Wicked sketchbook
Hi there :)

I love the studies you've been doing. Next time you do a study in colour, really focus on observing the colours correctly, because in your current studies they aren't always 100% there. Try laying in the colour, then using the colour picker tool to check the colour on the original image and compare that to what you've put in your study. You might find that the original is more red, or less saturated, or darker etc. Then go back to your study and try to lay in the colour again, making it more accurate to the original. If you want to really challenge your colour observation, try to copy the subtle shifting skin tones from master paintings by artists like Bouguereau. Over time you'll find that your first guess will start to get much closer to whatever you're studying.

Love the palette and atmosphere of your most recent WIP with the fallen tree. Maybe you can add more variation to the trees. At the moment they are all the same basic shape except for the one tree that fell down (which looks taller than the other trees), and the forest looks a bit too uniform. Maybe some of the trees bend in the trunk. Maybe there's some other foliage in there. Maybe some of them have more branches lower down, maybe some of them the roots are more covered by snow. Do some tree studies and you'll get ideas about how to play with their form. The other thing to consider is that the tree probably fell down for a reason and maybe whatever that reason was it affected the other trees - so there might be other trees in the background that got broken or fell down a bit, or whatever. As long as you keep within a tight value range, adding stuff like that won't detract attention from your focal point.

I hope that helps, or gives you some ideas. Great work!

-   Sketchbook   - 
(06-07-2016, 04:35 AM)BadWoolf Wrote: Hi there :)

I love the studies you've been doing. Next time you do a study in colour, really focus on observing the colours correctly, because in your current studies they aren't always 100% there. Try laying in the colour, then using the colour picker tool to check the colour on the original image and compare that to what you've put in your study. You might find that the original is more red, or less saturated, or darker etc. Then go back to your study and try to lay in the colour again, making it more accurate to the original. If you want to really challenge your colour observation, try to copy the subtle shifting skin tones from master paintings by artists like Bouguereau. Over time you'll find that your first guess will start to get much closer to whatever you're studying.

Love the palette and atmosphere of your most recent WIP with the fallen tree. Maybe you can add more variation to the trees. At the moment they are all the same basic shape except for the one tree that fell down (which looks taller than the other trees), and the forest looks a bit too uniform. Maybe some of the trees bend in the trunk. Maybe there's some other foliage in there. Maybe some of them have more branches lower down, maybe some of them the roots are more covered by snow. Do some tree studies and you'll get ideas about how to play with their form. The other thing to consider is that the tree probably fell down for a reason and maybe whatever that reason was it affected the other trees - so there might be other trees in the background that got broken or fell down a bit, or whatever. As long as you keep within a tight value range, adding stuff like that won't detract attention from your focal point.

I hope that helps, or gives you some ideas. Great work!

Thank you so much on your comment. :) I see what you mean about that same shaped tress and I never thought there should be more broken fallen tress but yes that's makes sense. Thanks for your suggestions. And about that colour studies I started with that but I never learn how to use it, so will do it again on day.

new one

Attached Files Image(s)

well this is finished, I am not happy with it, this is not even a style which I want to paint. I need more practice

Attached Files Image(s)

Good progress :).

You should stop scribbling with your brushes, slow down and use a bigger brush if you need to cover more space.

Drawing out of perspective is like singing out of tune. I'll throw a shoe at you if you do it.
Sketch Book
tree of a life

Attached Files Image(s)

Some studies from today.. Trying to practice colour, composition, and values all in the same time.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi Lussios - nice sketchbook you've got going here :). I like the big amount of work that you're putting in.

I just had a few thoughts for you on focus if I may.

You seem to be covering a lot of different topics all at once - I did this when I first joined and ended up feeling overwhelmed at the shear amount that I had to learn.

The way I overcame this was to pick a topic that I really enjoy and set a goal for myself on just that one area. I happened to pick figure drawing and have managed to focus on that for that past couple of months doing what appears to be really boring studies - but really enjoying it because I feel like I'm learning and making progress - which in turn motivates me to learn more!

You've had some great feedback from CTrow and Abnormal if you decide to carry on with learning the human figure - for what it's worth I add my vote to the advice that they've given you.

Keep going with the hard work - you're looking good :)

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

@Artloader this is an very good advice thank you :) i should definitely do as you said and maybe I will but right now I am practising anatomy and painting some landscapes.

well here is it :) what do you said?

Attached Files Image(s)

new stuff and  studies...

Attached Files Image(s)

new practice

Attached Files Image(s)

something for halloween

Attached Files Image(s)

Well still not happy with my work think I can do better than I do now.

Attached Files Image(s)