings/ in a long long time.

(03-23-2014, 11:56 AM)Kaycee Wrote: I think I was under the impression that I could just learn to draw in general.

Quote:"Expert use of the fundamentals is the only basis there is for learning to draw. These fundamentals can be listed, studied, and carried out in your own way. They are: proportion, anatomy, perspective, values, color, and knowledge of mediums and materials. Each of these can be the subject of infinite study and observation."

- Andrew Loomis

I'll post another link to Proko, because he's seriously a great resource.

http://www.proko.com/library/

The page list things in a recommended order for beginners to pick up.

(03-23-2014, 11:56 AM)Kaycee Wrote: I'm also quite fond of cartoon style, and I'd like to be able to draw stuff in 3D (in perspective) such as a train station or a street. I'm hopeless with perspective so it's probably not something I'll pursue.

If you want it, WORK FOR IT. More on that later.

(03-23-2014, 11:56 AM)Kaycee Wrote: Also, I hate drawing portraits, always have, always will. I would like to learn how to draw *faces*, but I'm mainly interested in getting the proportions down so that I can start drawing something more cartoonish.

If you ask me, having a good understanding of real life faces makes you better at drawing cartoon ones. Actually that applies to pretty much everything.

(03-23-2014, 11:56 AM)Kaycee Wrote: I like cute manga (chibi/moe)
I want to draw dragons (and fairies, elves, vampires...)
I want to draw cartoonish stuff
Maybe landscape and stylish houses/train stations/buildings/ in a long long time.

Ok! Start drawing those things now. If it's something you want to do, the only way to get "good enough" at it is to attempt it now, make mistakes, correct your mistakes, try again, rinse and repeat. Don't fear failure, embrace it! Learn from your mistakes and get better each time. Spend time learning from experienced artists by analyzing how their art works or from books they write. If you take it seriously and don't half-ass it, you WILL learn.

Hiya! Hiya! Hiya!

Where could I find good reference pictures and books for this kind of art?
I guess I could always type "dragon", "vampire", or "elves" into Google, but I don't know if that would help much.

I've actually been watching tattoo competitions for two days, and I'm really impressed by the talents of these young artists. They can draw anything: portrait, mythical beasts, mech, cartoon, manga...

Obviously, I don't want to become a professional artist, but I do want to become somewhat good at drawing.

I'm going through a rough patch RL right now, but once I go back to college, I'm going to study really hard to get a job in finance or something related.
I think that drawing from time to time would help me calm down if studying hard is draining me mentally.

(03-24-2014, 10:20 AM)Kaycee Wrote: Where could I find good reference pictures and books for this kind of art?

The reference you'd use for fantasy art will be from real life. Real life castles, real life animals, so on and so on. Real life historical costumes. Real life cultures.

Hiya! Hiya! Hiya!

One thing I did starting out that really made things harder was putting high expectations on myself. Dont worry about comparing your current skills to others. All that does is make you disappointed and makes drawing no fun. Since you're not trying to get a job in art either it doesnt help you to put pressure on yourself to be good right now. Think back to drawings that you did that you had fun doing in the past and draw that. If you're enjoying what youre drawing it will be easy to improve because you'll want to keep doing it even if you know its not amazing.

Don't give up on the gesture drawings yet! If whole figures are too complicated in the beginning, start with stick figures. Similar to the ones from loomis, or even more simplified. With time you will get better and quicker as well and can start experimenting with other ways to quickly draw the gesture of the body.

Other than that, I agree about Loomis (I like 'figure drawing for all it's worth') and also Michael Hampton, he simplifies muscles into groups in a very understandable way. The most important thing is practice, though - you want to improve your drawing in general, so it would be a good idea to always carry a sketchbook or some paper with you and just draw whatever is in front of you. People, objects, ... every line you make will help you get better :)

SketchbookDeviantartArtblog | Portfolio
Every feedback is appreciated!
You have a really great start here, don't even think of giving up because of hands! They're one of the hardest things to get right so don't lose confidence because of them. It's been said already, but if you work hard towards what you want to get better at, you will over time.

Also if you're interested in perspective at all I'd suggest picking up Scott Robertson's newest book "How To Draw". I can't emphasize how great it is, really a goldmine for perspective and its even helped me improve drawing in general. Also I've heard a lot of good things about his DVDs and such, havent seen them all but Im sure their great. If you decide to check his stuff out, don't think that it only applies to "perspective" type things (boxes, vehicles, houses etc), its actually very very useful when you apply it to figures, portraits, hands etc.

Don't give up on those gestures, they're a love/hate relationship, and frankly they probably wont look decent for a LONG time but they still help. I would recommend complimenting them with longer more involved studies as well. And if ever you feel they look wrong well thats ok, because gestures aren't supposed to precise to the millimeter, theyre supposed to be loose and gestural, getting in the motion and feeling rather than the likeness.

And lastly, theres nothing wrong with having a favorite pencil, but I highly suggest experimenting with lots of different ones to get different line quality and value ranges.

Keep on learning you're doing great!

You're coming along really well. Loomis's figure drawing book is awesome. Don't give up on figures. It takes a lot for them to start feeling familiar. Like a few hundred. I used to number my gesture drawings, but gave up around 200.

Sycra has some great drawing tutorials. Watch and draw along (pause if you need).
Male figure proportions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4nTEgET...2B3CD4C899
Female figure proportions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiKcI49l...2B3CD4C899
Light and shadow series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q-LZVFZ...WqScFTRhtv

It helped me to draw the basic proportions about 3 times in a row (a Loomis suggestion), just to cement it in. Yes, the proportions change as the figure moves, but it really helps to automatically know those most basic measurements.

Sketchbook