Beau's Sketchbook
What might be looking chaotic can turn chaotic.The important thing is that you work in a way that is smart rather then sloppy.Your not gonna help yourself posting sloppy looking drawing because you will not recieve comment that are relevent to what your trying to achieve because people will have problem translating what your actually trying to do.Here the core of my message simplify your line or simply use flat value in the thumbnailing stage no need to use different brush when thumbnailing you only need an hard brush and like 3 to 5 value.Also stay away from line because they often push you to commit to a drawing to early. If you can try to stick to the essential you need all your brain to focus on value and composition in the early stage of a drawing in my opinion.

[Image: run.png]Thanks darkiste, I kept line conservation in mind with this study I did today, and like trying to earase as little as possible and really focus on getting it right the first time. Obviously I erased a bit, but less than I would have without focusing on this. I included a bit of loose thumbnails for a splash screen, of an adventurer in pyramid ruins with those reanimated skeletons around him. I want the final to look either Hearthstone-y or MTG. Sorry if you don't feel like these are worth critiqueing, these are more for my own accountability than anything. I should be posting the final image from one of these in a couple of days, though, and I'll make that as close to my current skill level as possible.The boxed off parts of the comps down there are ffor the title (tbd) and START GAME and OPTIONS. I think top right feels the best, even though top left feels more eerie, and bottom right feels kind of Indiana Jones.

I'm sorry if it looks like I don't care about your criticisms with regards to this first image looking sloppy and rushed- I don't know, I guess I was;t focusing while doing it. The skeleton from a couple days ago was a big jump in my inking ability I think, and I didn't spend as much time remaking my lines as on other pieces. I'm taking everyone's words to heart, thank you all for your critiques. I've felt myself improving more the past month than in the past several years of drawing in my sketchbook. Going to post a 1 hour figure drawing session's sketches in here later tonight after some more client stuff.

Btw, in the study, tried to draw a perspective grid on another layer, drew it on the same layer, and messed up the location of a point, which is why there are three, but I know that the left point would be further offscreen than it is and I did not place it there because I thought it was correct. 

[Image: splash.png]

Sketchbook (updated daily) https://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-8600.html

discord: Beau#4149

1. Use the biggest brush possible for a given passage.
2. Paint large shapes first, followed by small shapes.
3. Save your tonal and chromatic accents until the last.
4. Try to soften any edge that doesn’t need to be sharp.
5. Take time to get the center of interest right.

Or, the briefer version: (B.L.A.S.T.)
Big brushes.
Large to small.
Accents last.
Soften edges.
Take your time. 

(James Gurney)
Extremely freeing, just sGesture study, one to two lines. I actually feel like I learned a ton from this... Confidence and just how simple you can imply forms to have them read. Extremely freeing, just served to reming me how much time and energy I'm wasting in the way I have done lines up until now. It's a deeply ingrained habit that's hard to kick- I'll try to post some art from the past year sometime soon, both to help you critique my progress and to show my bad habits I've been ignoring.[Image: Single_line_gesture.png]
Then some Durarara comps, not sure about the color, only added it for story reasons to separaate them, but I may end up discarding that and going with some compositional background shapes, or just making the colors subtle in their outfits. [Image: Durarara.png]
Found out I have a hard time drawing basic standing female gestures, esppescially since Anri's so reserved and full figured- challenging combination.

Sketchbook (updated daily) https://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-8600.html

discord: Beau#4149

1. Use the biggest brush possible for a given passage.
2. Paint large shapes first, followed by small shapes.
3. Save your tonal and chromatic accents until the last.
4. Try to soften any edge that doesn’t need to be sharp.
5. Take time to get the center of interest right.

Or, the briefer version: (B.L.A.S.T.)
Big brushes.
Large to small.
Accents last.
Soften edges.
Take your time. 

(James Gurney)
I was refering to the thumbnail only not the skeleton piece.

Hi Beau,
I really like your skellies! Drawing all those bones is extremely hard! For the learning purposes only and not to critique your ideas, I should mention: be careful, not rush it seems that you lose your skeleton's nasal bone.