Tank Rat's Sketchbook
Love the 3D wireframe studies, you nailed them! Very impressive work!

Man, this is so cool: You are kind of doing what I am doing.
But you are ahead and you did so many pages over pages over pages. Omg!
Pretty cool and inspiring.

Especially on page 4, when you drew mannequins, which you then colored red, blue, yellow, orange and so on in their most basic parts (know what picture I mean?). That was interesting! (the one I am talking about was a fat and a slim person.)
Necroposting to say you have a really good grasp of 3-D forms. Rock on.
Nice stuff!

As someone else said, I don't think you want to be creating organic forms when doing background art.

IMO, the most important thing to understand when doing environment from imagination is understanding the size of everything.

The general size for a Japanese house, from floor to roof is about 240 cm, the general size from floor to the top of a doorway is 200 cm, the size of a "normal" window is 120 cm, etc etc

If you understand the general size of everything, it becomes much easier to set things in space, and not have it look unnatural. If you try to eyeball it, you will come up with very strange environments.
I took a picture of Yoshida Seiji's book about environment drawing to illustrate what I'm talking about

(10-15-2022, 09:43 AM)cgmythology Wrote: Love the 3D wireframe studies, you nailed them!  Very impressive work!

Thanks, I'm hoping I can do better this year.
(11-22-2022, 12:47 AM)lvlingArtist Wrote: Man, this is so cool: You are kind of doing what I am doing.
But you are ahead and you did so many pages over pages over pages. Omg!
Pretty cool and inspiring.

Especially on page 4, when you drew mannequins, which you then colored red, blue, yellow, orange and so on in their most basic parts (know what picture I mean?). That was interesting! (the one I am talking about was a fat and a slim person.)

Thanks man, I really appreciate the kind words.
(02-25-2023, 02:13 AM)Dominicque Wrote: Necroposting to say you have a really good grasp of 3-D forms. Rock on.

Thanks for looking through my posts even though I haven't posted in like 2 years. Lol
(02-25-2023, 05:11 PM)Kilillan Wrote: Nice stuff!

As someone else said, I don't think you want to be creating organic forms when doing background art.

IMO, the most important thing to understand when doing environment from imagination is understanding the size of everything.

The general size for a Japanese house, from floor to roof is about 240 cm, the general size from floor to the top of a doorway is 200 cm, the size of a "normal" window is 120 cm, etc etc

If you understand the general size of everything, it becomes much easier to set things in space, and not have it look unnatural. If you try to eyeball it, you will come up with very strange environments.
I took a picture of Yoshida Seiji's book about environment drawing to illustrate what I'm talking about

Yeah, you both were definitely right about that. Those are also good tips I'll keep in mind. For now I'm gonna try to take things slow and start with just using reference, then in time try building things from imagination. That's a really good book by the way, wish there was an English translation.
I stopped posting due to a combination of burnout and getting sick. When I couldn't draw I wanted to do "something", so I started learning how to use Blender. It was fun. Later down the line I got this idea of being good enough. "you can start posting when you're good enough". When you think that way, that day never comes. So I told myself I'd post Friday and from then on I'd force myself to do 2 things, post regularly and prioritize creation over studies. Gonna post a few things. I'm still trying to find a combination of methods for heads and faces. I also did a small 3d project to practice what I learned. It was a CRT TV, a VCR, and tapes. I'll also throw in a few other things I did while playing around in blender.

Attached Files Image(s)

This is my week so far. First I'd do draw overs to get a feel for this specific body type I want to be able to do. Then try to apply what I learned about breaking down the head and face to cartoon/anime characters. I wanted to focus on male faces since I was always bad at drawing men. Then I'd do a page of sketches to play with what I learned. I'm gonna use the weekends to fully experiment so that I'm actually making things and developing a style .

Attached Files Image(s)

Also you can trace your trace stuff if you work traditional or you can copy paste those line art and add up detail on top and use those base to iterate on the design.

That a quick tips if you are exploring to create new character.

One thing i would to if you want to push your form is try to look for different type of athlete and watch which muscle group is the most dominant so you know how to push the muscle when you want certain attribut. For example a sumo vs a bodybuilder .

A way to think about body type is to think about a specific sport and look at the different position for example football.Each position as it own different body type.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.