Richie's the last chance sketchbook
Keep killin it Richie!

Thanks for the livestreams John!

Ok todays stuff, starting again with gestures, gonna change it up a bit from tomorrow and do the same pose from different angles like i did a few pages ago.

More cartoony/caricature studies again

Checking out the work of vincent gallut and trying to apply them to other heads, you can tell which are mine :P got to work on simplifying the shapes

And finally an oil painting/pick out in burnt umber. Not really happy with the hair detail but it looks ok didn't have time for the skull so that for tomorrow I hope :P

Nice painting! Looks like your getting the paint to do what you want it to do. Are you finding it pretty straightforward to render those shapes out?

Also, is that a kind of recommended practice / study route to start off doing monochromatic stuff? Or just something you're messing with?

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453
That skull lay-in looks nice. So I assume you're doing the Watts painting program now?

Hi Jonny, I'm following along with the Watts online painting program, and the 3 I did so far were OK to do but also the simplest technique wise, burnt umber pick out. Basically its more like charcoal where you rub down the oil paint to get the values you want. So far i'm liking it but there so much more stuff and equipment to clean and manage, digital really spoils us :P

Hypna Yeh signed up for this month and december to give it a try will probably try to go until phase 2 but its slow going so far :P

Drawing from this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-Hua18bWgQ

ha tough to keep it all in proportion

Tried oils again this time with burnt umber and white paint. Going to try this one again don't think I got enough value range with this one and a lot of details lost in the jaw area. Things to do draw out a more detailed lay in, and might try pre mixing like 5 values to use.

and trying out cartoony/caricature studies again. Gotta try approaching this more methodically, back to the drawing board :P

Not much to post today :(
Tried the skull in oil again, not sure if this ones better or just different, anyhow its all good practice.

And another one of those turn around life drawings, yeh its meant to be the same women in all the drawings :)

Nice oils man. I bought some black and white gouache and Im gonna try and reverse engineer the gouache phase 1 course hah! So far I was barely able to make a value scale. Im thinking of doing a month of the painting course next year after I get a better hang of using paint. That way I can hit the ground running. On those head drawing where you're trying to caricature the person, I think you should first focus on doing a realistic likeness. People that are really good at caricaturing learned realism first so that they could distort what they see. And the most important thing about a caricature is the likeness. Try to apply what you're learning with the skull studies and remember the Reilly rhythms of the face.

Thanks Hypna, i have to do the gouche stage too!
Not much today just had time for a gesture session and oil of an Asaro head

Don't think i got the values right for the lightest parts of the head
and some life drawing from saturday fun to do:

stuff from yesterday, gestures:

value study, did something different this time by doing values from a colour picture rather than copying from a black and white pic, i've put up a B&W pic for comparison, ouch that mouth :)

and a cartoon study of John Cusack

kind of slipping on the work rate :( but still going at it
gesture from yesterday:

and trying out dog drawings and general structure:

more stuff from yesterday
gestures warm up:

And a characterture, pleased with this lot because I went thru it them more methodically than the last batch:

Hi all, been away for months while I animated on a tv show, well contract was cut short and im back to been unemployed in a week  :(
So back to art full time :)
while I was away still did life drawing classes, but my photoshop skills have withered and died.
My plans are try to get a time table up this weekend.
Trying also to figure out what I need to speed up my learning and not to forget so quickly, I'm thinking of doing weekly and monthly goals as well as doing the fundamental studies that I did in the past, apply what I learnt. i'm thinking book/record covers, stuff that's been done in blood sports for the monthly goals maybe pinups or things I learnt from gumroad tuts applied to new ideas. In the past I always thought I wasnt ready to do covers or pinup but now I realised I just have to do them no matter how badly they turned out, the value is in the doing and the leaning from the experience, so fail, fail often and keep going :)
ok I've rambled enough next post will be a timetable :P

Damn, sorry to hear that, Richie D:

As for the time table it sounds reasonable ;) I'd suggest to not go crazy the first month, though. Just start with regular studies and some covers. Then the second month I'd say you should start setting up some goals ;D

Haha, cool to have you back on daggers :)

Heres a few of the charcoal life studies I did while I was away, great fun doing them frustrating getting the vine charcoal to work for me.

And a rough sketch of the study time table, no time off is scheduled in but it's just the skeleton and i'll add time off as needed, thinking of one day off a week. Just trying to have it the same as the work schedule that I work with right now which is 8:00 to 19:00 anyway so shouldn't be too much trouble to adapt but lets see in a couple of weeks time :p

Trying out more cartoony body shapes got a whole lot more practice to do on this one

OK an update of yesterdays and todays work
Life drawing

Putting a character into different poses

An yep I've signed up to the schoolism subscription too this is from the awesome Sam Neilsons lighting fundamentals. So far trying to get rid of ring rust trying to find my feet again in photoshop.

Things to do this time around!
Been thinking of how to set about studying and where i went wrong and what to improve since last time.
https://youtu.be/8kfK46nruKM?t=8m9s
Think it's a case of not applying what I was doing like anthony jones mentions i'm copying not studying. Well gotta be mindful of this trap and not be afraid to fail and fail often and not be discouraged by bad results!

For today did a bit of life drawing gestures

tried to copy out an old style cartoon turn it in space then a few poses of that character

And lastly gotta get over learning photoshop by doing a little bit a day heres a poses out design from alexandre diboine and a real fail trying to paint out something from sartorialist :P Going to work on perspective and more value paintings.

Sooo many studies = Sooo awesome! Remember to apply it. And thanks again for your tips. Grin

Sketchblag

Join our Study Group: The Velvet Revolvers!  Let's work hard together!
Still alive :P Just fallen out the habit of posting often but I am in the CD and permanoobs hangout more.
Thanks Sketchisoph Bookend yes have to push myself into more painting and apply all this stuff!

Trying out character of a spacegirl and posing 

Week 2 of Sam Neilsons lighting fundamentals getting tougher :)

Great works! You're really producing a lot of studies. I can already see an improvement just on one page. So, keep it up! Get that line confidence! Grin Thumbs_up

Sketchblag

Join our Study Group: The Velvet Revolvers!  Let's work hard together!