Plant witch painting
You guys are lucky in that you get to see my whole thesis before I'm finished with it! Haha. I have all the comic stuff in another thread, and I was thinking of doing the paintings in a separate thread. I've been working on this piece for months, and it's starting to really bug me! I've been staring at it for far too long. I'm looking to mostly check that the anatomy is accurate. I also think I'm gonna change the colors of the lips. 

[Image: plant%20painting%20final%20wip2_zpsje96mgns.png]

I have two more illustrations that I plan on doing for thesis and I may (?) post them here as well for any tips. Thank you guys sooo much!!

the horizontal strips in the background, combined with that color, really makes me think of those metal curtains a shop would pull down in front of it at the end of a work day. Because of that, I keep wanting to see rust or graffiti on it to make it "more realistic", but I don't that's a shop front metal curtain you're going for...

For a witch themed after plants, the curtains sure dominate a lot more than the plants, and all the plants are equally small looking. Even if you're sticking to realistic sizes for plants, some of them can be a bigger bush/cluster than others - like the Aloe could be a larger cluster, and the draping vines tend to flourish into mops even with just semi-proper care (at least in my experience they're more like weed than orchid), and lavender can certainly grow into a tough gnarly bush like a bonsai.

One other thing is the items on the table also seem to be more or less all equally spaced out. It'll look more interesting if they're grouped in clusters. Also that cauldron's placement feels rather awkward - I don't know if it's because of the lid's almost tangent with her skirt, or the proximity to her private area and thus making me feel awkward for looking in that direction when trying to look at the cauldron, or some other reason I can't explain. It just feels awkward being there.

Lastly, maybe a pile of books really close to us to establish a strong foreground. Right now the space of this image feels pretty flat. Push that not-metal-curtain in the background further back - probably by making the cast shadow on it from the curtain bigger to suggest it's further behind, or darkening it, or something else.

Focus.
A quick cut and paste around. May give you some ideas.

I like the one on your SB with a book shelf behind. It has more depth.
Maybe you could set the table behind the figure. More depth.

The pose seems weird to me. Not looking straight at he scisors and having her left arm above her head. Try that pose yourself.  

Plants floating around... they need shadows and some stuff to hang of.

Just mho

Sketchbook: p1 p2 p3 p4 p5 p6 p7