bagenew's sketchbook
10hr update.
// drawing: still on Capcom
// rendering: cube env.after copying some good examples,now created some by myself.

Attached Files Image(s)

10hr update,same stuff going on.

Attached Files Image(s)

10hr update.
same stuff going on.

Attached Files Image(s)

10hr update.
same...

Attached Files Image(s)

10hr update.
After copying a lot of Capcom illustration,I began to realize that I should not only copy them.So I added the analyzation.
The cube-arch scene was done with Maya aid,since the casting shadow construction is quite complex.

Attached Files Image(s)

10hr update.
drawing on Capcom art copy with more thoughts,and rendering reffered from someone's 3D works.

Attached Files Image(s)

10hr update,been late for 1 day.
trying to make more notes when copying works to get better understanding of how they made the design.

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice Capcom studies! Have you tried designing your own character after say 5-10 copies?

(07-14-2017, 03:48 PM)neopatogen Wrote: Nice Capcom studies! Have you tried designing your own character after say 5-10 copies?

No,I haven't.
A good question but I don't really have a clear answer.

the plan I made for drawing part is pretty rough: 
capcom study 20 pages ,
portrait study(on different type:cartoon/realistic/korean style,etc) 50 ,
free study 50 ,

I've already did 75 capcom characters,after counting the characters on the rest 12 pages,see there're 148 left to go.
But I did this part mainly for love,since I'm a fighting game player.Not mainly for a design skill sharpening purpose.
It still helps,but not that much.
If I want to design some characters of my own,I think maybe doing more observation sketch on real obj. may help more than just copying others'.

for the portrait part,it may have more meaning for my design skill tree building,I set up the practice because I don't know which kind of character design I want to start first.
I think the main difference of character design between cartoon and realistic or the korean game style,is on the face.So I choose to do a lot of these to find out what kind of style I would love to start first.

Anyway,148 is a pretty long way to go.I think I could mix different kinds of drawing practice together to see which may help more to build my real skill.I will take a serious think over this thing.
And thanks for the suggestion.
10hr update.

Attached Files Image(s)

10hr update
portrait study,most of the hours on preparation works.

Attached Files Image(s)

10hr update.
portrait study and photo study.

Attached Files Image(s)

10hr update.
keep on portrait and photo study,and following the instruction of Amit Dutta to do some composition practice.

Attached Files Image(s)

10hr update
portrait study,photo study and learning from Amit Dutta continues.

Attached Files Image(s)

10hr update.
keep on drawing faces,rendering wip,modeling wip,will post when finished.

Attached Files Image(s)

10hr update.
Still on portrait drawing and rendering wip and learning Amit Dutta's lessons.
I tried to do a 3D version of miacat's work,love his style.I was not doing the whole scene,but only facial construction feature,no texture detail either.But the result is not so good,maybe I wil improve it later.The purpose of doing so is to get better understanding of the form of the cartoon face anyway.It was not too bad at some angle,but not so good as a whole 3D face form.There's a lot of problem balancing the original style and representing it as a 3D form.  Both should be improved later.

Attached Files Image(s)

10hr update.
drawing practice for portrait,rendering photo,but this time I changed the content for fun.The env. sketch is a WIP,it's Amit Dutta's second assignment,still on it.
The update has been delayed for about 2 days,I had sth. to think through.

Attached Files Image(s)

40+hr update.
I forced myself to study a certain amount of hours per week,so I was too busy rushing for the last week's goal to update frequently.
drawing for portrait and visual library.
rendering for portrait and visual library.
learning Amit Dutta's lesson and do the assignment wip.
had tried some original design,but this was just a random idea,so I did some variation but only for trying variation.

Maybe I will try to update every time I go through a certain subject,maybe.
Don't know which way is better,but keeping working is not wrong anyway.

Attached Files Image(s)

I was planning to update when finishing certain subject,but seems too long to put a footprint this way.
Since I've practiced for a pretty long time——50+hrs,I decided to make an update,although most of the subjects are not finished.

Attached Files Image(s)

your lighting studies are amazing man, keep them up !