The Art of Tyler Donnelly
Dragon Painting: Just for Fun :)

Quick Character Sketch from a previous sketch (see above sketchbook pages)

Texture studies.

(11-03-2012, 03:14 PM)Zesiul Wrote: <3 You rock. Keep learning! Like the colors on the last piece, very mucky.

Why thank you Zes!

Great volume, keep it up yo. Dragon looks a little flat, try varying the value as the dragon flows into the distance.

I don't know what happened here. But it was fun. Obvious weaknesses here are Face, Hands and well.. just about everything.. :D Time to get back to work.

It's not half bad. Just watch shapes here and there. You know that. It's fun to sketch, but I haven't seen you spend awhile on a single piece.

It'd rock if you did some side studies and then came back to your latest piece, used the knowledge you got from the studies, and made a badass version of it.

Just my thoughts, cool to still see you having fun with it though.

Available for Freelance - Portfolio | CD Sketchbook | Blog | Email
I don't think I've done studies in Photoshop in while. other than the spheres and textures.. ;D Looks like I gotta get back in the swing of things. I don't really spend a lot of time on things because I don't really have a lot of time to do that. I at least know I need to make time for this.

I was half paying attention to this piece, was watching the Pats game at the same time. Thus the #1 signs >_<

Something really quick. Superfast Self Portrait.

Some quick things from memory. :) Pretty Pleased with them.

Still need to work on facial structure though. Get some variation in my work.

Another update.

A quick painting. that I want to do more with. Going to work on some Atmosphere with this one.

Just had an Idea when drawing in my sketchbook on the train today. It's not perfect, but it's still a WIP.

More Progress

(01-23-2013, 11:53 PM)TylerDonnelly Wrote: More Progress

I want to do sometihng interesting with her hands. It's a toss up between magic things or dangerous things.

finishing up this piece.

Looking good man. Definitely stepped it up a lot since the first post. Keep it commmmming :)

Another updated.

Just something that popped into my head.

Updating a piece that I've already done over once before.

2009 1st Iteration: http://demonshadows.deviantart.com/art/T...-109541611

2011 2nd Iteration: http://tddigital.deviantart.com/art/Gunner-196854787

2013 3rd Attempt:

Some updates. Images from my sketchbook coming soon.

at this point, i think you should do as many studies as possible, specially from great masters or from life. Trust me, it will make a huge difference.

And be sure to do those studies as perfectly as possible, it is preferable to sweat doing 3 difficult studies than doing 50 fairly easy studies of something in your comfort zone.

Hope you will find any of this useful.

Looking good man, I agree with Eduardo that you should try doing a few master studies. Pick up James Gurneys Color and Light and Imaginative Realism if you don't have them already, and Alla Prima by Richard Schmid (my personal favorite) - You seem to be progressing fairly well in regards to fundamentals, just keep up the work.
A quick Master study of Friedrich:

@Eduardo: Yeah I need to find the time to do the studies themselves. I know i have to do them but I'm away from the house 14hrs a day D: Have and particular master in mind? I have a few but I could always use more!

@Thomas: I plan on stepping up my master study game. Any good suggestions? Always looking for more. I own both Color and Light and Imagininative realism. And I've read through both. But I need to keep doing it and practicing while i'm doing it. Read a page, put it into practice. and use that methodology.

Alla Prima? Never heard of it. I will have to look into that.

One of my biggest problems is not having enough time to render things out. I know i can do it over time but I just end up getting bored. that robot for example. I could've finished it in one go if I wasn't so busy all the time :(

Anyway thanks for the kind words and great suggestions guys. I will keep those and mind and keep practicing.

I really enjoy your linework it actually seems more advanced than your color and lighting work.
Those last few images do show improvement on those part :D
Looking forward to you new work.

My Crimson Daggers sketchbook ^^
Hi Tyler, well that sucks, but i hope you will find time study. :)

My personal favourite is Velazquez and i plan to do some studies of rubens and goya too. So i would recommend you those. But for no specific reason, it is just that i love them haha.