PurpleScissors' Sketchbook
Lovely figures! Good idea about using your face as a reference, but don't be afraid to make the nose bigger/smaller, make the lips bigger/smaller/wider. Pretend it's like a video game character creation screen!

Love the coloured version, pretty well done, I think. I may be wrong, but the ground might be too bright considering the time of day.

Great figure studies! Don't stop now, Purple! You've got this! Thumbs_up

Sketchblag

Join our Study Group: The Velvet Revolvers!  Let's work hard together!
Hi Bookend, thank you so much for your comment. Next time I will play with the scale of the facial figures.
About the ground, I used a texture in overlay mode. You are right, the closer parts should have been darker.
As I said before I have been studying environment drawings. Quick sketches everyday. My school is opened and it takes so much of my time. I hate school for that but I am tring to draw as much as I can.

Attached Files Image(s)

New environment thumbnails, traditional sketch of self-portrait that I paint-over on PS, and sketches. I did 3 mins facial expressions that's why they are seem a bit off :D

Attached Files Image(s)

Wow, really nice colourful studies, beautiful figures. You're going in a great direction! Keep working at it! Thumbs_up

Sketchblag

I recognise some of those faces, been doing those ones too!
Looking good :D

Wow appreciate the support! Thanks so much. Feedbacks mean a lot to me. Today I'm spending all my time at home, drawing :) So I will update at the end of the day.
One question: I am trying to draw my boyfriend's portrait but I cannot make it loke like him. Does it also happens to you? I mean when I try to draw someone familiar, it doesn't look like the original. Is it something psychological like I am convincing myself that the drawing is not similar?

I don't think it's psychological, I think it's because he's so familiar to you that it needs to be /perfect/ - whereas someone you don't know, you can get a likeness of, and you won't feel it's wrong because you don't know them so well.

I also think it's harder to draw someone you know well because you've reduced their face into a symbol in your mind. You could try using a photo reference and turn it upside down, so you are drawing what's /there/ not what you think should be there - just as an exercise to see if it helps.

I think sometimes facial expressions really make a face more familiar too - so if someone is sitting for you, and they are holding a pose, they might not be displaying an expression you normally associate with them, which might be messing with that feeling of it looking right.

Just keep working at it - use the putting in the mirror/ flipping the canvas upside down tricks and try and see what it is that's not feeling right. Putting it down and leaving it for a week can also give you fresh eyes, as can taking a photo of it if you are working traditionally.

If you are working from reference, getting someone else to look at it alongside the reference might also help.

Thanks a lot Punk! Your advices make sense, I will definetely try them tomorrow. As I have promised these are what I draw today. The first one is a master study.

Attached Files Image(s)

New environment studies :) Do you have any tips for drawing mountains?

Attached Files Image(s)

For drawing mountains, and really most other things too, think of big shapes and blocks first and only later take care of little cracks or ridges. So your thought process might be something like this:
1) What’s the big shape and the silhouette of the mountain? What kind of mountain is it - rounded, pointy, massive, blocky… what is its character?
2) Where does light hit, and where are shadow areas? (Think of planes. Which planes are facing the sun, which aren’t?)
After you block in the big masses, and separate light and shadow areas, it should already look like a mountain (or whatever it is you’re painting). Then you can go into detail, and render it any way you like, add cracks, snow, etc. But whenever something’s not working the way you want it, it can be helpful to try to simplify it (at least in your mind).

Good job on doing lots of studies by the way! :) That’s the way to go… study, apply, study, apply. Are you drawing and painting from life as well (i.e. still lifes)? Or at least mindfully observing? While I do think photo studies are useful, there are many things that the camera can’t show as well as the human eye can see it.
An example of what referencing from real life can teach you: In the desert painting above, the intense sky clashes a lot with the intense orange of the ground and rocks. In real life, the color of the sky affects everything else, so maybe mix some of the sky-blue in the shadows. When strong light hits a reflective surface, it will also bounce off a bit and illuminate parts that are in the shadows - I'll attach a quick overpaint for you to see what I mean.  

Also good job on all the anatomy and face studies. Just keep them up :)

Attached Files Image(s)

SketchbookDeviantartArtblog | Portfolio
Every feedback is appreciated!
@Layraine thanks a lot for your comment an advices! The paint-over version seems so good and believable. I never thought of the bouncing light of the sky. 
I did a still life study of a mushroom once, it was really fun. Sometimes I do mirror studies.  But I don't do still lifes often as I always look for interesting objects :D 

Sorry for inactivity I was lazy to post here but I continued to draw at least every other day. School is consuming nearly all my time. 
[Image: o8s9oy.jpg]

[Image: 1556q1z.jpg]

[Image: 313iplj.jpg]

[Image: epfzbs.jpg]

[Image: k12h01.jpg]

[Image: veaj35.jpg]

Hey I did this for a collaboration project. Due to limited time I could not add more details however I'm planning to imrove it later.
[Image: 2ymvb4x.png]

Just wanted to say that I love the white haired figure - especially how you handled the fabric. To me, the way you painted the fabric looks quite nice and I really like your brushwork. Your pencil drawings are also quite nice. Love the faces and figures. Keep up the great work! :D
Thanks a lot :)

Oooh, loving the collab. Your work's looking colourful and interesting! Keep on it. Thumbs_up

Sketchblag

Thanks a lot :)
[Image: 2wrn8jo.png]

[Image: fu6d0h.jpg]

oh btw I have forgot posting the painting of my beloved. So here it is. 

[Image: msex78.png]

I have been too lazy to post here but I tried to draw daily. I will be working in an office job for 3 months so I won't have much time to draw but it is okay.
I try drawing houses and this is the best one so far :D I will have a book on building drawing. Do you have any recommendations?

some sketches

This one is from imagination. Don't mind the birds :D

This one I drew for a story that is about a girl and her family. 

I hope you enjoy. Critics are always welcome :)

I'm trying to better my composition skills. 

This one is a WIP. 

One thing that might help with composition is doing 2-value (black and white) master studies :) Keep grinding away