Coinhero's sketchbook
@Leo Ki Thanks! I always get really negative and tilted after I finish a project but in hindsight it really isn't as bad as I think it is. It's just that I know all the cheep hackjob time saves I did and only focus on them, like for example the skull isn't modeled fully it's just the face and I covered everything up with the hood :D and also his hands don't have the inside part fully sculpted because you can't see it anyway so why bother.

@Ash I'm not sure what the 2 characters on her back are to be honest I don't know Guilty Gear lore I just like playing the games but yea they did turn out better than I thought they would. If you look at them up close tho it's not that great :D skull is ok but the girl has a really stupid look on her face, I couldn't translate the reference to 3D all that well and getting lips to shade well is a pain. One thing that I think helps make them look better is that when the camera turns to show the skeleton face the background becomes darker and the opposite happens for the girl, that effect happened on accident but I really liked it and decided to keep it that way :D

[Image: 1gNmJoK.png]

Here is today's progress. Mostly modeling and moving things around with a bit of sculpting, I made the face super quickly just so I'm not looking at a low polly sphere. I have a clear plan how to get this from start to finish but there's still some parts that until I start lighting and making materials for everything I won't know if they work for sure. Stuff like the parts on the tombstone that go in might look really weird if I don't light the scene right, and I'm not sure how I'll make the stripe patterns on her clothes. Not really thinking about the composition just yet, just getting everything clear and visible and I'll figure it out later. I'm trying to keep everything consistently detailed and not focus in on one part too much. This screenshot is at a terrible angle it makes her head look really weird x.x
[Image: giphy.gif]

I originally wanted to light this in a really bright and colorful way but I ended up liking this version more. I'm not interested in getting this super clean and polished just wanted to see haw fast I can get something done and I really slacked off these last 3 days. There's something about getting all the hard parts done and then having to just finish a piece that makes me get real lazy, better stop now than waste a couple more days not doing anything. The fog didn't turn out the way I wanted but it's done with just simple volumetric scattering and I would have had to set up a fog simulation to get it to look the way I want and that's a bit too much for my PC. I love adding those stupid glowing butterfly to everything, it doesn't really make sense but it looks cute. 

I'll probably make something in 2D next.
Hi,

Looked over the last two pages and think what you're doing is awesome.

The last one turned out great!   Don't have time for a lot of reading today—so I'll ask: What 3d software did you use for the sculpt?

Do you color, light, and render it in the same software?  Do you have any "process" videos uploaded anywhere?

Sorry to barrage you with questions......

Anyway—keep it up!

(11-07-2019, 07:23 AM)Jephyr Wrote: Hi,

Looked over the last two pages and think what you're doing is awesome.

The last one turned out great!   Don't have time for a lot of reading today—so I'll ask:  What 3d software did you use for the sculpt?

Do you color, light, and render it in the same software?  Do you have any "process" videos uploaded anywhere?

Sorry to barrage you with questions......

Anyway—keep it up!

I use Blender 2.8 it's free, intuitive and it can do everything but isn't specialized in anything in particular. It's all rendered in Blender's Eevee engine, it's real time and really fast, Lighting is really simple just some area lamps and the world background is changed a bit. All materials are made in blender, here's a set up that I found that's really close to what I use 
[Image: E3s3dtl.png]

basically let's you control how flat you want the shading to be and you can also do things like assign different colors to highlights, shadows and everything in between.

My process is as simple as it gets, I'm sculpting with the goal of only making a pretty sculpt and nothing more so that's why I make everything in pose rather than a T pose model that I retopologize, bake, rig and pose. I import a reference image in blender and using the orthographic view to build out the base with spheres and cylinders to the reference proportions. All complex shapes are sculpted while others are modeled, for instance:
[Image: 9OZFTDH.png]

her sleeves are just a long tube I extruded and then assigned a different material for the loops to get the pattern that I want. Her torso is just a sphere with 2 more spheres that I boolean'd to serve as shoulders. My approach to sculpting is self taught and I can't really explain it but I don't think there's a need to because sculpting is less technical and more just doing whatever looks good to you. The snake shape is just a bezie curve turned to mesh, butterfly I made in 5 min and added an emission shader to and here's the lamps I used

[Image: XKy0fFS.png]

all white light with contact shadows. The dotted lines that are coming out of everything are because I parented everything to a plain axis empty that I'm I made rotate on the Z axis to make the turn table animation.

That's pretty much everything I can think of :D
[Image: ME2aHh2.png]

sketch I started working on. I've had this image of like this giant snake creature and some little girl charming it in my head for weeks so today I started sketching it and somehow ended up with this... idk I feel like this has potential but needs a lot of work. This is just getting something down on "paper"
I'm having more fun with 3D that 2D and I don't know what to do

[Image: udEvfsc.png]

working on this for a couple of days now. Also made this Groot sculpt for a friend so he can 3D print it and in return he'll print my Squigly sculpt.

[Image: 438mCU6.png]

it's just a super quick copy of a real figure he gave me to use as reference. I didn't bother with trying to get everything detailed because it's going to be pretty small and it's being printed on an old and cheap 3D printer so none of the detail will show anyway.
If it feel natural to you why fight the change?Enjoy what you like maybe you miss 2d one day...i think we all reach a point where we start thinking more into 3d than in 2d.I think what 2d offer is a better opportunity to put your idea out of your head compare to 3d but it will leak that volume.3d have really tool for lighting and scene and camera setting it also help create a more solidify idea once you have made a good 2d concept of something you wanna push further.Overall i think 3d is a natural progression if your into story telling for me i see myself a more of a concept artist so i would rather spend more of my time in 2d generating idea and then passing my idea to a 3d modeler as to be more specialize into idea making and be less of a modeler.But i could go 2d and 3d i just don't really care to push idea past a certain stage i am an idea junky before anything a 2d render satisfy my need maybe i am just to fresh in my art journey and limiting myself idk.Don't limit yourself if you feel you need to go that route that all there is to say.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from is own error.
(11-07-2019, 04:02 PM)Coinhero Wrote: I use Blender 2.8 it's free, intuitive and it can do everything ........

That's pretty much everything I can think of :D

Thank you for taking your time to explain your process.  I really appreciate it.

I've used Blender in the past and a long time ago was getting a good handle on Maya.

For lots of reasons I got away from that but seeing what you and others are doing makes me want to look into it again (making the time is another issue).

I'll keep referring back to your post to make sure I get it all...so thank you very much again.

All the best!