Environment Design Rocks!
Thanks for helping each other guys! This is so awesome to see :) Yep Barry, a scene may have one basic grid and set of VPs for most of the things in it, but any object in the scene that is rotated/aligned differently to that grid, will have its parallel lines converge to different VPs. Same horizon line, but different VPs.

Mehdi explained a good way of thinking about it. Each object (in fact any surface) in any scene will have its own set of VPs, it's just that the VPs of similarly aligned/rotated objects end up in the same position.
As well as dutch angles (tilted horizons) watch out for lens distortions in photography which will warp things especially towards the edges of photos.

@wasgodx, Squint your eyes at the ref so things become more indistinct. Notice the basic dark and light masses, and paint those. The key is in the choices made in "crushing down" every value into either dark or light.

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
Page 04 of the assignment 01. Guys what do you thin?

Attached Files Image(s)

(09-28-2015, 12:01 PM)Andy R Wrote: Page 04 of the assignment 01. Guys what do you thin?

Hey Andy,

Like what you've done so far! Wish I could've come up with the varied choice of frames :-)
You more or less mentioned time being an issue, maybe you could save time by working with smaller frames? You'd get quicker results and you'd be less tempted to delve deeper into one single frame. 
Again, I'm just guessing and comparing with the probs I had (see previous posts) so I might be completely wrong.

(09-28-2015, 06:00 PM)MehdiVdC Wrote:
(09-28-2015, 12:01 PM)Andy R Wrote: Page 04 of the assignment 01. Guys what do you thin?

Hey Andy,

Like what you've done so far! Wish I could've come up with the varied choice of frames :-)
You more or less mentioned time being an issue, maybe you could save time by working with smaller frames? You'd get quicker results and you'd be less tempted to delve deeper into one single frame. 
Again, I'm just guessing and comparing with the probs I had (see previous posts) so I might be completely wrong.
No, definately you are right. I´ve been working with quite big frames for a 100 notans... guess i'll have to think more about the time i have avilable and use it more wisely. Thanks MehdiVdC!!!
Finished mine:

I'm not sure if the upload with the submission form worked though...

[Image: JDGPES0.jpg]

Here is my work in progress of the first assignment! :) 

(09-29-2015, 09:50 AM)Gecko Wrote: Here is my work in progress of the first assignment! :) 

Dat smily face~
@Olooriel: Nice work! ;v;
I'm feeling the need to step up my game now~
Xiaogabe_week01 WIP. Some squares still have random strokes! 

(09-29-2015, 09:50 AM)Gecko Wrote: Here is my work in progress of the first assignment! :) 

Really digging those comps. I especially like the battleship one! ;D
(09-29-2015, 12:39 PM)Xiaogabe Wrote: Xiaogabe_week01 

Wow! For me best ones so far!
Perfect balance of abstract/representational 70% / 30%
Good perspective / depth.
Otherwordly landscape feel to them.

Maybe lacking a bit on composition. Too centered? Too equal balance of white/black?

Looking fordward for the rest.

Sketchbook: p1 p2 p3 p4 p5 p6 p7
(09-29-2015, 12:39 PM)Xiaogabe Wrote: Xiaogabe_week01 WIP. Some squares still have random strokes! 

Man! I soo want to see your assignment when its done! Congrats man it looks awsome! I love how you really thought about your compositions and used black and white lines to really tighten it, in other words, awsome use of contrast!
(09-29-2015, 02:46 PM)AlfonsoX Wrote:
(09-29-2015, 12:39 PM)Xiaogabe Wrote: Xiaogabe_week01 

Wow! For me best ones so far!
Perfect balance of abstract/representational 70% / 30%
Good perspective / depth.
Otherwordly landscape feel to them.

Maybe lacking a bit on composition. Too centered? Too equal balance of white/black?

Looking fordward for the rest.

Thank you for your feedback, and kind words, AlfonsoX. I'll make sure to keep an eye on not having too much symmetry in value and comp on the next ones!
(09-29-2015, 09:52 PM)Andy R Wrote:
(09-29-2015, 12:39 PM)Xiaogabe Wrote: Xiaogabe_week01 WIP. Some squares still have random strokes! 

Man! I soo want to see your assignment when its done! Congrats man it looks awsome! I love how you really thought about your compositions and used black and white lines to really tighten it, in other words, awsome use of contrast!

Thank you. Reading those composition books is really helping me. I especially like Edgar Payne's Composition of Outdoor Painting. 

Luckily for me I had bought it a few months back and was excited when Mr. Dutta recommended it as reading material!

Oh man those are looking great! I'm only halfway done with mine so looking your work (actually, everyone's as well :D ) is sooo inspiring! 

I'll do my best too! It's my first time doing these notans so I hope I'll do fine. Will post my notans soon too and see what you guys think.
It's great seeing everybody's enthusiasm and studies here! I'm sorry that for now I can only do a post and run, because I'm super busy with work the week and weekend, but I hope I can hang around more later!

Anyway, I'm done with assignment 01! I really liked the work on the Notan thumbnails as I'm prone to over thinking. It helped me relax a lot and I had a ton of fun...! The value studies were a bit of a struggle for me here and there, I especially had problems grouping the values.

[Image: edc_assignment_week01_crimsondaggers_by_...9bbh87.jpg]

SKY IS THE LIMIT

DeviantartSketchbook
Finally finished 2-value studies!

I think I'm going to have to rush the other studies and the remaining comps because this took wayyyy too long.

[Image: TWL3zJb.png]
Ha just in time, i couldve finished these sooner if my pc hadn't been required to be formatted because of malware.

anywho this assignment tested my accuracy towards value management and value recognition.
the notan studies was also a challenge as well, just coming up with blobs of pixels that actually makes sense compositionally so i certainly need to build up on those.

[Image: JeremyKurt_week12.jpg]

My final.
Notan sketches were fun but studies came with a bit of pain and frustration.

Attached Files Image(s)

Sketchbook: p1 p2 p3 p4 p5 p6 p7
Good job everyone!
Here are my finals.
So much fun, (also some frustrating moments) looking forward to next assigment. :D[Image: 4rCLYAI.jpg]