Tank Rat's Sketchbook
Hey, just wanted to pop in and say that your sketchbook is super inspiring! Your sense of form is amazing!
(09-11-2021, 06:05 AM)maggotjuicebox Wrote: Hey, just wanted to pop in and say that your sketchbook is super inspiring! Your sense of form is amazing!
Thanks for stopping by, man. If there's something you think I can help you with, don't hesitate to ask.
A few more studies

Attached Files Image(s)

Don't forget to mix in some personal work from time to time see how you can transfer what you learned to thing that aren't just pure copy of what your study but invention.The last primitive at the middle of the last post is a good exercise for getting the mindset of a sculptor you can add form to it pretty much indefinitely.Also you have a heavy focus on form right now maybe you could switch it up a little bit to add more gesture and putting character and thing into perspective also.Nothing wrong about being focus it a quality i can admire. But it good to refresh yourself with new knowledge to boost confidencenot that you seem to leak any...

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Great studies! I love your analytical approach to them! Keep up the good work!

(09-13-2021, 11:20 AM)darktiste Wrote: Don't forget to mix in some personal work from time to time see how you can transfer what you learned to thing that aren't just pure copy of what your study but invention.The last primitive at the middle of the last post is a good exercise for getting the mindset of a sculptor you can add form to it pretty much indefinitely.Also you have a heavy focus on form right now maybe you could switch it up a little bit to add more gesture and putting character and thing into perspective also.Nothing wrong about being focus it a quality i can admire. But it good to refresh yourself with new knowledge to boost confidencenot that you seem to leak any...
Since I started trying to post here more consistently, I've been working traditionally in my sketchbook and cleaning everything up in CSP. I have made a few attempts at personal projects , but I really didn't like working this way. It takes alotta time and I didn't have the ability to do drafts/revisions digitally.  So I set a few milestones to reach this month to finally kick this crutch for good. One being able to work from start to finish digitally. I'm so close, I just gotta grind a bit more and I'm golden. Then It'll be time to switch things up. As always, I appreciate your input and advice Darktiste. Just one more detour though. Nervous smile, ahehe
(09-15-2021, 12:54 AM)Zorrentos Wrote: Great studies! I love your analytical approach to them! Keep up the good work!
I'll do my best. Thanks for stopping by, man!
I made another attempt at breaking down a face from a photo (Hideaki Ishi), but this a bit simpler. I'm comfortable with most of the features, but the eyes and their relationship to the brow and keystone.

Attached Files Image(s)

Few more heads. I'm going through Charles Hu's anatomy lessons, starting with the head.

Attached Files Image(s)

I actually made something. Not gonna lie, I don't like it, but I'm glad I did it. Now that I got that over with, I want have something done (even if its small) for each post. [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]The second page is me practicing blending and trying to make something with those colors. Lately[/font] I haven't been as productive as I wanna be, so I'm thinking of putting together a schedule of what I need to be working on each day. I've been doing things as I go and it feels like I need to manage my time better.

Attached Files Image(s)

It an hard task to determine what we should be prioritizing and it require quick decision making that can be hard to weight against one an other.But like any art path you gotta touch a bit of everything and that where priority and balance are as much of a skill as anything else.

The trap of being list obessive is that you can tend not to priortize the right thing if you want to do everything on the list.I find it better to try to get better at being honest about what you should be practicing but a cycle is probably the best way to go about it to keep it balance and once you find out what fundamental are your strenght and what are your weakness you can adjust accordingly and you can also adjust it in function of that branch your trying to ''specialize'' in if that a thing you favor instead of being a generalist.

The small list here are what i would refer as the main branch which can be subdivide into there one set of specific exercise.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Great studies here, love how you broke down everything into simple geometrical shapes. Keep it going!

(09-19-2021, 07:10 PM)darktiste Wrote: It an hard task to determine what we should be prioritizing and it require quick decision making that can be hard to weight against one an other.But like any art path you gotta touch a bit of everything and that where priority and balance are as much of a skill as anything else.

The trap of being list obessive is that you can tend not to priortize the right thing if you want to do everything on the list.I find it better to try to get better at being honest about what you should be practicing but a cycle is probably the best way to go about it to keep it balance and once you find out what fundamental are your strenght and what are your weakness you can adjust accordingly and you can also adjust it in function of that branch your trying to ''specialize'' in if that a thing you favor instead of being a generalist.

The small list here are what i would refer as the main branch which can be subdivide into there one set of specific exercise.
I totally agree. Thanks for the list by the way. I feel like I kinda lost my direction for a bit. After I post, I'm gonna use it to help prioritize my studies. I'm really trying not to get impatient, but I really wanna start making personal work instead of just practicing.
(09-19-2021, 07:29 PM)cgmythology Wrote: Great studies here, love how you broke down everything into simple geometrical shapes.  Keep it going!
Thanks for dropping in, man.
I've been trying to get a ton of mileage on my tablet. Gonna spend the rest of the day getting back on track.

Attached Files Image(s)

I'm super impressed of your tenacity with all the shapes. I could neeeever do so many box studies. Wish I could, I'm sure I would benefit greatly from them. :)
I guess I would suggest besides blending in even more imaginative work also try do do some lifedrawings in between, preferably people and preferably naked ones hehe. Then you can combine the boxshapes with the natural thing. Maybe you do this as well though, I'm not sure if they're from reference or not?

Great sketchbook keep it up!

Perhaps avoid overcrowding your canva with to many drawing because you will get proportion issue drawing that way if your not careful. Just a thought.

My Sketchbook
Hey Rat, read your post in Advice section, I think you're doing well, keep on going!
doing a few studies (I can see that you really think/analyze and learn, and not just blindly copy!) and then making a small imaginative painting like that girl with glasses looks like a solid approach

Hey, I definitely see the progress over the pages in here, keep it up! You're doing well to do the analytical studies like you are, really focusing on planes and stuff. Have you checked out Devin Korwin's tutorials at all? He would probably be of interest to you.

I'd say keep doing what you're doing, and also make sure to do some gesture drawing warmups also to practice flow and rhythm in addition to the more solid studies so that you study movement and balance as well. The imaginative girl painting is looking good.

To push it to the next level, I'd say look up Mike Azevedo's color tutorial. He really explains color and light in a way that will open your mind to a new way of seeing. It will help you a lot with colors in your shadows, etc.

Keep it up, I'm looking forward to more : )
Great sketchbook! Your form and anatomy/structure studies are really great and shows a strong understanding of these things.
I'm a big fan of the girl with the cool glasses- i'd be curious to see how you'd approach some more imaginative drawings like that one. I think you'd become great at it quickly considering your current analytical abilities!