Coinhero's sketchbook
@Leo Ki Thanks! I always get really negative and tilted after I finish a project but in hindsight it really isn't as bad as I think it is. It's just that I know all the cheep hackjob time saves I did and only focus on them, like for example the skull isn't modeled fully it's just the face and I covered everything up with the hood :D and also his hands don't have the inside part fully sculpted because you can't see it anyway so why bother.

@Ash I'm not sure what the 2 characters on her back are to be honest I don't know Guilty Gear lore I just like playing the games but yea they did turn out better than I thought they would. If you look at them up close tho it's not that great :D skull is ok but the girl has a really stupid look on her face, I couldn't translate the reference to 3D all that well and getting lips to shade well is a pain. One thing that I think helps make them look better is that when the camera turns to show the skeleton face the background becomes darker and the opposite happens for the girl, that effect happened on accident but I really liked it and decided to keep it that way :D

[Image: 1gNmJoK.png]

Here is today's progress. Mostly modeling and moving things around with a bit of sculpting, I made the face super quickly just so I'm not looking at a low polly sphere. I have a clear plan how to get this from start to finish but there's still some parts that until I start lighting and making materials for everything I won't know if they work for sure. Stuff like the parts on the tombstone that go in might look really weird if I don't light the scene right, and I'm not sure how I'll make the stripe patterns on her clothes. Not really thinking about the composition just yet, just getting everything clear and visible and I'll figure it out later. I'm trying to keep everything consistently detailed and not focus in on one part too much. This screenshot is at a terrible angle it makes her head look really weird x.x
[Image: giphy.gif]

I originally wanted to light this in a really bright and colorful way but I ended up liking this version more. I'm not interested in getting this super clean and polished just wanted to see haw fast I can get something done and I really slacked off these last 3 days. There's something about getting all the hard parts done and then having to just finish a piece that makes me get real lazy, better stop now than waste a couple more days not doing anything. The fog didn't turn out the way I wanted but it's done with just simple volumetric scattering and I would have had to set up a fog simulation to get it to look the way I want and that's a bit too much for my PC. I love adding those stupid glowing butterfly to everything, it doesn't really make sense but it looks cute. 

I'll probably make something in 2D next.
Hi,

Looked over the last two pages and think what you're doing is awesome.

The last one turned out great!   Don't have time for a lot of reading today—so I'll ask: What 3d software did you use for the sculpt?

Do you color, light, and render it in the same software?  Do you have any "process" videos uploaded anywhere?

Sorry to barrage you with questions......

Anyway—keep it up!

(11-07-2019, 07:23 AM)Jephyr Wrote: Hi,

Looked over the last two pages and think what you're doing is awesome.

The last one turned out great!   Don't have time for a lot of reading today—so I'll ask:  What 3d software did you use for the sculpt?

Do you color, light, and render it in the same software?  Do you have any "process" videos uploaded anywhere?

Sorry to barrage you with questions......

Anyway—keep it up!

I use Blender 2.8 it's free, intuitive and it can do everything but isn't specialized in anything in particular. It's all rendered in Blender's Eevee engine, it's real time and really fast, Lighting is really simple just some area lamps and the world background is changed a bit. All materials are made in blender, here's a set up that I found that's really close to what I use 
[Image: E3s3dtl.png]

basically let's you control how flat you want the shading to be and you can also do things like assign different colors to highlights, shadows and everything in between.

My process is as simple as it gets, I'm sculpting with the goal of only making a pretty sculpt and nothing more so that's why I make everything in pose rather than a T pose model that I retopologize, bake, rig and pose. I import a reference image in blender and using the orthographic view to build out the base with spheres and cylinders to the reference proportions. All complex shapes are sculpted while others are modeled, for instance:
[Image: 9OZFTDH.png]

her sleeves are just a long tube I extruded and then assigned a different material for the loops to get the pattern that I want. Her torso is just a sphere with 2 more spheres that I boolean'd to serve as shoulders. My approach to sculpting is self taught and I can't really explain it but I don't think there's a need to because sculpting is less technical and more just doing whatever looks good to you. The snake shape is just a bezie curve turned to mesh, butterfly I made in 5 min and added an emission shader to and here's the lamps I used

[Image: XKy0fFS.png]

all white light with contact shadows. The dotted lines that are coming out of everything are because I parented everything to a plain axis empty that I'm I made rotate on the Z axis to make the turn table animation.

That's pretty much everything I can think of :D
[Image: ME2aHh2.png]

sketch I started working on. I've had this image of like this giant snake creature and some little girl charming it in my head for weeks so today I started sketching it and somehow ended up with this... idk I feel like this has potential but needs a lot of work. This is just getting something down on "paper"
I'm having more fun with 3D that 2D and I don't know what to do

[Image: udEvfsc.png]

working on this for a couple of days now. Also made this Groot sculpt for a friend so he can 3D print it and in return he'll print my Squigly sculpt.

[Image: 438mCU6.png]

it's just a super quick copy of a real figure he gave me to use as reference. I didn't bother with trying to get everything detailed because it's going to be pretty small and it's being printed on an old and cheap 3D printer so none of the detail will show anyway.
If it feel natural to you why fight the change?Enjoy what you like maybe you miss 2d one day...i think we all reach a point where we start thinking more into 3d than in 2d.I think what 2d offer is a better opportunity to put your idea out of your head compare to 3d but it will leak that volume.3d have really tool for lighting and scene and camera setting it also help create a more solidify idea once you have made a good 2d concept of something you wanna push further.Overall i think 3d is a natural progression if your into story telling for me i see myself a more of a concept artist so i would rather spend more of my time in 2d generating idea and then passing my idea to a 3d modeler as to be more specialize into idea making and be less of a modeler.But i could go 2d and 3d i just don't really care to push idea past a certain stage i am an idea junky before anything a 2d render satisfy my need maybe i am just to fresh in my art journey and limiting myself idk.Don't limit yourself if you feel you need to go that route that all there is to say.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
(11-07-2019, 04:02 PM)Coinhero Wrote: I use Blender 2.8 it's free, intuitive and it can do everything ........

That's pretty much everything I can think of :D

Thank you for taking your time to explain your process.  I really appreciate it.

I've used Blender in the past and a long time ago was getting a good handle on Maya.

For lots of reasons I got away from that but seeing what you and others are doing makes me want to look into it again (making the time is another issue).

I'll keep referring back to your post to make sure I get it all...so thank you very much again.

All the best!

@darktiste Yea if I'm having fun making 3D stuff there's no point in stopping just because I've mostly done 2D, I think it would help my 2D skills at least in the "thinking in 3D" part of painting.

[Image: ezgif-5-d14a6ede53f9.gif]

I made this spooky lady, it's very scary, wow!

[Image: ybkjDGj.png][Image: JoW0SbC.png]

working on Qiyana from League. Going of from Atey Ghailan's True Damage splash art (https://youtu.be/SGyqEiwvrQ8) and the music video. (I just noticed that she's not actually sitting on the ring)

[Image: HJjlcgx.png]

The pose I'm going for, it's just a screen grab from the "Giants" music video. Nice and blurry just the way I like it :D this way I have to really push myself to make it look good. One of the things I'm worried about is all the makeup she has on. I don't know of a simple way of giving her lipstick for the "spooky lady" sculpt I made the black stuff on her face isn't painted on its just a plane that's bend all over and it looks good enough but for this new one I won't be able to get away with that =/ Guess I'll have to go trough the whole process and paint her face in substance x.x
Some more progress

[Image: MuXM0WH.png]

laying in everything, not really concerned with specifics just trying to get a good start. I'll try to sculpt the face without adding any new geometry just moving it around so that everything stays nice and clean, it would make things easier later on and I don't really need to get all the wrinkles and stuff on her face.
Her geometry looks like this right now:

[Image: QiuZdFz.jpg]

Hopefully I won't need to add any more but I'll probably have a hard time sculpting the ears and lips like this =/
Qiyana sculpt is more or less finished here's a link to a turntable : https://files.catbox.moe/n3rjx7.mp4

and here's a quick render 
[Image: SDNPZuq.png]

you might notice that the turntable a slightly different hair style and that's because it's an older render but I already had that link and it's not enough of a difference to bother uploading it again. That being said I like the 2 hair buns thing I had originally more but this is more true to the splash art =/
This sculpt is a bit of a hack job and I was cutting lots of corners with it so that I won't spend forever on it. For example everywhere you see "TRUE DAMAGE" on her it's just some squished geometry not an actual texture because it's just much faster this way and you can hardly notice it anyway. Doing stupid shit is allowed when you're making just a sculpt that looks pretty and nothing more :D

No idea what I'm doing next but it's probably more 3D.
The hand seem kinda heavy(less feminine that they could be) but the rest look pretty fine to me.

My Sketchbook
(11-08-2019, 02:20 AM)Coinhero Wrote: [Image: ME2aHh2.png]

sketch I started working on. I've had this image of like this giant snake creature and some little girl charming it in my head for weeks so today I started sketching it and somehow ended up with this... idk I feel like this has potential but needs a lot of work. This is just getting something down on "paper"
Love this sketch dude!
@darktiste Yea the hand is in a terrible pose considering the camera angle, I changed the camera position but got lazy and didn't want to resculpt the hand. Subsurface scattering is turned up waaaaayy too high also which gets rid of the form and makes it look like it's just one big blob. Bad shading on my part.

@bluehabit
That image is cursed I ain't touching it :D I made the sketch when I was on like 3 hours of sleep and then couldn't sleep again for no reason the next night. Pissed off and tired I painted this 
[Image: ioi3MDZ.jpg]

which I used as a base to make the 3D sculpt I posted a while ago. Original idea was completely different but it didn't work out and I ended up with this somehow.

look at this dude

[Image: PbuYPtm.jpg]

I also made a 3D sculpt but it's kind of a shitshow lighting and shading wise and I decided to take a break from it and do some 2D. This one is inspired by super fancy place I found on mapcrunch while browsing around in South Korea. Also I'm making 3D layouts for everything I draw after the initial sketch is done just to save time. I have some small things to fix with this sketch and I'll start painting, I'm not sure what approach I'll take but I know I want a night scene and I want warm light coming from the big windows on the right. Comfy feels

[Image: f2eYLV2.jpg]

like this but somehow made good
From my perspective i would make the outside less bright to let your contrast imply that inviting feeling to go inside.The door frame help frame the character a nice choose.I feel like the weakest part is the flow that need a bit of help i felt like your line from the window were pushing the eye outside the composition so i choose to break them with some vegetation and i also added a bit more of that vegetation to break the repetition of the square shape being to evident.I also like how the vegetation create little negative shape that create interest and create a nice contrast between the outside element and the inside element.Finally i added a few branch on the left to help break that frame of the door and give more flow toward the character.I also added a bit of warm fog coming out from the ''inn'' to create a cold vs warm outside to help create the idea of something cooking inside.

I don't think you made any bad choose honesty i am just giving you an other perspective.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
[Image: 2QF8zgI.jpg]

@darktiste yea the composition is a bit of a mess right now I don't want to make the foliage like arrows pointing to the focal point so I'll try to just desaturate here and there and just play around with the amount of detail to get the effect I want. Although covering up a bit of the windows is needed
My only concern is the way you dealt with the foliage you can clearly see that leaf don't connect to anything i would say to try make sense try to connect your foliage to some kind of breach and try to overlapping stroke instead of using the eraser to create negative space if you use multiple layers you can move them around to see what work and what doesn't and this way it make it easier for you to create depth since you can isolate the layers by depth and treat the value separately.

My Sketchbook
[Image: sSjp5nR.jpg]

I really like this, only thing that's bugging me is all the tangents I made when I upped the size of the waiter dude. I'll fix them later. I decided to keep the line art on the waiter because it makes him stick out more and I want to learn how to work some line art in to my paintings. Oh and I gotta make his legs longer or something like that. Bottom needs to be cropped longer.

[Image: fukHjzW.jpg]

I started working on this today but I'm taking it easy and not investing a lot of time just yet because I got my diploma today and I'll be going out with friends to celebrate in like an hour so I don't want to burn myself out with drawing today.
[Image: BpBDdWe.jpg]

edited this a bit

[Image: zjxuuxC.jpg]

started clearing this one up and trying to make it work. I have a clear idea of what I want conceptually and lighting wise but I can't picture the image finished in my head. I normally know exactly want I want out of an image when it comes to color and the general look but this one is a bit too much.
[Image: unN2iIC.jpg]

tried a couple of different approaches but I like this one the most, I also have a gradient map set to a real low opacity that I should have flipped on for before saving this that makes everything in the bg a bit more unified. Still just trying to get a good base to work on and not really thinking about making stuff pretty, level of detail is going to be really important in this one if I want to get the eyes moving where I want them.