Shinkasuru's Sketchbook
I'll start my sketchbook with a few head studies. Mostly Loomis stuff. My day is looking pretty open tomorrow so I'm hoping to work on some more stuff.

I'm getting back to basics since I haven't drawn that much for awhile. I'm not setting up some regimented routine for myself because experience tells me that I likely won't stick with whatever I outline for myself, or I'll get caught up in the whirlwind of everyday life and then I'll just feel bad that I couldn't stick with it. So I'm doing what I can, when I can. I need a lot of work. Head studies, hands and feet (I have practically no experience with this), figure studies, and then other interests of mine like some environments, character design, and painting portraits. A  lot of things I am interested in here, but I don't want to overwhelm myself.

So here is the beginning of what I hope will be a productive and prolific sketchbook that shows steady progression over time.

Attached Files Image(s)

These are my first few digital paintings. I knew nothing about digital painting, and I wasn't sure how to get started. YouTube videos didn't seem to have enough information to get me started with a project and guide me through completion, so I found Hardy Fowler's course on Udemy and tried it out. The techniques he uses are interesting. I have never seen it used before; however, I have moved on to other methods of painting at this point. But this was helpful to me in completing my first few digital paintings.

These are stylistic comic-style characters. These were all completed for the course projects, so the designs are not original; however, I took liberties with each one, and went in my own direction with the punk girl.

I wasn't going to post these at first, but I think it's good to see one's progression, and since these were my first attempts at painting digitally, i thought it my be beneficial to include them as a marker for where I was when I started and wherever I end up.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey there Shinkasuru, nice start here.  Definitely a good idea to do Loomis heads.  I just had a quick comment on one of your Loomis heads, if that's OK.

Be careful with your brow line, you seem to be placing it a bit high.  Remember when you start with the ball, the brow line is the equator of the ball.  I've just done a quick draw-over to illustrate my point.

Hope that helps mate.

Keep going!

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Hey Artloader,

Thanks for pointing that out. I indeed continued the midpoint of the sphere through the eye line and not the eyebrow on that one.

Thanks again!
A pleasure mate, although according to the Loomis method, the equator line (or continued midpoint as you put it) extends to the brow line and not the eye line, apologies if I was not clear in that in my last post to you. My arrow with the "not the brow line" note was pointing at your red line - it was placed to high for a brow line.

Good luck!

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Nice work, I think your painting show some good understanding of the plane of the head.

Keep it going !
I think those ears are a bit to front facing maybe she as those dumbo ears just make sure it intentional.Most of the time we show more than we should this kind of stuff also happen in 3/4 view.Take a glass for example if your not aware you will have the tendancy to show much more of the opening than it should show this as to do with symbol drawing.It basicly the idea that the brain make you draw what it know of the object instead of you actually intentionally muting this and looking at the real way it is.Sorry if i am overeacting just want to make you aware of this brain trickery.

Also note that those pupil should be more rounded and less ellipstic also her eye are in a unatural position if you compare them to the tilt of the head and the direction she look at.The pupil should have both the bottom and eyelid hiding it partially.Look at the example provided how in the second picture the women as her head tilted and how you can see it make the pupil go up and get covered by the upper eyelid will we can barely see abit more of the white of the eye on the bottom.
[Image: Punk%20Girl_old.jpg]

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Smile 
darktiste: Thank you for your feedback. I agree with you regarding the ears. That's been a little problem of mine. I tend to notice this on many of my drawings and for some reason I always fail to correct it. It's only if I am working from reference that I might avoid that issue. I will keep this in mind and try to correct it next time I am drawing a front view. Thanks for the observation. You are absolutely correct about the eyes as well. They do not look natural. It's always interesting to me what you might observe in another's drawing as a fault, but you miss it in your own. I will try to be more cognizant of the placement of the pupils next time. I appreciate your feedback.

Baldgate: Thank you! I have sculpted for many years, so I feel pretty comfortable with the forms and planes of the head.

Artloader: Thank you, I see your point. I think I'm comfortable with the concept, but I clearly missed in on that particular head. Thanks again for catching it!
Never draw hair like "single-line-hair". Think of it like masses. Each mass of hair has its own value. And then just build you hairstyle from these little masses.

Thank you, Anton for your feedback. I do agree with you and I think I was aware of it at the time I was painting this, but I recall just wanting to get it done and I was having some trouble with the hair, so I just did what I had to to finish it. But I am definitely keeping this in mind and working to improve it.
I drew this last year. Not a very good likeness, but I thought the drawing was pretty good at the time I finished it.

Attached Files Image(s)

Here is another drawing from last year of the main character from the movie, I, Daniel Blake.

Attached Files Image(s)

The ear is a little high, but the portrait is good, i liked .
---
Sorry, I write with errors using Google translate.
Really cool Keanu reeves Likeness !
And yeah, as Atom pointed out, ears are a little hight
Thank you Atom and Baldgate. Yes, you are right. The ears are a little high. I think I might have noticed it after the fact, but I had already finished and didn't want to go back and revise so I left it.

Thanks as always for the feedback. I always appreciate it.
Some more head studies.

Attached Files Image(s)

A drawing I did last year of Rick Baker, a retired special makeup effects artist who did the makeup effects for Men in Black 1,  2, and 3; An American Werewolf in London; Gorillas in the Mist; The Wolfman; etc.

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice pencil study !

I like the shapes and drawing of the girls and the madman with crazy open snakes eyes and wide smile ...!
Thank you, Baldgate.
A graphite drawing I did last year of Evil Ed from the movie, Fright Night.

Attached Files Image(s)