MagneticScrolls Sketchbook - Starting from the beginning again
Well so far i see your in panic and leaning toward being impatient and frustrated.I have to say your forming bad habit and taking on advance topic when you should be probably be still learning some aspect of the vocabulary to understand there lecture and example.It will be almost useless to watch someone draw if you can't understand the step there taking to advance there drawing.For all i know your really interested in portrait as far as i can tell and it an advance topic.It hard to avoid wanting to skip step when there so much to learn.It take time and practice to build confidence in your skill.What i would advice is you familiarize yourself with only working with line first no shading.Get good at getting accurate in copying.For the moment it essential you stay away from pretty drawing and focus on understanding the principle.

Since you can't find an art teacher i recommend you try to find discord so people could help you fix a few of your issue.

If you could i would like to know from what source your studying so i might give you a few tips on where to begin.

I would also advice you to redo some of the exercise on drawabox.com?

One last thing go back and read the advice i gave you and look at the pattern of problem you seem to fall into.

For closing word i would say stay cold headed breath and remember that you can only improve frustration is not gonna help you if you cannot channel into wanting to learn more.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from is own error.
It's been a long time. I had a massive shake up in real life involving my job so I've been very busy. I really want to get back into things.

I wanted to give that still life another try but unfortunately I have not been successful
Watts talks about Andrew Loomis alot. I seem to have trouble with both of them.  Find myself having trouble with his way of drawing heads but, I'm only two videos in and it's very complicated so far. I have really failed to understand anything about the rythms he talks about.

[Image: S-Still-Life.jpg]

[Image: Still-Life-1.jpg]

[Image: Still-Life-4.jpg]

[Image: Still-Life-5.jpg]

[Image: Still-Life-6.jpg]

[Image: Still-Life-7.jpg]

[Image: Heads-1.jpg]

[Image: Heads-2.jpg]

[Image: Heads-3.jpg]

[Image: Heads-4.jpg]

[Image: Heads-5.jpg]

[Image: Heads-6.jpg]

[Image: Heads-7.jpg]

[Image: S-Head-Abstraction-1.png]

[Image: Head-Abstractin-1-1.jpg]

[Image: Head-Abstraction-1-2.jpg]

[Image: S-Head-Abstraction-2.png]

[Image: Head-Abstraction-2-1.jpg]

[Image: Head-Abstraction-2-2.jpg]

[Image: S-Head-Abstraction-3.png]

[Image: Head-Abstraction-3-1.jpg]

[Image: Head-Abstraction-3-2.jpg]

(02-26-2019, 12:32 PM)darktiste Wrote: Well so far i see your in panic and leaning toward being impatient and frustrated.I have to say your forming bad habit and taking on advance topic when you should be probably be still learning some aspect of the vocabulary to understand there lecture and example.It will be almost useless to watch someone draw if you can't understand the step there taking to advance there drawing.For all i know your really interested in portrait as far as i can tell and it an advance topic.It hard to avoid wanting to skip step when there so much to learn.It take time and practice to build confidence in your skill.What i would advice is you familiarize yourself with only working with line first no shading.Get good at getting accurate in copying.For the moment it essential you stay away from pretty drawing and focus on understanding the principle.

Since you can't find an art teacher i recommend you try to find discord so people could help you fix a few of your issue.

If you could i would like to know from what source your studying so i might give you a few tips on where to begin.

I would also advice you to redo some of the exercise on drawabox.com?

One last thing go back and read the advice i gave you and look at the pattern of problem you seem to fall into.

For closing word i would say stay cold headed breath and remember that you can only improve frustration is not gonna help you if you cannot channel into wanting to learn more.

Alright here are a few things I've done from draw a box. I'm still stuck on the Rotated boxes exercise. I have been unable to grasp the concept for quiet some time and I find the video to be unhelpful.

[Image: SIL-1.jpg]

[Image: SIL-2.jpg]

[Image: Ghosting-Lines-1.jpg]

[Image: Ghosting-Lines-2.jpg]

[Image: GL-1.jpg]

[Image: GP-1.jpg]

[Image: GP-2.jpg]

[Image: Elipse-Planes.jpg]

[Image: Elipse-Planes-2.jpg]

[Image: Circles-1.jpg]

[Image: Circles-2.jpg]

[Image: Ellipses-in-Planes-1.jpg]

[Image: Ellipses-in-Planes-2.jpg]

[Image: Ellipses-in-Planes-3.jpg]

[Image: Funnels-1.jpg]

[Image: Funnels-3.jpg]

[Image: Funnels-4.jpg]

[Image: Funnles-2.jpg]

[Image: 1-Point-Perspective-1.jpg]

[Image: 1-Point-Perspective-3.jpg]

[Image: 2-Point-Perspective-1.jpg]

[Image: 2-Point-Perspective-2.jpg]

[Image: 2-Point-Perspective-3.jpg]

[Image: Rotated-Boxes-1.jpg]

[Image: Rotated-Boxes-2.jpg]

[Image: Rotated-Boxes-3.jpg]

[Image: Scan-190512-0021.jpg]

[Image: Organic-Perspective-1.jpg]

[Image: Organic-Perspective-2.jpg]

[Image: Organic-Perspective-3.jpg]

[Image: Organic-Perspective-4.jpg]

[Image: Organic-Perspective-5.jpg]

[Image: Organic-Perspective-6.jpg]

I also did a couple of Bargue Plates:

[Image: S-41-plate-I-13-hand-holding-a-whetstone.jpg]

[Image: Bargue-Plate-41.jpg]

[Image: S-42-plate-I-15-hand-of-woman-pressing-her-breast.jpg]

[Image: Bargue-Plate-42.jpg]
Going through drawing the skull. I'm having a tough time picking it up in spite of learning proportions from loomis and other sources. I can't seem to follow Watts as he draws things no matter how many times I reply the videos or how slowly I do it. I feel lost. The 3 quarters view really threw me for a loop.

[Image: S-Skull-Front.png]
[Image: Skull-Front-1.jpg]
[Image: Skull-Front-2.jpg]
[Image: Skull-Front-3.jpg]
[Image: Skull-Front-4.jpg]

[Image: S-Skull-Profile.png]
[Image: Skull-Profile-1.jpg]
[Image: Skull-Profile-2.jpg]
[Image: Skull-Profile-3.jpg]
[Image: Skull-Profile-4.jpg]

[Image: S-Skull-3-Quarters.png]
[Image: Skull-3-Quarters-1.jpg]
[Image: Skull-3-Quarters-2.jpg]
I wouldn't advise watt yet since i consider it to be aim at more advance artist i recommend you go with loomis first.Your control of line is in my opinion should be one of your priority and your sense of proportion probably suffering because of your problem to accurately replicate long arc.You also have a tendency to try mirror feature as if they where seen from a front view instead of a 3/4.I would advise for the moment to stick to more basic simplification of the head for now in my opinion if you don't understand why a line is place there you shouldn't be putting that that line unless you understand why the artist put it there.What would also help you is to be able to differenciate the different feature of the face so you understand what intructor and people who give critic here are actually talking about.Vocabulary is a tricky subject because not everyone use the same vocabulary.But it an important aspect to be able to form a process and to digest explanation from other artist.

My Sketchbook
To kinda extend on what darktiste said - I think you should take time to practice drawing a skull from a an actual photograph of a skull, not another artists drawing. It's so easy to get wrapped up in the thought process of trying to mirror what another artist has done, and you end up not really learning anything expect for how to replicate a drawing.

An exercise that could be of some use (I believe it was Scott Eaton who suggested this) is to take photographs of people and practice drawing the skull overtop of these images. It will help you understand the proportions of how skin and muscle fits around a skull, and it is good practice identifying boney landmarks on people's faces.

I also find Proko to have really good videos on youtube that simplifies Loomis' method

(05-20-2019, 01:47 PM)darktiste Wrote: I wouldn't advise watt yet since i consider it to be aim at more advance artist i recommend you go with loomis first.Your control of line is in my opinion should be one of your priority and your sense of proportion probably suffering because of your problem to accurately replicate long arc.You also have a tendency to try mirror feature as if they where seen from a front view instead of a 3/4.I would advise for the moment to stick to more basic simplification of the head for now in my opinion if you don't understand why a line is place there you shouldn't be putting that that line unless you understand why the artist put it there.What would also help you is to be able to differenciate the different feature of the face so you understand what intructor and people who give critic here are actually talking about.Vocabulary is a tricky subject because not everyone use the same vocabulary.But it an important aspect to be able to form a process and to digest explanation from other artist.

Alright,I  have started back with Loomis's book "Fun With a Pencil". At the moment I've only made it as far as Page 22

[Image: FWP-19-1.jpg]

[Image: FWP-19-2.jpg]

[Image: FWP-20-1.jpg]

[Image: FWP-20-2.jpg]

[Image: FWP-21-1.jpg]

[Image: FWP-22-1.jpg]

[Image: FWP-22-2.jpg]

(05-20-2019, 04:27 PM)chubby_cat Wrote: To kinda extend on what darktiste said - I think you should take time to practice drawing a skull from a an actual photograph of a skull, not another artists drawing. It's so easy to get wrapped up in the thought process of trying to mirror what another artist has done, and you end up not really learning anything expect for how to replicate a drawing.

An exercise that could be of some use (I believe it was Scott Eaton who suggested this) is to take photographs of people and practice drawing the skull overtop of these images. It will help you understand the proportions of how skin and muscle fits around a skull, and it is good practice identifying boney landmarks on people's faces.

I also find Proko to have really good videos on youtube that simplifies Loomis' method

I'll try to work on a photograph of a skull this week. Then once im a little better at sketching them try to draw over some faces.
Watched a couple of Proko videos and didn't get much out of them.  Maybe I went for ones that were too advanced for me.
You have to work on that ''chicken'' stratch linework.Try to take your time drawing the line learning how to draw good looking curve without rushing them it will help you advance to more polish drawing less sketchy and more cartoonish.

My Sketchbook
(05-28-2019, 08:18 PM)darktiste Wrote: You have to work on that ''chicken'' stratch linework.Try to take your time drawing the line learning how to draw good looking curve without rushing them it will help you advance to more polish drawing less sketchy and more cartoonish.

I'm attempting to but, I'm having lots of trouble with accuracy. My attempts barely resemble his work. I don't know what I'm doing at this point

[Image: FWP-22-1.jpg]

[Image: FWP-23-1.jpg]

[Image: FWP-24-1.jpg]

[Image: FWP-26-1.jpg]

[Image: FWP-27-1.jpg]

[Image: FWP-28-1.jpg]

[Image: FWP-29-1.jpg]

[Image: FWP-30-1.jpg]

[Image: FWP-31-1.jpg]

[Image: FWP-31-2.jpg]

[Image: FWP-31-3.jpg]

Up to Page 31 right now. I'm still less than 1/4 through "Fun With a Pencil" right now. I feel like I'm moving far too slowly and not doing the lessons properly. I feel like I'm failing here.
There no grade there no time limit just you to keep disciplining yourself to try until you figure out how to move over the problem you face.There no secret first you learn the theory and you figure out how to apply it into exercise and you try to come up with new exercise to improve those weakness you find.Trust me you're result could be much worst if you didn't try.

My Sketchbook
For page 33 I added a grid to some of the images I have used before to get a better idea of how to go through with the idea.

I'm still not at all accurate and it still hinders me. Even though I try to focus on accuracy I'm not getting any better at it.

Currently up to Page 39 right now.

[Image: FWP-32-1.jpg]

[Image: FWP-33-S1.jpg]

[Image: FWP-33-1.jpg]

[Image: FWP-33-2.jpg]

[Image: FWP-33-S2.jpg]

[Image: FWP-33-3.jpg]

[Image: FWP-33-S3.jpg]

[Image: FWP-33-4.jpg]

[Image: FWP-34-1.jpg]

[Image: FWP-34-2.jpg]

[Image: FWP-34-3.jpg]

[Image: FWP-34-4.jpg]

[Image: FWP-34-5.jpg]

[Image: FWP-36-1.jpg]

[Image: FWP-37-1.jpg]

[Image: FWP-38-1.jpg]
Well to be honest accuracy is also a matter of time but it also a matter of being more into the present not daydreaming but actually focusing on drawing and what your doing.It still take though to put line on the paper it not just random line your alway measuring,estimating distance and angle and thw curvature of the line.

My Sketchbook
(07-01-2019, 06:44 PM)darktiste Wrote: Well to be honest accuracy is also a matter of time but it also a matter of being more into the present not daydreaming but actually focusing on drawing and what your doing.It still take though to put line on the paper it not just random line your alway  measuring,estimating distance and angle and thw curvature of the line.
I'm trying as best I can to measure things but somehow they don't always work out.
I'm also seeing a lot of my stuff is flat and looks really off  in some manner that I find to hard describe.

[Image: FWP-38-2.jpg]

[Image: FWP-38-3.jpg]

[Image: FWP-39-1.jpg]

[Image: FWP-39-2.jpg]

[Image: FWP-39-3.jpg]

[Image: FWP-40-1.jpg]

[Image: FWP-41-1.jpg]

[Image: FWP-41-2.jpg]

[Image: FWP-41-3.jpg]

[Image: FWP-41-4.jpg]

[Image: FWP-42-1.jpg]

[Image: FWP-42-2.jpg]

[Image: FWP-42-3.jpg]

[Image: FWP-43-1.jpg]

[Image: FWP-44-1.jpg]

[Image: FWP-44-2.jpg]

[Image: FWP-45-1.jpg]

I'm current up to page 45 right now
Let get back to something more basic i think your trying to go to fast for the moment.Try to copy those ball except the two first one and make sure the line are clean.No scribble line.Draw 12 same size cercle i don't care about the size of the circle no bigger than water bottle cap.I would not recommend you to draw the axis yet if you cannot draw 12 cercle of the same size first.Once you manage to draw 12 consecutive cercle with same size you can try to add the axis like shown in the example. 

The no point in copying something complex if you can't draw a decent looking ball with axis on them trust me.I recommend you repeat the exercise 2-4 time start with two and post your result and i tell you if you should move on or not.

The point of the exercise is to help make consistent good looking cercle and to and help you to start to draw axis on a ball those thing are the basic of drawing any head.Master this and you get more confidence in your ability to go forward.

It might seem to be a pointless exercise but we all do the error and overlook this exercise.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook